My son found out he has HIV

My son is a Meth user. He is 24 and found out this week he has HIV. He has a slight learning disorder and is having a hard time dealing with his sickness.

He is very confused and scared. I am trying to hook him with right resources to help him. Please keep him in prayer. His name is Daniel

13 Likes

Hi earl so sorry to hear that.are you us or uk?any bad news around health is scary but medicines advanced so much and people now live very long’normal’lives with hiv now.your clearly a very loving and supportive parent i understand itll be absolutely terrifying for you all ill keep you in my prayers

3 Likes

I will pray for Daniel and for you. This is a hard blow to deal with but medicine has progressed enormously in recent decades (my Uncle died with AIDS in the eighties) and now people can live full and long lives. Is Daniel able to access this treatment?

3 Likes

Im very sorry to hear that. Medicine has advanced so far that it is not the awful thing it once was. Wishing you and Daniel all the best.

1 Like

So sorry to hear :cry: I’m not a prayer, but I have light a candle for him.

6 Likes

Poor lad send him my best wishes. Treatment for HIV has developed significantly over the years and is not the end of the world. Its treatable and Daniel can have a near normal life. Will pray for him and wish him all the best in turning his life around.

2 Likes

Hi Earl,

I’m very sorry to hear this. Is he still using meth? I would say it’s really important to get him help with that, as the HIV can be managed and controlled and is no longer a devastating illness if treated properly, if he continues using meth that will probably not help his treatment.

I have a couple of friends with HIV who live happy, healthy normal lives, through medication which is basically one pill a day, their viral count is now undetectable and non-transmissible, the only impact it has on them now is they have to take a pill daily. Psycologically it took them a bit of getting used to but they are happy healthy people now.

Depending on where you live there are lots of support organisations available who will be able to educate you on this.

It would be worth googling HIV support for your area, a lot of it might seem aimed at Gay men, but please don’t let that deter you as they have a lot of experience in dealing with HIV and will be happy to try and help you if you reach out to them.

My local HIV charity link is below, if you look at their site, it might help answer some of your questions.

https://www.tht.org.uk/

Praying for Daniel :pray::pray::pray:

Best wishes.

David

16 Likes

Hi Earl. I am so very sorry to hear this. My husband’s brother died of AIDS in the 90’s from using a dirty needle. But, the good news is, medications and the amount of information they know are so much better than back then. Praying for you and him as you navigate this hard time. We are here for you.

2 Likes

So sorry to hear that…prayers up​:pray::pray: