Newbie and scared

I just got out of the hospital for acute detox. I want to to quit but don’t know how.

17 Likes

This is a good step. I highly recommend going to a AA or NA meeting. Watch some YouTube videos on quitting listen to podcasts about quitting. You can stay sober for today and today is all that matters.

9 Likes

Welcome Michelle.
You are not alone. This forum has been a great resource for me in my sobriety. Have a good read around and join in when your comfortable.
Maybe start off looking for a meeting in your area.
https://www.aa.org/pages/en_us/find-local-aa

And there are lots of great resources to read about here.
Here are two good threads to start:

I was scared shit when I started my sober journey. That’s a common feeling when we get started. And there are lots of Newbies here so you are not alone.
I hope to see you around.
:pray:t2::heart:

5 Likes

Hope you’re okay, I just did online meetings practically all day, every day for first days, Every hour I tried to get enveloped in na or AA meetings cos I really didn’t want the alcohol envelope anymore…:two_hearts::two_hearts::two_hearts::two_hearts::two_hearts::two_hearts::two_hearts::two_hearts::+1::+1::+1::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::green_heart::green_heart::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::neutral_face:

2 Likes

Welcome Michelle! You can quit and you deserve to be sober and happy. :heart:

2 Likes

Coming here is a great step. Be active and open for advice and suggestions. Join a recovery group like AA or SMART

2 Likes

Welcome!
Like others have said coming here is an awesome first step. Try and get to some meetings in your area or some online meetings.
Stay strong and positive, you got this!

2 Likes

I love your encouraging words. I especially love this part! It reminds me to stay focused and to keep on pushing! Thank you!

~Sunshine~

4 Likes

Welcome. I am glad you are here among us. No need to fear. Many of us have walked the ground you are seeking to cover, so the path ahead is well worn and clearly marked.

Quitting is simple: say “no” to the drink that matters…the first drink, and do it each and every time the opportunity or urge to drink presents.

When we say “no” to the first drink, we win. We win because without the first drink, there can’t be a second or third or eighth. However, when we say “yes” we lose, with the only question unanswered being how badly we’ve lost.

Since you’re out if detox, the physical battle is behind you. Now it becomes 100% a mental war. Remember: as long as you say “no” to the drink that matters, you win that particular battle. Do it for the rest of your life, and you win the war.

9 Likes

Keep it simple, take it easy, and dont pick back up or youll be right back needing to clear up again. If you had a rough detox remember how that feels, thats one of the many problems that you will have to get through. Pick up the phone call someone who can help find a support group or a meeting to learn what others are doing to break the chains. Always remember there is hope, there is a solution.

3 Likes

How are you doing. ?. :wave::rose:

1 Like

I’m doing well! Now 26 days sober! One day at a time. :blush:
Thanks for asking!

5 Likes

Congratulations on 26 days :grin:
Im glad your doing ok.

3 Likes

Welcome. There is a lot of good information on this site for you to dig into. I hope you’ll stick around and allow this group to support you along your path to recovery.

3 Likes

Thank you! :blush:

2 Likes

That’s amazing, 26 days . :rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::pray::pray::pray:… Keep going :hugs:

3 Likes

Thank you Hazy! :blush:

2 Likes