New here.. back on the wagon

I’m not very good at expressing my emotions in words but I’ll give it a try, sorry if I don’t make sense or start rambling. I don’t even know how many times now I’ve tried to quit and I always say this time is it, I’m gonna stop. I’ve been to AA (not for me), tried smart recovery, spent hundreds on a sober coach. As long as I keep trying that’s all that matters. I’m really concerned that I’ve damaged my liver now whenever I drink, the next day I get incredibly itchy, with no redness or irritation. Just itchy all over but really intense on my scalp. I’ve read online that it could mean liver damage, so I’m just scared and I don’t want to tell my doctor because I’ve told her that I’ve gotten my drinking under control. I also take daily meds for anxiety so i know mixing those with alcohol is hard on the liver.

9 Likes

Hi VitaminC you are very welcome. It was with the help of these wonderful people here that I managed to quit so your in a good place to start. Everyone is really friendly and supportive so just reach out we are here for you.

2 Likes

Welcome C
We are glad you’re hear. It takes a lot to humble ourselves sometimes and admit we are powerless over our DOC. That’s a great first step. Personally I’d come clean with my doctor. I never lie to my doc. But anyway. Glad your here. I think AA has a great philosophy and I practice it a lot but I don’t go to meetings. I listen to the Big Book on audio now.

Lots of great people on here just trying not to take that most important drink. The first one. This place has supplied me with the support I’ve needed. I’ve tried to quit a million times without support. Never worked.

Have a good read around. Join in when your comfortable. And try not to be afraid to ask questions. This is a pretty friendly place.

Here are two good threads to start:

I hope to see you around.
:pray:t2::heart:

Hi , I totally relate to you with feeling Uve damaged your liver, I had burning sensation in my lower back when I had a drink but I just ignored it, you should speak to your doctor , never be scared or embarrassed they are there to help. This group is brilliant and supportive ,reading through really helps me. Good luck on your recovery .

2 Likes

I’m also glad you’re here. Bottom line is the liver is resilient. If you get clean it will repair and regenerate itself. I’ve been a heavy drinker for 27 years and my liver is still hanging in there. Take care of yourself.

3 Likes

Welcome to our TS family!
Please reach out here before you pick up. There’s people from all over the world on here at all times of the day and night.
Also, be honest with your doctor. They’ve heard it all.

Welcome. I’m also relatively new. Have relapsed twice but I’m back on track now. I also think it’s a good idea to tell your doctor. No more secrets feels great for me. I had to come clean and it really felt good. Like shedding skin. I’m really finding the people here are fantastic. Keep checking in. You’ve got this!

1 Like

Welcome!

Probably best to seek some help. You can’t hide; you need truth. Look yourself in the mirror and say it to your face: I’m an alcoholic and I need help. No shame in it!

Alcohol addiction - and all addictions - are cunning and powerful. They’ll sneak into your head and twist you into knots trying to justify and excuse or escape things. I don’t want to do ___, I can’t do ___. The vicious devil has an excuse for everything.

The truth will set you free. Being willing to let go of all the limits you set on yourself, and explore, with an open mind, the addiction you have and the pathway to accountability and self-respect, will set you free.

Take care & never give up. You’re a good person and you deserve a safe, sober life where you can be your full self.

1 Like

I am new to sobriety and I got so tired of saying “I swear I’ll never drink again” that I sought help medically. My doctor told me my liver was significantly inflamed from the abuse but I was grateful for the wake up call because it’s helping me change my ways. Like said earlier, the liver is resilient but being honest and hearing the hard truth can really help. I wish you well on this journey!

1 Like