New sobriety and relearning to live

I’m very new to sobriety, and honestly it’s so rough learning to live life again. I work and have thrown myself into that but what and where do I go from here, :woman_shrugging::woman_facepalming::thinking::thinking:???

38 Likes

Just take one day at time .

6 Likes

I’m trying so hard. I am trying to do the things that I enjoyed in a earlier time of my life. But honestly it just feels like I’ve forgotten how to do everything and it’s confusing and frustrating

11 Likes

Agree just do one step at time

4 Likes

Have you gotten a sponsor?? I’m honestly scared to death to go to meeting and meet people. So this far I’ve been doing this completely alone but I know it’s only a matter of time before I relapsed if I do it this way :woman_facepalming: (my way) because this is not the first time I’ve tried to stop but this is the longest I’ve ever made it and I feel so blessed for that

8 Likes

No sponsor yet. But doing AA and aoda treatment every week

2 Likes

Please if you have time let me know what the meetings are like and how you are doing. I haven’t made any meetings because of my work schedule, but I did but a big book and I’ve started reading that. I was told by a friend to read I think the first 164 pages?? Not sure. but I’m working on that. And I tend to feel calmer and more at ease after I have read it. Even if only a few pages

3 Likes

Hi Hollz,
I can really relate to your frustration with the fog starting to lift and not knowing who is underneath it.

How many days do you have?
What supports have you tried before?
What are you interested in trying?

How can I help you?
:heart:

6 Likes

One week tomorrow and I’m so proud of that seven days, but when I’m not working I’m scared to death I’m going to mess up. No cravings… YET but I know they will come. And I’m not sure what I want to do now. I guess just be happy, stop being so afraid that I’m going to fail. I want to go out and do things and have fun but my so called fun has included alcohol for such a long time that I don’t have friends now, and I don’t really know where I would go if I could… honestly it’s all terrifying to me. I don’t want to die or end up in jail again. I guess I just want some form any form of normal I want peace of mind and soul. I’m sure I probably sound like a idiot and I’m sorry I just haven’t truly ever talked to anyone about my addiction and to get these things off of my chest is :thinking: well it’s almost like a weight is lifting

9 Likes

Congrats on your week without booze. You absolutely do not sound like an idiot, you sound like someone who wants their freedom back.

It was my experience that sitting tight for the first few months was the safest like I say though my experience. Some people do venture out, some do not. I found that as soon as I was put into social situations it became difficult and I just wanted it to be as easy as possible at the beginning because it was already really hard. If your friends disappeared with the alcohol it probably says something about your friends… just throwing that out there, and lucky for you there are billions of people in the world that could potentially be friends so not a huge worry.

This is what struck me the most in your post, that peace of mind and soul. It is one of the best things about recovery, being shame-free, and not having any more regrets.

You are in the perfect place to talk openly about your addiction we are ALL addicts!!! No judgment here, so let it fly. This is your safe spot and if anyone will understand you it will be us.

I am going to link you to a good thread that has links to a lot of other good threads all over the forum.
Welcome to the forum! 2021 edition :slight_smile:

To answer your question about meetings, I go to lots of them, they are an important part to me staying sober and they are an awesome way to meet sober people. You should try them out.

11 Likes

@Its_me_Stella thank you so much. I truly appreciate your help and just being here. As for the “friends” well they never really were more like a whole lot of people that enjoyed my money and misery. I’m not actually sure I even know what a friend is considering I’ve been drinking since I was 12 and the only person I ever really got close with took a different path and died of a heroin overdose in 2007 most the people that think they know me say she took any good in me with her… They might be right but I’m ready to find out with a sober mind and open heart for myself if what they all say is true. Thank you for the link I definitely will visit it asap and thank you for just being you. You truly seem amazing :white_heart::white_heart:

6 Likes

Maybe try a meeting yourself see what its like get phone numbers and build a good network of sober friends wish you well maybe get a sponsor guide you through the big book

7 Likes

@Ray_M_C_Laren thank you very much. I really appreciate your thoughts

1 Like

Your in a great place to learn! Welcome to TS i wish you well on your journey🤗

1 Like

@Hollz keeping fighting my sober twin and fellow Ohioan!

1 Like

Congratulations on your new sober life!

You mentioned that your were 12 when you started drinking. I was 16 and I continued to drink until 37.

I feel that once drinking got ahold of me I stopped mentally and emotionally growing. So once I put down the drink for sometime I started growing again.

Remember that you spent a long time drinking and it will take your body and mind sometime to heal.

I would suggest just spending the first few months focusing on not drinking. As the fog lifts things will be come clearer and you will slowly see what changes you can make in your life to be happier and healthier. Mind, body, and soul

5 Likes

I’m slowly getting out and walking, hiking reading… doing things I enjoy but the past two days have been rough with the cravings… they have definitely been trying. lots of exercising and reading the big book. And sometimes I’m just going minute by minute not to drink but I’m still going to sleep sober and I’m so proud of that. I do agree with what a lot of you have said though about getting a sponsor and going to meetings. I just have to find ones that are at night because of my job. And things where I live still aren’t really back to normal from the covid thing so as far as I know there is one night meeting and that’s it but I’m going to continue to do my hardest to carry on and stay sober and happy

8 Likes

@Jennajen :blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart: thank you so much !!!

Just out of curiosity how do you guys deal with the holidays what kind of things do you do to enjoy the festivities but stay away from temptation?

1 Like

It helped me to have a plan. I visualized and literally practiced outloud saying no to drinks offered. “No thank you, I am sticking with seltzer tonight.” Or whatever you decide to say. I also made sure I never had an empty hand, brought a cooler of my own drinks if I went anywhere, and I drank tonic and lime whenever I started to crave booze. The intensity and tartness calmed those cravings for me when water wasn’t cutting it.

2 Likes