Need to be held accountable - travels, social occasions and life as it is

I’m leaving on a business trip now and have a dreadful feeling that I could relapse.

It’s a stressful trip, with stressful people and I’ll have to socialize the best I can. Drinks will be around, for sure. The amount of triggers I see comming is scaring me big time.

I’ll try to check in here. Any words of support are appreciated.

Please help.

31 Likes

Keep us in your pocket…the cravings hit…go to the bathroom and talk to us!

One of the things that helped me: “normal” people dont drink stress away. There are a lot of people out there that just dont drink. If they can manage, then I should be able too…for me it was an epiphany!

9 Likes

Hey Anna, it’s good you’re checking in.

Have a plan: when alcohol is around, always have an af drink in your hand, so nobody can get you drink.

Practice saying No thanks.

Rehearse giving a reason. I like to stick with I don’t drink cos it’s easy to remember but some folks like to have a made up one like antibiotics or coming up for surgery or sth. Whatever it is for you that you can say to ppl, practice it.

Dont stay longer than you need to in situations that have alcohol or that stress you. Excuse yourself and take alone time.

Set yourself a timer for every couple hrs to come on here to check in.

Early bed.

Plan something pleasant for yourself only like read a new book in the hotel bed or take a nice bath. Anything that’s safe and legal to help you not drink is allowed.

See you soon on here!

13 Likes

Thank you, both.

I’m checking if skipping the dinner would be ok. I’m not sure if it will, may not be good for my career, but…I’ll avoid it if I can.

Would much prefer to be away, in my hotel room, and avoid having the drinks right in front of me, everyone having a merry good time as they do, and as I’ve done in the past.

6 Likes

Glad you’re here Anna. Let us and this place be your lifeline. Please come here BEFORE the urges become too strong. If you can’t avoid the social drinking situations, it might be an idea to observe how people change through drinking. Hint: it isn’t all merry happy good time stuff! It just seems that way from a drinker’s perspective. But perspectives change. And it might be just a good distraction. Wishing you all success and know that it is doable!

5 Likes

Thank you for sharing that thought. :pray:

2 Likes

Thank you - this came up very last minute - a few hours ago I didn’t know that I was traveling.

I’m terrified that I’ll put all those months in jeopardy. Everything about the place I’m going is triggering to me. Everyone is looking forward to drinks.

I didn’t have the time to prepare for this, but I’m doing it right now.

4 Likes

Checked into the hotel, asked the minibar to be locked - don’t need it thanks - and now trying to avoid the hotel bar with colleagues/bosses.

4 Likes

Thanks - this is one of the occasions that people expect you to drink, expect to be “a fun person”…

well, my go-to answer will be I’m training for a race (more or less true) and drinks mess up my training. I already dropped the “what time does the gym open?” at check in as a clue for my coworkers…

4 Likes

Take your own drink. That way you will already have one in your hand so they don’t ask. It’s not a cure all but it does help. I have done that before. Keep the faith.

3 Likes

so far, so good…but not easy.

7 Likes

Keep going! You’re doing great :+1:

1 Like

Going to bed sober. :pray:

Tomorrow will be another day, and I’ll have to be just as careful…but happy to report to base that today I did not drink.

Thank you so much…you guys really helped me stay on track. :heart::heart::heart:

28 Likes

That’s great Anna! Success! Let’s repeat tomorrow. We got you and you go this!

2 Likes

Way to go, you are such an inspiration! I know it must not have been is but I’m sure it feels so rewarding to know you are going to bed after defeating the situations.

2 Likes

Thank you forever and ever for sharing your unexpected “drink avoidance line” when under pressure…going to bed still laughing to myself :joy::joy::joy: I could just picture myself doing the same thing in front of all my office peeps!

Love you guys…for the support, shared experiences…and crazy funny lines!

4 Likes

This was fantastic and heartwarming to read. Well done. Seriously impressed!

3 Likes

Yay!!! Great job!

1 Like

Well done Anna :+1:

1 Like

Day 2 of the trip. Woke up early for a workout. Feeling really, really happy.

Lunch time is when I’ll need to be vigilant again…but feeling way better prepared now to say “not for me, thanks” :pray:

Let’s go :muscle:

13 Likes