Needing Some Friends

Hi all,

I have been sober for 4.5 days now and all I can say is it has been a Rollercoaster. The ups and downs with anxiety, depression, and short temper have been hard. The other day I was in the grocery store picking up a few things and started to feel lightheaded and panicky like I just wanted to get out. I thought it was strange but then I went to a restaurant with my daughter today and had to get to go boxes because I felt the same thing. Has anyone else experienced social anxiety when getting sober and does it go away? I hate to think I will be like this forever. I can’t stop crying thinking I am permanently damaged. Help!

16 Likes

hug

Keep holding on to sobriety. This, too, shall pass. Better days ahead!

3 Likes

Don’t panic you are definitely not damaged, you were but now you are healing. We’ve never had to deal with our emotions bc the first sign of any we put an alcoholic plaster on it but now it’s all going to start to come out and over time the chemical Inbalance of your body and mind will slowly but surely level itself out. Everything your going to go through will be perfectly normal but for now do a lot of deep breathing and ground yourself, trust me its simple, scary and worth it. Well done on your sober days BTW :+1:

6 Likes

Thank you so much this is so helpful. I know it’s a chemical imbalance but it feels like it won’t go away. You are so right and I will stick to it!

3 Likes

Thank you :heart:

3 Likes

I have definitely experienced this and still do from time to time. I noticed it much more often when I was actively drinking. The day after or a few days after drinking heavily I would experience the same exact feelings when driving, visiting friends or family, shopping, pretty much everywhere. It got so bad I had to leave work a couple times and went to the ER. Being sober I still get these feelings but it is very rare anymore and I am able to control it much better. Hang in there you’re going through a lot of changes! Congratulations on your 4.5 days sober!

3 Likes

Thank you so much. You all have no idea how much your kind words are helping :heart:

2 Likes

Thank you so much

2 Likes

I can relate so well to how your feeling. I spent the first few months of recovery feeling that way. It does get better i promise you. I know it’s hard but try to be as kind to yourself as possible your body is changing and detoxing it takes time . I had to get help from my Dr so maybe that’s some thing you could try if it gets any worse xx

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the inspiration :heartpulse:

After reading all of these inspiring comments from such amazing people I decided I don’t want to wait weeks or months to get my life back. I decided to take another trip to the grocery store to get some things and no anxiety! I need to be positive and try to get things back to normal.

3 Likes

Hang in there. It gets better I promise you that. Stay hydrated. Stay out of your head and keep busy. Reach out for support …The first days are the hardest days.

1 Like

I did a lot of exposure therapy after my initial detox, which is exactly what you did by going back to the store. It really helps us to keep pushing ourselves. You will face the anxiety again, but now that you have some answers it will be much easier to deal with.

1 Like

Anxiety…definitely…that lightheaded feeling. I started a new thread for “newbies”…I am needing sober friends, too. In case you are interested…

Marching Towards Sobriety

2 Likes

Absolutely, that’s great!

The first three weeks were a living hell for me. My anxiety levels were through the roof and I would start crying over absolutely nothing. I was a total mess. It’s only been 60 days for me but I now have a peace of mind I’ve never had before. I still get some anxiety but it gets better every day. I promise it will get easier.

4 Likes

@Inneed…so glad to hear your anxiety has decreased so much!! I know when I drink the anxiety comes back in full force. Fortunately, it was much better today than yesterday.

1 Like

I get the anxiety completely. I’m struggling with sleep. I’m rounding out Day #3 and feel “somewhat good,” so of course now I’m struggling with cravings, but I resisted and ultimately I made it through today without drinking. I’m taking the win. I’m hoping the anxiety will subside the further out I get. Hang in there. You’re not alone. I have to keep reminding myself of that as well.

3 Likes

As the years go by, the anxiety gets worse. So . . . what to do? Yup, don’t pick up. Do I really have any other choice? My bizarre situation is as follows - I “decide to stop for good” and do really well for a while . . . it can be 3 months . . . a week . . . a month . . . 18 years (no fooling - I really did that). Then >>BAM<<, I decide for no good stinking reason to drink. I drink for 1-3 days then stop again. Repeat the cycle - sadly, minus the 18 years! But I keep coming back and I keep trying. I’m pretty positive there will never come a time when I give up this fight.

2 Likes