New here and seeking wise words

I’m new to this whole community recovery thing but I’d like to give it a shot. I’m 23 and have been a cocaine addict for almost 3 years. Struggling. What started as an experimentation has grown into a mental hell. During the last 3 years I had a consecutive 6 months of sobriety from coke, alcohol, cigarettes, and marijuana one year. Now I am struggling to make it past 1 week even though this is the most serious I’ve ever been about the problem. I feel terrible when I use it physically and mentally and all I know is that I’m letting those around me down. Yet I continue and for what? Im ashamed and I want my life back.

7 Likes

Have you started any kind of treatment? Outpatient services? Meetings? Abstaining is never enough. You need to recover. Addiction is a mental problem as well as a physical one. Find a sober community. You can do this! This is a great first step. I have 3 years off meth but relapsed with opiates. Starting over again. Day 4 here we go.

2 Likes

Thanks @Farmer

1 Like

@EmmyElls44 I started going to counseling in august last year but moved and then stopped going because the office was far away. I enjoyed talking with the counselor and learning and just interacting. I’ve since then relapsed but I have finally set up another appointment closer to home. I’m positive this time! Thank you for the words! Keep on that streak too you can do this you e done it before!

@SoberGuyUSA counseling will begin soon Ive set up an appointment finally. Rehab scares me even though I know it is most likely more effective.

Welcome Nick.
Have a good read around. There’s lots of good info and support here.
Here are two good threads to start:

1 Like

Thank you @Dazercat for the resources.

1 Like

CA meetings… online or face to face…connection with other addicts, Keep coming back here and sharing … It’s gets easier, one moment at a time. :pray::pray: … Doctors or counsellors couldn’t help with my addiction problem, (for me it was a way to make excuses not to look at my addiction and the behaviours surrounding it)
members in meetings helped with my addiction problem.

1 Like