New to AA - Long time binge drinker looking to start fresh

Hi friends,

I’m fairly new to AA, although I went to a few meetings in NYC before falling off of the wagon… here I am, 10 years later. Still repeating the same old patterns to the point of finally having a relapse so bad, I probably shouldn’t be alive. I’ve honestly had a few of those… it’s one of the reasons I wanted to get out of the city and start fresh. Problem is, alcohol is available outside of major cities. Who would have thought? (Insert sarcasm here).

I tried going to a meeting today but whatever website I went to was incorrect - or things aren’t up to date due to the pandemic. I circled the parking lot for about 25 mins, then went in. I was terrified… more so because there was a giant group of jazz musicians meeting and they were very confused when I asked if they were there for “the meeting” wink, wink, awkward laugh… Then I found myself somewhere in the children’s wing of the church - most of the lights out. Construction paper art projects hung everywhere… I definitely wasn’t in the right place, so scurried back to my car, clutching my starbucks for dear life… sans cigarettes. That’s the stereotype of AA right? At least how they make it look in the movies. Just crappier lighting and way more awkward.

Been driving around - thinking… I contacted my therapist to set up a meeting after several weeks off. They don’t know about my binge drinking problem… mostly because I was afraid he would tell my psychiatrist and my anxiety/sleep meds may be withdrawn. I may have abused those a few times… but usually because alcohol was involved… which is my main issue. Which brought me here…

So, hi. I really want to quit drinking. I’m scared. I’m already envisioning nights without a delicious wine while I cook… the smell - the taste. A refreshing beer on a summer’s day. A freshly made margarita… with salt - rocks. Group outings and me having to be completely sober - standing there with a Coke, feeling awkward as hell. I love to drink. Until I don’t. But those first few drinks make me feel like I’m invincible. Words come more easily to me. I feel funnier… smoother. Straight up liquid courage. Until I’m not. Until I consume that fourth drink… then fifth… then on an on. Wanting to get higher and higher. Then I get sloppy. I’m an angry drunk. The tears flow… the rage sets in. I want to fight everyone… the world feels like it’s on my shoulders.

The next day hangovers are crippling. I spend day and night in bed, recovering. Chugging pedialyte, possibly vomiting. Anxious. Embarrassed. Numb. Paralyzed. Head pounding. As I’ve aged, the hangovers have only gotten worse… Sometimes they last two days.

Then I switch into “healthy mode”. I want to detox… I workout, I sweat to makeup for it. I do ok… then, the cravings happen. Around day 3/4… and I work on the weekends… which is when I binge drink because I have to be in front of a large group of people - and my stage fright is crippling. So I drink again. And this the cycle repeats. On and on…

I don’t want to feel this way anymore. I want to take control of my life. I want to learn to have fun without alcohol. I want to be OK just being myself. I want the cravings to stop… I just want my life back.

I’m open to advice… I really need to focus on self care… doing things that I enjoy - which I’m not really sure what that is now a days as I’ve been seriously depressed for a long time now. And the alcohol voids my meds… so yeah. I hope I stick around and I appreciate you reading this if you made it this far.

15 Likes

Welcome to the forum! I can definitely relate to everything you have said, as I’m sure most people here can :slightly_smiling_face:

Here is the official “welcome” thread that has a bunch of stuff you can read through while you wait for people to respond here!

Welcome to the forum! 2022

The best piece of advice I can give that helped me is to just take each day one at a time. Don’t think about not drinking in the future, it will be too overwhelming.

5 Likes

Thank you for linking and the quick reply. Not to mention your advice regarding not worrying about drinking down the road. I guess I have this perfectionistic view of what getting sober is supposed to look like - which makes it (sobriety) feel even less achievable.

2 Likes

Hello Ashley, and welcome to you! I’m glad to hear a new voice. I know you will read your story in the stories of others here.

An AA tip - call the local hotline number to get the latest on what’s open and what’s virtual. You might even ask to have someone meet you there.

I used a counselor, AA meetings, Antabuse, journaling and getting arrested (not recommended) to get sober. You can do whatever suits you, if you are happy and calm then you know it’s working! Let those future days take care of themselves, stay in today and it will be easier. That’s more advice than I usually give, but those are the things that helped me. Here’s a thread on the ways other folks here have practiced sobriety.

Blessings on your house :pray: as you begin your journey.

5 Likes

Hi @AshleyDoesBetter and welcome here. Your story sounds very familiar to me. Suffice to say, I’ve been where you are, many here have. Welcome!

What you say you have to do, do what you enjoy, self care, be yourself, that’s all true. That’s the path you have to take. They say, build a life you don’t need alcohol to escape from. One you actually want to live. I’m sure you can do it, one day at a time.

