My way from day one to present ❤️

When I hear people say “I really don’t want a religious program of recovery”. ( I smile a little and think to myself hmmm… School Spirit, and Game Spirit were they religious all this time?) For me AA is a Spiritual program. but not really a religious one. However do keep looking- check out S.M.A.R.T. recovery-Mike Massey is awesome, or Life Ring… Please whatever you do don’t stop coming. We need you.

2 Likes

I just have been to a Freundeskreis meeting here and it was all about community and no talking about religion. That’s the same in Kreuzbund meetings I attended. No matter what organisation they are.
And then a meeting the Caritas set up for younger addicts. And they asked me :crazy_face::see_no_evil:

I hope my guessing is correct that you are German.

2 Likes

Freundeskreis sounds nice, I checked their website and they offer a guided Chat from 7pm-9pm every day, easy to access.
I also wrote to AA here in my city and got so many answers already :heart_eyes: I have to check what’s near me. Seems that every place offers a meeting on Wednesdays, 1x/week. Better than nothing.

I do hesitate with AA because I don’t want to sit there and “pray” you know? That would feel awkward to me.
I’m happy for everyone of you guys who went there and liked it.
I will give it a try bc I think it’s better to physically go somewhere and talk face to face. Feels different than only chatting and, maybe, has more of an impact to me. Don’t know. I’ll see.

7 Likes

Had my first Freundeskreis Chat but it’s horrible via Smartphone. Next time I’ll use my computer.
Very nice people there and I got some good questions I have to ask myself.
Now dinner and some reading.
It was a good day :relieved:

4 Likes

I found a group that meets every Wednesday not far from my apartment. I can walk there.
Tomorrow I have to work til 8:30/9pm so I won’t have time to go, but next week I do go there.

3 Likes

You like that the decision is from within you the second thing you have to use the phone and not carry money
I wish God’s peace and strength for you in your life

2 Likes

Awesome planning, friend. You should be very proud of yourself

2 Likes

My intestines are doing something that feels like breakdancing today :weary: I know, the first week sucks.
But maybe the burger I had was just too much? Hm.
I should eat more healthy greens, gonna start with that tomorrow.
No racing thoughts today, that’s really nice. Quitting Twitter was a good step, I should focus on me and my health now. Whatever happens in the world happens, if I know about it or not.
Good night :wave:

3 Likes

Just came home from the Doctors office, I won 4 days of strict rest. Got some medicine for my gastritis that 100% was caused by the alcohol I had.
My body is clearly saying me if I ever do this again I’ll end up in hospital.

On the way home I got everything I need for chicken soup and Zwieback (double toasted bread, good for an upset belly).

Now tea and tv.

6 Likes

I love double toasted bread! I usually have it with cheese and charcuterie :yum:

Glad to hear you are taking some time to rest. You deserve it :innocent:

2 Likes

And I desperately need it.
I slept until now, being sick sucks. I’ll try to make some soup with veggies and chicken now.

2 Likes

Feel better soon…

1 Like

I had friend who once advised me to “enjoy the fever”. I thought he was crazy but he explained: “A fever is a clear, unmistakable signal you need rest; most signals in life are not that clear. Take this opportunity, and rest. Rest deeply. You need it and you have a clear call to do it.”

Enjoy your discomfort. Most signals in life are not that clear :innocent:

6 Likes

I start to feel stronger and like me again.
Had some good cries today, took a long shower to wash the dirt off of me and now I’m sitting on my bed and watch an UFO documentary (what else :wink::relaxed:) .
Weekends are difficult to most of us bc of the boredom or the thoughts that kick in.
I’m still pretty occupied by my gastritis so I wouldn’t have alcohol now anyway.
But there will be another weekend. And another.
And then I’ll come here or jump in the Freundeskreis meeting.
And next week I’ll go to my first ever AA meeting :blush:

3 Likes

Hello! No need to feel ashamed, although I know it is inevitable.
I too am stressed over some everyday stuff and, of course, above all, the risk of a war here in Europe and the inflation and everything… it is too much. It isn’t affecting my sobriety, not at the moment - and I hope it won’t - but it is really affecting my mood. We’re all… well, lots of people is at least a bit depressed and concerned about what’s going to happen.
I’m trying to organize my schedule and return to the gym and get out a little more… but most of my close friends are busy and I am so lousy in organizing stuff lately, even though I can say that I have been working a lot lately.
I started to go to individual online classes of italian (only conversation, because I don’t want to lose my Italian accent :slight_smile: and I love the discussions, the topics etc.
Find something interesting and/or relaxing to do.
And remember: baby steps. You CAN do it.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed during my stint in sobriety that lots of us have come from the belief in the idea that modern society constantly teaches that is to do whatever makes you happy. Be true to yourself. Be authentic to yourself.

