New to this need help on how to get over addiction

I’m dying to make a step to recovery. I have been a user less than a year but my addiction is out of control and I don’t know how to over come it. Trouble is my partner is a user and doesn’t see that it is abusive problem he brings it home and thats how I get it. Im scared and really need help

2 Likes

Hi there. Unfortunately, your chances are about slim and none, and slim left town, as long as you are living with another addict. I feel your honest desire to get clean, and you can! Lots of us have. But first you have to find a safe place for yourself and either go to meetings every day for at least 30 days, or get yourself checked into a rehab. I don’t know your insurance situation, but if you can manage it, move out or tell them you want to get clean and see if they will move. It’s life or death, my friend. Trust me on that.

1 Like

Regardless of whatever your partner is doing, YOU can make the difference for yourself. It is extremely hard to overcome this because of your environment but YOU can, small steps. I myself have a partner with certain habits that I used to partake in. But I am 224 days today :pray: you can do this

4 Likes

Please please tell me how you stayed so motivated. I have faith in myself but its like an escape now. I just want it to go away x

1 Like

Join a meeting. Listen, talk if you want to or just listen. The worst feeling, is feeling alone. You’re not alone - so many people have been where you are:

https://www.intherooms.com/home/category/community-and-meetings/

You’ll feel more motivated as you get a better sense of yourself, as you engage with sober contacts and build your sober community, here and elsewhere. Youve been running from something, escaping into your addiction. You need to get to know yourself and learn to stand on your own (sober) legs. You can do it - and it starts by making some sober connections and learning about your addiction.

Welcome!

And there’s more stuff here:

Resources for our recovery

1 Like

Thank you after the first week I know I will be motivated I know I will but I just can’t get to that point and don’t know how

Motivation needs to come from within, the desire for change has to motivate you.

Maybe you need to tell your partner about your desire to stop will it go well probably not but your voice deserves to be heard.

If you desire to stop now, you dont need a week for motivation, you already have it, adding a timeline for it, isn’t healthy. Everyone grows at their own pace,

A few people suggested meetings, which are a pillar of the sobriety network, you would be surprised how helpful they can be

1 Like

Hi and welcome :wave:

Being honest with ourselves and others about the choices we need to make is hard. But this forum is full of people who are living proof that it is possible!

I would recommend spending some time reading around - this collection of threads is a good place to start:

:pray::sparkling_heart:

Luckily I met her after I was already about 4 months into my sobriety, but of course the urges, and feelings were still present. When I would see her smoke or pop something I got angry. But I knew and I still know now that in reality, some people will not change, and have no desire to. I KNEW I had to change. And that no one can take from me. I now inspire her. It is 100% super difficult but your faith is gonna get you through this. Stay strong for yourself, I believe in you.