New Here. No idea what I'm doing

No clue what to say here. 45. No hobbies but xbox. No friends. 3 adult kids and one 7 year old. Wife who doesn’t support me. Wife’s 27 year old lives with us and he is a nut case.Quit my job in November 2019 after 20 years and went down hill from there. The last 395 days I’ve drank every day except 11.8 days because I thought I had heart attack which I didn’t I guess and 3 when I was real sick. I only drank at night. Now I’m on day 5 of sober and feeling irritated as crap. Thought I’d try this app out to see if it helps at all.

23 Likes

Welcome to the community Vern :slight_smile: It sounds like you got your hands full. Have you checked out any AA programs in your area? I remember one year when I was still drinking, the doctor prescribed 30 days of sleeping pills that I couldn’t take while drinking. I had six left at the end of the year. That means that there were only 24 days out of the year that I was sober. It’s a rough road my friend. I’m glad you’re here and we can support you as much as we can. Ask away and check out the history with the magnifying glass to do some research :heart:

4 Likes

Welcome Vern.
Congratulations on your 5 days! Great start!
This app has been a huge help for me in my sobriety.

Have a good read around and join in when your comfortable. Lots of great people here to help support us all.
Here are two good threads to start:

2 Likes

Welcome Vern. Actually you have very aptly described what’s happening with you. This app and forum can be a big help if you let it be. It surely has been for me. I’m glad you’re here as together we’re strong and the more we are the more so. Here’s another link for you to discover this place. Welcome again and success!

2 Likes

Welcome, this is a great first step. I had no clue how to start when I got here. I read everything on here I could, participated as much as I could.

3 Likes

Im on day 4 and irritated as well. But when I was drunk i was irritated AND violent, so I think Im making progress. Be strong mate we can do it

4 Likes

Thanks. Are you sleeping like crap to? I have noticed the belly swelling going down. That is nice.

1 Like

I have looked up AA Meetings but that may take some time. I’m not good in group settings. I will say it is nice to just type in here how I feel without fear of being judged or atleast looked at weird

6 Likes

Try some online groups. And don’t feel bad if you don’t find a “fit” right away. Support groups are so important. It took me some time to find an AA that I felt comfortable with. I attend online weekly for mine. It will also help with accountability. Read some literature as well :slight_smile: Get The Big Book and just start reading. You will love it.

Today I felt I slept well. I was not sleeping fine Before quitting anyway because of stress. Im feeling anxious but somehow my brain seem more sharp and better concentrated. Maybe is just my imagination

Hi Vern day 4 here after drinking literally 365 days last year. I think Covid definitely made it worse. I will say I am irritated as hell as well and almost slipped yesterday but I am going to push forward and I hope that you can do the same! Best of luck to you, im sure better brighter days are ahead.

1 Like

Thanks and good luck to you as well. Definitely worst day so far. Been trying to eat healthier now to. Tuna,walnuts,cucumbers,cayenne. But damn I’m craving sugar like crazy. Never used to.

2 Likes

I said the same thing about AA, said I would never go. I hate groups of people.

Darn near folded at day 89. Day 90 I walked into a meeting, scared beyond belief.

I walked out of the meeting with a whole new family…I wish I would have gone sooner.

2 Likes

Haha that’s funny because me too, and im definitely NOT a sugar girl. Idk maybe that’s just a side effect as alcohol has a lot of sugar in it. Our bodies are probably craving the sugar. That’s my best guess.

1 Like

That’s exactly what is going on… eat all the sugar you need to for now. You and @ThunderWolf are in a great starting place. This place is full of great people who are just like you, battling addiction. Reach out anytime either of you if you ever want.

1 Like

I will definitely keep that in mind. Do they still help you in recovery or is the urge gone now?

Hey welcome to the forum. This is a great place for support and advice. It’s helped me out tremendously…there’s literally zero chance I’d be sober without the people here.

The irritation totally makes sense, I was the same way when I first stopped and of course I still have crappy days. Stick around, read and post a bunch :+1:

1 Like

Yeah you are probably right there about the sugar. Mine was rum and coke. Lots of sugar

1 Like

Urge is gone. I still go, I have developed friends and basically family there. Plus the way I look at AA…Its like taking your car to the mechanic for routine maitenance…I go, for routine maitenance so I dont have to walk down the road of being a drunk again

3 Likes

Welcome!! I’m fairly new here as well. I find checking in on here everyday and just reading what everyone else is also going through has been very helpful for me so far.

5 Likes