New here, Day One

Hi everyone,

I am so grateful for this app. I have an unhealthy relationship with alcohol. I have a great network of friends and family who don’t think I have an issue, I do. I am surrounded by great people, which I am so thankful for.

I am so tired of feeling exhausted and anxious. Wasting days because the anxiety due to hangover consumes me. I had my last drink last night-red wine which I have been drinking most evenings for a few years now much more than a glass :pleading_face:. I have been here for a while but wanted to post on my day one. I have just had a birthday and knew this was going to be the time I was going to stop. I have lots planned in the evenings to keep me busy. I am anxious today and worried about the first week but also feel excited to become free. It has taken lots of courage to post this. Thank you so much for reading

I would be grateful for any advice at all to help me through the first week.

16 Likes

Hi! Welcome to the forum! :wave:t2:

2 Likes

I’m really proud of you for reaching out! Huge 1st step! The first little bit is always the hardest (at least it was for me). I wrote down my reasons of why I quit and I’d review them daily (especially when I had the urge to use). I took them with me even while out bcuz urges can happen anywhere. Distractions are good! Self care is good :slight_smile: And reach out as soon as u have that craving so it can be stopped right away :slight_smile: glad ur here!

4 Likes

Thank you :blush:

Thank you so much :blush:

1 Like

This was lovely to read. I have started a journal today. I have downloaded lots of books and plan to binge watch TV. I have also made an appointment to have a 1-2-1 session at the gym and have morning walks planned. Today I haven’t managed a lot due to feeling anxious and disappointed in myself. I work full time also. Thank you for your advise, it is really appreciated :blush:

2 Likes

I like ur action plan for distractions. Those all are great ideas! I think it’s honestly pretty normal when we first come back to feel those emotions of depression or defeat or anxiety or fear etc. Be gentle with urself tho :slight_smile: just keep putting 1 foot in front of the other and no matter what… don’t pick up :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Welcome! I love your user name. :blush:
Check in often and let us know how you’re doing.

2 Likes

Thanks, I needed to hear to be gentle with myself, I’ve been really tough on myself today.

1 Like

Thank you :blush: I will do. I can’t wait to feel the difference in myself

1 Like

Hi welcome to the community, thank you for sharing your story

1 Like

Thank you for the welcome. It’s good to be here!

1 Like

Welcome to a new life! :pray:
Exiting and sometimes a hell of a ride, but it will be worth it!

1 Like

Welcome to the forum. Since you usually drink a glass of red wine in the evening, it might be a good idea to choose a different beverage. You are physically used to drinking something in the evening, so it could be a big step to simply have nothing. Splurge on non-alcoholic beverage that you really like.

Write out a list of reasons why you want to quit drinking and how it affects you negatively, then write in all the positives you hope to see come out of getting sober. Also add a list of things you can do when you feel tempted, so that it is right there and you don’t have to think about it. Keep this where you can see it at home. Maybe put it on your bathroom mirror to look at while you get ready in the morning and at night.

If you need to, read it several times a day in the first week. It’s good to have Day 1 you remind Day 5 you that you really want this.

1 Like

Thank you this is great advise. Yes, red wine most nights and more then a bottle I am so ashamed, it started when I lost my Mum. I really appreciate this advice and will put my list on my mirror tonight so I see it morning and night. It’s been a hard day made easier by the lovely people in this forum. I cannot wait to have day 5, I need to be patient! Thank again :blush:

2 Likes

Thank you for the lovely positive welcome. Today has been tough but you have all made me feel like I am not alone :raised_hands:

1 Like

Hang out in this forum as much as you need if you find it to be useful. We all want you to succeed!

You’re very welcome. You will get there before you know it.

1 Like

Thank you so much. 25 hours in now and can’t sleep so I am cosy in my bed watching TV and drinking lots of water. I hope you have had a good day!

1 Like

New here my first day at being sober. Have been hard to make the decision but taking the first step

2 Likes

@Glittersparkles , @Alex6 , welcome to Talking Sober to you both! Getting sober is hard work, but it’s worth it, and in the end, it’s easier on our bodies, minds, and souls to get and stay sober than it is to continue drinking.

When I got sober, I used everything I had at my disposal, including accountability, medication (Antabuse), counseling 1:1 and in a group, and most importantly, AA. Here are the ways others here have done it. Blessings on your house :pray: as you begin your sobriety.

2 Likes