Yes, you gotta lose the alc for your meds to work.
Same goes for your therapy, that also won’t work while you have the secret solace of alc.
That’s a new one I heard :joy:, the “reason” you didn’t tell your therapist. Isn’t there patient therapist confidentiality where you are? I’m sure he couldn’t have told anyone. 🤷 Our addiction is well protected by all the bs we tell ourselves. We protect it, by our false believes. A couple of others we share, I’m funnier drunk, I’m more sociable, I’m more liked. I don’t know if you have sexier and more frisky too, to name some of mine. I need it to even have a chance, I’m just too broken otherwise. All bs. All believed by me in the past.

Somewhere to start for you:

Advice for the Newcomer and Constant Relapser
Mental health memes and discussion (Part 1)

:tulip:

I look forward to seeing you around. Keep us posted on your progress.

3 Likes

I resonate with so many of the things you say. “Until it’s not.” White knuckling it will work for a while, like you say 3-4 days. Then the anxiety wins. The fear overcomes. The pain sets in. It will get better. But that’s for another time. Today is about putting one foot in front of another. How does someone finish a marathon? They start training. You have all the best resources right at your finger tips and in the mirror. I believe in you!

1 Like

I hear you, I hear you, I hear you. I binge drank just like that. I always wanted the sweet spot, but it was always one drink ahead or one drink ago. Realising that I will never hit that sweet spot, it is like the end of the rainbow, allowed me to escape the obsession of reaching it. I don’t want to purposefully frustrate myself.
Have u tried online meetings?

There are meetings at all times aimed at all sorts of groups.

3 Likes

Thank you - I was considering doing some online meetings but I’ve become a bit of a hermit and wanted to reach out to the local community and make some friends at those meetings as well. But I’m down for some online meetings!

2 Likes

Welcome! Like many others have said, just focus on one day at a time. It is too overwhelming to think of never drinking again right away.
We all struggle with drinking or another drug. It gets tied up in how we view ourselves. Cool? Uncool? Having fun or out of control? When really it is just a choice that we make. No one begins their evening with “I can’t wait to get shitfaced and do things that I will regret tommorrow. Then easte two more days feeling miserable.”
Nope. Instead, we think, “I am just going to have a bit of fun,” or “I just want to feel better.”
Keep coming here.
Check out the Recovery Elevator Podcast. Read some quit lit or watch some movies about Recovery. Maybe consider another line of work if it makes you pick up.

1 Like

Hi Ashley welcome here!
I was not a binge drinker, I drank almost every day. But I recognize a lot what you have written above. I think we all do because we are in the same boat so to speak.
I feel your dispear like it was mine 3 years ago.
3 years ago I came here because I was sick and tired with my drinking problem.
The first year of my recovery I came here every day to check in sober and talk a bit.
It kept me focussed.
I also made myself a sober plan. A list with things that helped me ore what I needed to do when I had a bad day.
Those things I gathered by reading here and try myself. The tips that worked I kept and those who don’t I skipped.
This is what has worked for me, maybe you see something you wanna try:

• No alcohol in my house for the first 3 months of my recovery
  • No alcohol related events for the first 3 months of my recovery (so no: pub, festival, restaurant, concert, etc)
  • Inform my family and close friends about my sober plan so they can support me and don’t offer me drinks.
  • Avoid the wine/beer section in the supermarket
  • Fill my refrigerator with healthy foods and alcohol free drinks.
  • Buy enough chocolate and sweets to eat for when I have cravings.
  • Look for activaties and hobbies to fill in time. Like walking in nature, run, reading, watch Netflix, listen to recovery podcast (recovery elevator is a good one :wink:), work out, gardening, studying something new, etc.
  • Reduce social media to protect myself
  • Getting a day counter on my phone and smart watch to focus on my amount on sober days.
  • Getting myself a sober peer group to support me in my recovery like TS ore AA.
  • Getting myself a meditation app filled with breathing exercizes and meditation. (Insight timer for example)
  • If I have cravings I try to find out where they come from using H.A.L.T

If that won’t work I come to TS and talk about it. But sometimes just reading all your stories help :grin:

• I used a vitamin B complex supplement to get more energy during the day. Also I used a melatonin supplement to help me with my sleeping problems in the first few months.
  • Celebrated every milestone! I gave myself a small gift like cake ore a nice t shirt ore whatever to celebrate my effort. At least in my first year I needed that! And gave myself a big gift when I reached my one year: a big back piece tattoo!! :star_struck:
  • And last but not least: make it as small as possible. Focus on today. Today is douable! If you do that day after day you will get that long sober stretch.

See you around Ashley! :raising_hand_woman:

2 Likes

AS said phone AA hot line they will put you right , i did over 35 years ago and im still sober it works if you want it wish you well

1 Like

Welcome!!! This beautiful raw true very real emotion you have laid out for yourself is right there. I felt every word and made my cry because I too have done the same things on top of drinking daily all day long. So you are in the right place. Do whatever you have to do to get over this hump of initial detoxing of your mind body and spirit and I promise it will get better, at times easier and If there are no meetings to go to come here there are always people 24/7 to talk to. Your in the right place. I’m sending you loving healing energy

1 Like