New here :)

TRIGGER WARNING- Overdose mentioned**

Hi TS!!! Just wanted to introduce myself. I have been reading through these posts the last few days and it’s so amazing seeing and relating to so many different topics. I just turned 29 and have been a fairly heavy alcoholic for the past few years, but I started drinking in my teens and was THE party girl, the fun one, the good time…. Until I wasn’t. A few years ago my drinking started to become an issue, I was putting my self and others in harms way, blowing through money I didn’t have…. I was drinking at jobs, in the mornings, alone, you name it. I was so unhappy and so unhealthy. I swear I aged 10 years in the last 3 of my addiction. Lol. I tried and failed probably 100 times, usually only getting a few days under my belt. It took my roommate overdosing about a year ago to stop my cocaine use, but finding him and the trauma that came with that sent my drinking into a tailspin. It was BAD for about 6 months.
Anyways. I finally decided enough was enough. I want my 30s to be the best of my life and on the path I was on, I’m not sure I would have even made it that far. I sold everything I owned and moved 9 hours away from my home, partially to remove myself from the constant partying that was my life. Got sober on my 29th birthday and am about to hit 30 days. Starting to level out and feel excited about the beauty of sobriety instead of scared sh*tless about missing out on “life” I can’t wait to take this on, sober, healthy and clear minded about my goals and living to my full potential.
Thank you all for being here. For supporting one another.

Thanks for reading.

:heart::heart::heart:

38 Likes

Welcome and congrats on 30 days!

3 Likes

Great to hear! Sobriety is the greatest gift you can give yourself.

4 Likes

Welcome to Talking Sober Jamie, thanks for sharing your story, and big congrats on reaching 30 days of sobriety! This place has been such a huge support for me over the last 3+ years. I hope it can be for you too. Wishing you all success in your sober life’s journey.

5 Likes

Welcome Jamie, congrats on 30 days of freedom :raised_hands: :clap:

2 Likes

Welcome to TS, Jamie, and congratulations on your first sober 30 days! :tada: :confetti_ball: :tada:

3 Likes

Welcome! And most excellent congratulations on your 30 days of freedom.

I hope you explore this community and find lots of resources to support you. I’ve been here just over a year and I can tell you that it is an amazing group of people who are committed to helping each other one day at a time.

Moving to a new area means you have no choice but to form new habits. Forming new habits is hard work, but once they are in place and bring you comfort, it is much easier to live without alcohol. I encourage you to concentrate on good sleep habits, good nutrition, some exercise, and some healthy ways to have fun. You have been through a lot and you deserve to take good care of yourself.

I hope you have a lovely Sunday. Welcome!

3 Likes

Welcome!! It is so inspiring seeing a young person take their life in their hands and really work toward a healthy healing way of living!!! Congratulations to you!!! Glad you are here!!!

3 Likes

Thank you! I am so grateful to be here. 30 days seems like such a short amount of time when I think about it sometimes, but then I have to remind myself it’s the longest I have gone without alcohol in 10 years so it’s actually huge :slight_smile:
Thanks for the encouragement! Have a wonderful day.

4 Likes

Thank you Dylan! That was my goal, to treat this as a gift to myself for my birthday. I can’t imagine a better gift than all the things I am slowly accomplishing.
Appreciate you being here and the warm welcome. Have a good day!

3 Likes

Thank you Menno! I am so grateful to have this app as a tool. I moved into the remote forest and in person meeting options are 90 mins from me so having this as an alternative is beyond amazing.

Looking forward to many more months of meeting new sober people and building a new community that supports my lifestyle.

Hope you are having an awesome weekend :heart:

2 Likes

Thank you so much friend! :heart: Looking forward to many more milestones in the future!

2 Likes

Thanks so much. It feels amazing to be here. Finally starting to see big changes in my overall mental state, physical changes (Helllooo glowing skin!?) and for the first time in years I feel like my sleep is actually restorative. Happy to be here and can’t wait to look back and celebrate many more changes. :sparkles::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Welcome Jamie!! Glad to have u here :slight_smile: Thank u for sharing!

3 Likes

Absolutely, you really are among friends here, i credit this site with my 69 days sober so far…some amazing people on here plus there are people from all over the world… so many different perspectives and there is always someone to talk to 24/7, your on the right track :blush:

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the kind words and encouragement. I feel so dang happy to be here and to have (almost) made it to 30 days. The withdrawal phase has really started to wear off and I’m noticing more and more positive changes.

My new town is very remote and alcohol is not very big here. It’s so interesting coming from one of the biggest drinking cities in the country to a place where people could give a hoot about drinking (everyone here loves marijuana but I’m not a fan) so it’s been a fairly easy transition in many ways. The closest alcohol is about a 35 minute drive for me and with these gas prices… it’s not even worth it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Looking forward to making new connections here and in my new town and I’m so grateful for all the support this far.

:heart:

3 Likes

Welcome to our community @JDHealing which will soon become to feel like your family :family: Congratulations on 30 days of sobriety. What a beautiful gift you have given yourself on your birthday. Each birthday from now on will be even more special as it will also be the anniversary of the day you set yourself free from alcohol. You are not alone in this Jamie. So proud of your commitment and look forward to getting to know you better
Love
Ree :heart:

3 Likes

congrats on making all these awesome changes for yourself!! that took a lot of strength. feel free to share here whenever, it’s definitely been a big help to me during my sobriety journey. :heart:

1 Like

welcome Jamie! wish you well on your sober path!

some links I like:
Resources for our recovery

Mental health memes and discussion (Part 1)

1 Like

Hi, welcome! It’s lovely to meet you. Congratulations on 30 days! :clap:t2::clap:t2::pray:t2::two_hearts:

1 Like