Need to share. Need help..Very Recently Sober From Alcohol and Cocaine

Thanks man and it’s time for a change. If I could put my energy into building a constructive and positive life I think I could really do something man. Thanks for the support​:call_me_hand:t3::pray:t3:

2 Likes

That’s exactly right imagine all the energy that has been consumed on those huge benders… I’m not very spiritual but I feel even within myself if I put all my energy into something positive I could work miracles.

2 Likes

Good luck tomorrow. Where are you from?

1 Like

Right on man exactly, I dig it. I’m motivated. There’s no going backwards or I lose everything and I refuse to do that.

2 Likes

I live in California brother. Lived all over the states but now I’m in SoCal. You?

1 Like

Melbourne (lockdown city)

1 Like

Yes! I’m stoked for you. I hope you find it as welcoming, supportive and healing as I did my first go around in the rooms. Try to keep an open mind and be honest! Introduce yourself and share your story! I’m sure you’ll find a good amount of love there.
I’m excited to hear how you like it. And as mentioned, every group is different. Every location, every type of meeting, it’ll always be different. You’ll find one that suits you if you keep going back.
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Do whatever it takes to stop, and cut yourself off from alcohol and whatever other drugs you are using. Get all of it out of your home, and get other people who support your decision to help. Don’t try to do it alone. If that means rehab and AA do that. It’s up to you, either stop or expect to keep falling lower.

2 Likes

You are making the right decision. It wont be easy but as long as you want it, you will make it. A few advices i have that worked for me: avoid every social situation that involves drinking. Drinking will lead to drug usage. Try to find a hobby or something that keeps your head occupied. I dont have experience with the alcohol issue but with cocaine i can assure you that if you break the 3-5 weeks clean, it gets a LOT easier. Try to eat well (minimize the junk food) and exercise.
Everytime you think about using, stop and think about your family and loved ones and how they would suffer to see you this way.
And most importantly: do all this for yourself. I just spoke about the family and that helps but i tried to quit many times in the past for others, family etc. Id relapse all the time, every few weeks. i got tired of the drug abuse and one day i thought to myself “this is bullshit its not even fun anymore”. That day i decided do get clean for myself. After that i started having long periods clean like half a year or a year.
I hope that helps :hugs:

3 Likes

Hi,
It’s great you’ve decided to kick the old lifestyle in the head. I have nearly died a couple of times in the past and yet that wasn’t even enough then to make me stop. I have been to AA and CA meetings, and although I have only rarely used coke or crack they cater for alcohol addiction as well. As others have said, try out different meetings and see which groups you like. There is a thread on here with some more resources on it. I will send you the link. :fist_right::fist_left:

Here’s the link.

Scary story. I agree with what others have said: hold onto that story and use it to motivate you to change. Don’t minimize it— which is what I have a tendency to do over time. Pull it out of your mental pocket when you find your thoughts wandering to using again.

It’s harrowing to think about some of the dangers I regularly exposed myself to while drinking.

Avoid old places and faces from your drinking and drugging days. For me that meant leaving my job early before the drinking crew made rounds looking for people to go to the bars. I also had to stop hanging with some of my old friends I used to drink with because all they did was pressure me to keep drinking like they were. I made a hard cut on my social life for the first six months when I decided to quit drinking. I was lonely and felt sorry for myself especially when scrolling though social media. Once I had some months of sobriety under my belt, I began to feel stronger and more confident that I could make it.

I developed new hobbies and had to learn new ways to deal with stress. I also had to learn new ways to celebrate and reward myself. Exercise is a great outlet for me. I had become very inactive while drinking. When I quit, I got a Fitbit and began a serious new walking regimen. I walk everywhere. Every day. I began to lose weight. I felt happy about the weight loss and grew physically stronger which felt awesome. I eventually started running again.

I rekindled old passions— things I used to enjoy before drinking. One of the surprising aspects of not drinking was how much longer a day became. I think I used to drink in part out of boredom. Finding constructive ways to fill my time was hard at first and I watched a lot of shitty tv in the beginning but then I started reading again and writing and other activities I used to enjoy.

Change is uncomfortable but it’s the only way to grow. Congratulations on your decision.

2 Likes

I too binge drinked and did blow along with it. September 23rd will be my 1 Year mark. What I did that helped me out tremendously was I cut EVERY friend out of my life that I hanged out and drank with. Every. Single. One. I only spent time with my family. Delete your dealers and those friends on your phone. I would even go a step further and change your number out right. Read, listen to motivational YouTube video, workout. I forced myself to change how I was thinking. Hold yourself accountable for your actions and remember all the times you’ve fucked up. That will prevent you from fucking up again. It helped me a lot.

4 Likes

I used to drink until i blacked out, would wake up disoriented and hung over. My anxieties were through the roof and i woukdnt leave the house! It was a terrible lifestyle and i had a very young son who saw me do these things. I was so ashamed of myself. I decided enough was enough! I got myself on a sober pathway. My husband supported me and gave up drinking as well. Ive relapsed a few times but not to black out relapse. I never want to feel that way again! Ive taken to reading memoirs of other alcoholics and it is very enlightening to know you, me, all of us are not alone. Take it one day at a time. Youll get to a good place! Welcome​:green_heart::purple_heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

Thats quite a story. Remember how you feel right now. It will cime in handy next time you want to drink. I have also woken up in the hospital with a concussion. It sucks.

1 Like

Yes it helps a lot, I can relate to you in a few things you said. Today’s my first meeting at AA so we’ll see how it goes. Excited to start the journey just know I can’t hangout at the same places or with the same people. Thanks for the love :call_me_hand:t3:

4 Likes

I give jou my app and we’ll have a good talk if you want :100::heart::100:
I can give you some pointers 4 sjooow

Welcome! Not just welcome to the forum but to your new life :smile: You know what I did when I first started on my journey? I read my initial bio…over and over until it stuck in my head. I still read it from time to time. Keep yourself grounded and remember why you are here at this point and on. It’s funny how many of us suffered and suffered until we get to that ONE MOMENT. But when that moment is such a pivotal and REAL point, it slaps you in the face. Go with the most EXCELLENT advice above and big big hugs :slight_smile: :heart: :heart: :heart:

1 Like

Man! That is a crazy scenario! Glad you ended up ok! You’ve made an amazing choice & have some strong motivation! Did you get a hospital pic? It might help keep this drive fresh & relevant so you won’t get complacent later.