The problem with this mindset is it is extremely unfulfilling. It’s this self first mindset that I believe leaves the alcoholic/user feeling completely unfulfilled that we seek out damaging forms of fulfillment.

My grandfather was German too and lost his father in a ferry accident when his car went overboard with my great grandfather inside when he was in 7th grade. My Grandfather had seven brothers and sisters. He left school in 7th grade to work seven days per work so his young six siblings had something to eat and clothing to wear.

The irony to this story is my Grandfather’s happiest days of his life was bringing home a pay check at 12 years old to hand to his mother who barely spoke English. If I would have told my Grandfather what makes me happiest is doing what I want to do or doing things for purely self gratification he would never have been able to understand when his happiest days came from completely selfless.

My good friend Kent is a prime example of modern thinking that self gratification makes you happy. Kent has everything, a million dollar beach house, good looks, successful business, good at sports and surfing. No kids. But at 50 he is the most miserable person I know. He literally sucks the life out of a room when he walks in. He is the opposite of my Grandfather, he’s spent his entire life subscribing to what modern pop culture teaches to be true to himself self gratification is good. But he’s miserable.

I asked Kent once, “when you catch a really great wave is anyone watching who is more excited for you catching that wave than catching it themselves?” He looked at me beyond puzzled. Didn’t even know the concept that watching a kid you taught to hit a baseball is more exciting then hitting a home run yourself. Or my Grandfather working sun up to sun down to feed his younger siblings was the favorite part and most rewarding
part of his life.

I’ve never been to AA online or in person. I’ve heard great things. I always hear people discount the meetings because they’re religious in some form? But I truly think these meetings work because they teach the message to be selfless instead of being selfish.

Believing in a hire power is more about being selfless which might help change the thought process of lots of addicts who have been raised with the selfish mindset. Selflessness provides for happiness that isn’t dependent on circumstances. My Grandfather died 15 years ago but I still strive to be more selfless maybe someone reading this will take down Armour.

9 Likes

Thank you for the compliments. I do a lot of reading. I’m sure somewhere along the line I’ve read some AA?

That’s beyond awesome about the garage.

Becoming sober opens your eyes so much because prior it’s all about self survival. I remember the first time I got sober a close friend rented a cabin for five families for her 40th birthday. I was the only adult not drinking and everyone was giving me crap for not drinking. I went to bed early and heard everyone party well into the night.

The next morning I was up early everyone was a wreck. Passed out and still sleeping. I grabbed my kids and headed to the ski slopes. This was my kids first day skiing. I signed them up for lessons and they had a blast.

Every time I see them ski I think sobriety did that. Had I been drinking who knows how many years would have gone by before I got my ass up early. It’s motivation now that they’re expert skiers and leave me in the dust that sobriety is why they are out there!!!

5 Likes

I used to have this feeling in my job, I’m a doctor’s assistant. Helping others is what I do every day, but in the last years something happened to me that made me unable to see the good we do. I focused on the bad. And that slowly pulled me down a black hole, I didn’t realized this until it was too late.
Well, that’s in the past. I’ll concentrate on the now.
You guys are right, the most beautiful thing is to see someone else being happy because of something you did for them.
Maybe this is what I miss.
I always thought I miss having a partner, but maybe this is not my main goal in this life. Helping others sounds beautiful.
And a hobby, yes, I don’t have a hobby anymore.
I have everything here to start one though.
Lots of ideas :slightly_smiling_face: Thank you guys :kissing_heart:

8 Likes

Yea get a hobby. The best part of being sober is you actually wake up wanting to do fun stuff that might actually take energy.

Like what was said above being a sober uncle is an amazing opportunity for you. There is a term for a drunk uncle. My kids call their drunk uncle Drunkle unfortunately but that’s reality.

3 Likes

The day at work went better than expected. I feel clear in my head and I’m able to focus better without rests of alcohol or pills in my system.
My coworkers talked about their weekend and how much alcohol they had. One even fell on her butt in the Club, they filmed her and made a GIF about that. Everyone found that funny.
She drank so much that she needed 2 days to recover from it.
Damn.
I’m grateful where I am right now, my mental space. Looking forward to Wednesday, I’m a little bit nervous tho.

9 Likes