New here , first day starting sobriety

Hi, my name is Mike im 34, and i definitely have a problem its been affecting my family and my relationship and my health, i get blackout drunk and act like a fool and aggressive i want to change myself for the better and for my family and loved ones this is one if my first real attempts at this i will try and come on everyday and check in or post how its going i hope this goes well for me thankyou for any support and happy Easter to everyone
Day 1 of sobriety

22 Likes

Hi Mike. Glad you have decided to get on this app and make the first step in your sober journey. This is a great recource and provides alot of support from people who have been in your shoes once. Wish you nothing but the best!

3 Likes

Much appreciated, i really wanna do this for myself and my loved ones i need a change in my life and i mean it this time now unfortunately i have to figure a way to distance myself from people that drink which is just about everybody i know.

3 Likes

It may require you distancing yourself from
Others who you used to drink with. But it will be for the better. Remember why you’re doing it and who you’re doing it for. You will always regret drinking, but never regret not drinking.

2 Likes

Congratulations on day 1 and welcome to this great sober community Mike.
Have a good read around and join in when you’re comfortable.
Here are two good threads to start:

Welcome! Coming here is a great first step. Be active here, it will help.

Keep coming back every day. I’m rooting for you

1 Like

Will, do thank you all for the support

1 Like

Welcome, congratulations on your first 5 minutes, hour and day. Best decision ever. You will have tons of support here.

1 Like

Good for you Mike! :raised_hands: good resources and links above - dive in :innocent: Keep it up, one day at a time :+1:

1 Like

So glad you’re here, Mike. All that any of us needed at first was a desire to do something different. You find what works for you and work it.
In the early days it’s tough, but the more you distance yourself from the old, the better you feel & it gets easier. We all do this a day at a time. Maybe consider zoom or in person meetings too, it all helps.

1 Like

Welcome :relaxed:
It really does help having a place to share. Just to get your feelings out and talk with people that understand. The first week is tough, but it’s worth it. You can do it. Get through each day. You’ll feel better with time x

1 Like

Welcome Mike!

Learn about our “Addiction” disease; start by googling Addiction and Surf brother!

Welcome! So glad you are here also!

Welcome Mike, went to my first AA meeting when i was 34 never looked back wish you well

1 Like

Welcome Mike! You’ve made a great decision and will reap the benefits of sobriety in no time.

I checked in here everyday in my early days and it helped me build a sober network with some pretty awesome people on this forum. Also, the accountability was another tool. If you decide to do the same, consider starting your own daily check in thread so you can look back at your progress. Or join others on the community thread. Here’s the link: Checking in daily to maintain focus #41

Welcome Mike! As you distance yourself from those that can’t support your sobriety, it’s important to connect with people that share the same struggles as you. This community is a great place to be. I also have many sober friends here locally to socialize with. Build up a community to support you. You don’t have to do this alone.

Happy Easter Mike. Let’s beat this alcohol monster.

1 Like

Welcome Mike, this place will be a great help in your recovery :facepunch:
See you around! :raising_hand_woman: