Need to be held accountable - travels, social occasions and life as it is

You’ve definitely got this don’t worry.Just remember that sobriety feels better than any drink out there.

1 Like

Anna you are prepped mentally for this second day. You know what you need to do: hit the pillow sober tonight. Check in here as much as you can! You can absolutely do this!

2 Likes

You can do this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Have a glass of sparkling water with lots of lemon or something alcohol free that you like.
If you can, try the good old fast forwarding: what it would be like if you had that one drink to smudge the edge? Well, we all know that it wouldn’t be that ONE drink (otherwise none of us would be here). Would your day be better? Would you enjoy it or instantly begin to like all of the annoying people you will be around? No, they would be the same annoying people and it would be the same annoying and stressful day. But, with those couple of drinks - and it wouldn’t be even couple - you would risk to embarrass yourself. Nevermind that, you would unnecessarily jeopardize your achievements so far. Of course you could get back on the wagon, but HOW WOULD YOU FEEL TOMORROW?
Imagine yourself waking up to that hangover, anxiety and the inevitable sense of disappointment, depression and helplessness.
Would it be not FAR WORSE than a stressful and sh…ty day that you could remember as a day you showed determination.
One day at a time. One minute at a time.
If you stick to your decision, my guess is that tomorrow you will feel even better with yourself and that today’s “No, thank you.” would set a tiny stone in the pavement of all the future “No, thank you”s.
You CAN do it. If so many people here have done it, so can you.
One more thing: for every annoying person you have lots of great people here you can come to.
All the best.
(sorry for my bad English: it’s my third language, so I make loads of mistakes, but you’ll get the point :-))

2 Likes

Thank you so much…I appreciate the encouragement, and you’re absolutely right.

It’s one been 4.5 months, so I’m facing a lot of “firsts” as a non drinker.

First time sober with family. First time sober with friends. First time sober in a business trip (this time). The pressure that we put ourselves into when in these situations are make it or break it. You either come out happy you’ve overcome one of those moments and stood your ground, or you relapse. There’s no in between.

I’ve avoided situations that would put my sobriety in jeopardy so far. If I think it might be too much, count me out. It’s just not worth it. I worked really hard for these 4.5 months to happen. I don’t know what I’m going to do tomorrow, but today my life is better without alcohol in it.

This time, because it involves work and all the delicate relationships that it entails, I felt like I was very ill prepared to not “join the gang”. Even more so when my new boss, who doesn’t particularly support my work or like me, was all about having a drink.

In the end, work matters to a point. I’m grateful for my job. But with alcohol I can’t do it well, and that’s that.

PS: your English is perfect as far as I know (but it’s not my first language either :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:)

6 Likes

Rewarding myself for the progress so far (and for going to bed still hungry after not joining the dinner) with a great steak lunch!

1 Like

yeah! steak lunch! add some dessert to that cos you’re earning all that, girl!

what’s planned for the rest of the day to stay safe and sober today?

2 Likes

I fly back in a couple of hours. Will either avoid the lounge or get a big glass of diet coke as soon as I get there or a coffee and excuse myself to go through my emails.

The reason why this checking in is important is that - as everyone says - you know you’re going to relapse before you do. I started making all these excuses in my head, and why if I had a drink it may be ok, this is to help with a bad work situation, will get points for being a “buddy”, I can stop when I get home…think an enabling thought, I had it yesterday morning.

So the worst may be behind me, but once you start with the rationalizing, there’s no way to know where it will end.

I just need to make it back home. I’ll be out of the woods (for now) when I’m home.

12 Likes

super good to hear you are being so honest with yourself there. you’re defo getting sober buddy points from me if you want them! :star2: :star2: :star2:

I wish you a safe flight, keep these rewards coming - also watch out for when you’re home, sometimes the end of sth stressful, the relief can also be a trigger - and hope you check in here again when you’re save and hopefully happy and proud of yoursef back at home.

you’re doing an awesome job there!

3 Likes

Awesome!

(I did run this morning, so you’re spot on! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:)

2 Likes

Thank you :pray:

1 Like

By myself walking around the airport.

Do you want to know how stupidly persistent the little monster voice is…? It tells me I should celebrate the trip’s success…by having a glass of white wine where I used to have the last one of every trip.

I want to scream at myself.

for crying out loud.

looking for a coffee shop far away from this, where I can stop and get centered. I don’t think swearing is allowed in the app, but put your favorite expletive here______ That’s my thought exactly.

1 Like

Hey,

You have made it to through the tough part which was most of the socializing events your trip required. The airport is just a pit stop to your finish line.
Is there a book you might have taken with you.
Perhaps a read can help you out.
A sober podcast.
Hope your flight boards soon.
You are doing amazing.
Hang in there.

1 Like

Say hello to the wine witch :wink:
Ignore her…

You did it this trip, good job :+1:

1 Like

yes :disappointed_relieved:

but sometimes, someone puts just what you need in your way…:pray: HP? Coincidence? I don’t know. But I was struggling, speed walking, almost running towards or away, I don’t even know, and passed by an express manicure place. Cheaper than a glass of anything and kept my hands and feet still.

:pray::heart:

4 Likes

It worked :heart:

I’m home in one piece, and went to sleep sober.

I cannot thank you guys enough.

I really was about to get myself a free pass to fail…lots of opportunities, familiar places, habits from years and years, and pressure from the team and boss. It was hard. Harder than I thought even. I am happy I stayed on track. 138 days and counting, instead of another day 1.

One thing I realized is that it’s very easy to forget how horrible day 1 was, when you get those days in between the present and your last drink. I had to remind myself of the fact that I simply cannot go back there.

The person who could have “one last drink” before take off and be more or less ok afterward doesn’t exist anymore. Something fundamentally changed in my wiring and that “last drink” would have been the first of a very bad bender that goodness knows how it would end. Last time it was 5 days that made me realize I had to stop or this would kill me. It was killing me and damaging my life.

I felt like I had a batallion of guardian angels to fight off the little devil voice in my head. Thank you so much :pray: You are amazing :heart:

12 Likes

I’m so glad you made it and so glad we could be of help. We do this no drinking business together. Can’t do it all alone. Still it’s you that did it and you that made it happen. Your achievement. Be very proud Anna. I am of you. On we go. Big hugs

4 Likes

I do! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

These are hard-earned, no-nonsense, “put your work into it even when it hurts” sober buddy points - the best :star_struck:

4 Likes