New to site, new to being sober

Hi guys am reaching out as I have been sober for 24 hours, first time in 10 years . Was wondering if you could give me some ideas of motivation and feeling I will experience

11 Likes

Hi! Welcome :hugs:

This might be a good place to start:

So much information and support on this forum, hope you find it as useful as I have! :pray::sparkling_heart:

3 Likes

Hi @Hoddy welcome!!! Be kind to yourself. Stay hydrated and try to rest as much as you can. Dump any left over booze out of the house. Stock your fridge with nice food and soft drinks. It takes a good ten days for all the alcohol to leave your system. Just listen to your body. Nice warm showers and lots of sleep worked for me. Also come here daily. Check in on the check in thread and read as much as you can about other people’s experiences. It’s lovely to meet you my friend and I look forward to seeing you around! :pray:t2::two_hearts:

4 Likes

Thank you, feeling a bit wobbly your support really helps xxx

3 Likes

Thank you for your kindness. This has been building for a while I know I have to do something it’s exciting/terrifying at the same time XXX

1 Like

Thank you. It’s only day 2 I feel silly struggling already XXX :cry:

1 Like

Yes Laura I feel really anxious. Have been out walking my dog and made a huge veggie lasagne. Trying to distract myself XXX :green_heart:

1 Like

Distraction is good! journaling helps, and chocolate…but that may be just me… I am 7 days strong, so was you just a moment ago! Stay connected to the group, read often, become engaged. Its a safe place.Welcome @Hoddy!

1 Like

Thank you so much to you both. What lovely women to reach out. Magic Mama are you feeling a bit better 7 days in? Xxđź’š

Thank you so much. I definitely will your help is really appreciated xx

1 Like

Wow, that is absolutely amazing !!! Well done xx

Yes… This time was different. Before I tried quitting because I was shamed or felt like a shitty person. This time it clicked and I am doing it because I wanted to be kind to myself. Which is the 1st time in 43 years I am just allowing this to be a year about me.

Its a mindset, and while the idea of having a drink with my spouse crops up. I let the thought go…its just a thought and quite frankly it takes way more energy to drink then not to… I need to be lazy right now so not making a drink is easier.

My journal is all rambling. I talk in 3rd person, 1st person…and just spill whatever onto the pages. And I plan ahead. What special thing do I get or get to do in the am because I am sober. I am attempting to live in the moment so I can enjoy the antipated future.

Some symptoms…Mild headache and some insomnia. or restless sleep. I am working through it and finding ways to move past it.

Feel free to reach out anytime @Hoddy!

4 Likes

Hi and welcome,

I’m glad you are reaching out. Have a look around, @Siand has given you a good place to start. You can use the magnifying glass at the top to look up topics. Stick around and let us know how you are getting on. There are a lot of good people on this site happy to share and give encouragement. :+1:

2 Likes

Good morning! And welcome. First of all if you are a spiritual person pray and thank GOD for keeping you in his grace and giving you the opportunity to get your life back on track…second and I know this is hard because it was hard for me and still is,distance yourself from people and events that will trigger you,.and third stay in this group, they are the best!!!..I wish you well,stay strong and remember…when Satan calls rebuke him in the LORDS name and we have your back!!

4 Likes

Thank you Laura,I’m a very spiritual man,raised in the church. I let Satan get me off track,but we serve a powerful and forgiving GOD and he’s the most important and powerful part of my sobriety,I truly believe he lead me to this group,he open doors and gives us the opportunity to do better and better!!

3 Likes

Yes it is!!

2 Likes

Welcome and congratulations on that step. I’m relatively new here (12 days sober) and have found reading and talking to people has helped me to feel more normal and less alone.

3 Likes

Welcome :slight_smile:

How is today treating you? In the first week of kicking my drugs of choice, I was extremely volatile, emotional. I was also in a severe amount of pain, but that may or may not be your experience. If you are having any severe withdrawal symptoms, I might have some advice as to how you could cope with some of them if I experienced them myself… just let me know.

What are you coming off of, if you don’t mind me asking?

1 Like

Hi my drinking has increased to a dangerous level. Almost 70 units a week. I have decided to stop, one day at a time. Had a really tough night last night , sorely tempted. But slept well and today is a new day. I am so appreciative of the folks on this site. Xx

2 Likes

No way, first 10 days awful! Totally ok to feel all kinds of things. I didn’t start feeling better until almost two weeks.

1 Like