New here and looking forward to not drinking

This is the last time you have to feel that way. You can get better and heal like many of us have, we’ve all done it 1 day at a time no matter what recovery program we belong to. Welcome, i hope to see you around. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Thanks so much . I hope so . Today just the replays of my drunk episode is just almost unbearable and am wondering why I keep doing this to myself

7 Likes

That feeling is one we all understand. Every single person here has felt that deep shame and regret.

The good news is shame means you know you have to change. It is possible to change, if you ask for help and take it one day at a time. And there are so many benefits to it! Sassy has a great list of all the things she gets from her sobriety - you may recognize a lot of these yourself :innocent: (scroll down to the bullet points for the list)

2 Likes

Welcome ! I know that feeling way to well , i ended up on this group feeling exactement the same 6 days ago and i love this place so much ! Come back often to check here , we are not alone !

4 Likes

Welcome Rivera :green_heart: Virtually everyone here has felt those same feelings. I certainly have. Remember this and use it every time you are tempted to drink. I encourage you to use the journal on this app and document it. Putting it down will help you release it and move on but it will be available to reread in moments of weakness as well. :green_heart:

5 Likes

Thanks so much everyone . I’m now just trying to get through the day . Appreciate it so much

3 Likes

Take it one day, one hour, 5 minutes at a time. I’ve had days where I set a timer of 5 minutes and checked in here every 5 minutes, to get support. Whatever it takes.

Being with other people can help. The nice thing about all this online accessibility is that a group of people is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. In addition to talking sober, there are online meetings you can attend, just listen in if you want; it helps to break that loneliness. www.InTheRooms.com is one popular site; there are many others too.

Remember that relapse is often caused by one of these four things:

• Hungry (make sure you eat enough food & snacks)
  • Angry (speak up if you think something’s wrong)
  • Lonely (get the company you need, online or in person; don’t stay alone)
  • Tired (sleep when you need it; nap if you need; get some rest - you’re recovering and your body needs rest)

Remember “HALT” - if you take care of these things it will help you. :innocent:

4 Likes

Welcome! Checking in every day has really changed my game, and I kind of look forward to it and saying to myself “another day sober”

Good luck! Remember how terrible you feel today when the urge comes at you! It’s easier to not feel terrible when you don’t do the things that make you feel terrible lol :purple_heart:

4 Likes

Welcome! That shame feeling is the worst. Use it as a motivator. Get better little by little with each morning without a hangover.

3 Likes

I’m so happy you’re here. Finding this group has made a night and day difference for me. I tried SO DAMN MANY TIMES to stop drinking. The community here helped me finally make it, for a month and counting. It’s SO fucking liberating. You’re in the right place!

3 Likes

Hey Rivera. Welcome to this wonderful sober forum.
I see you’ve been welcomed by some great people on here.
I downloaded this app 2 years ago and I come here every day. And its been my main support in my sobriety. I do my gratitude list on here every day.

If we don’t have gratitude we don’t survive.
So come on over if you’re willing. Doors alway open. Coffee is always on.
I hope to see you around.
:pray:t2::heart:

4 Likes

Hi @Rivera, welcome! You never have to feel like this EVER again! Write down all of the feelings you have right now. Write down all of the things you have done when drinking all of the sneaky behaviour and all of the spending and money you’ve wasted on booze, write every ugly thing. Our addict mind is a sneaky b**tard, it pushes all the bad stuff to the back of our minds and over time it tells you,”you’re not that bad. You can have just one or two. You don’t have a problem”. But when this happens you can read how you felt now and during all of the heavy drinking times.it really really works! I wrote my feelings and experiences down and have only had to read it twice. I’m now at 880+ days! It really works to use how you’re feeling now to your benefit. I wish you well and I look forward to walking along side you on our journeys :pray:t2::two_hearts:

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I actually just wrote in the journal and honest bit . No leaving stuff out . Will be using that every day! And congrats on 880 days!!!

2 Likes

That is so great! I will be for sure ! I really have so much to be grateful for .

2 Likes

Congrats on a month!!! I’m glad to be here too and it has helped me through the first 20 hours and counting of no drinking!

1 Like

One day at a time we can do this together! I’m so glad that you’re here with us. The people on here are so supportive, I could not of stayed sober without this place. I come here everyday. Use this forum in the times when you would of been drinking, it’s a great distraction with a family feel. The best advice I got on here in the beginning was….
NOTHING CHANGES IF NOTHING CHANGES! For me this resonated strongly and just seemed to go right into my brain. God bless :pray:t2::two_hearts:

3 Likes

Thank you :pray:t4: And this community helped me through horrible yesterday!!! It was hard but pushed through! Bless

3 Likes

Hi there, I have felt the same way about myself. But, we are our harshest critics. You have nothing to be embarrassed or shamed about. You’ve made a choice to improve yourself and that takes a lot of courage. I’ve been in this cycle for years and just this past week, something inside me told me that I am finished this time. Keep pushing.

3 Likes

Thank you ! I have been here before many times and like you I just can’t anymore . Wishing you the best on your journey!

2 Likes

Back at you!

1 Like