Newbie trying to stop drinking

Here I go again trying to stop, I have tried several times to stop drinking but always come back for more, can anyone who has stoped and kept sober give me some pointers how have you managed it? thanks

7 Likes

get support from people with long term sobriety and use them. Ask people for help bc they understand and genuinely want to help you stay sober. When you wake up make a daily plan of action and be prepared for some hard days. At times all the advice in the world ain’t going to be enough if your not prepared to go through a bit of pain. When it hurts its working. All the best and wish you well.

1 Like

Welcome @Cozybear! The best advice I can give you is don’t try to do it alone. The bigger your network of people, the more support and accountability you’ll have. Being on this forum daily and going to AA meetings keeps my sobriety front and center.

1 Like

Welcome Cozy Bear.
Your first topic title sounds like mine over 500 days ago.

Have a good read around here. This place has been a great place for me to get support in my sobriety. Addiction is too tough to go it alone. We are stronger in numbers. And we are all worth it.
One day at a time. That’s it. One day at a time.

:pray:t2::heart:

Here are two good threads to start:

3 Likes

Cozybear,
The reason you keep drinking after you try to quit is because you are not truly done with alcohol.
Deep inside you still feel you can handle a drink.
This is especially true after you have a few days sober. You start feeling better and it seems like a drink couldn’t hurt anything.
Surrounding yourself with a support team is a good plan, but a support team can’t do the one thing it takes to start you toward recovery, and that is you have to give up and give in to the fact that you are incapable of drinking alcohol in any form.
You can’t hang on to achievements you’ve had in the past.
Alcohol is stronger than any predator you’ll ever meet. You may need to find a quiet private place and get on your knees and say the words in your heart, that you know your life is a wreck and you need HIS help to get you through.
DK

2 Likes

It took me 3 rehabs, IOP, sober living house, AA and the 12 steps.

1 Like

Thanks for your time and your advise I realy appreciate it :pray:

1 Like

Thanks for your time and advice going to get as much help as I can :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks for your time, I’m considering aa infact I think this is the answer , thanks again👊

1 Like

Thanks for your time and your right up until now I don’t think deep down I’ve let go of alcohol, even though I thought I had, and do you know I feel a prayer is going to happen this morning :pray:

Thanks for your time, so I’m guessing your 500 days on this journey can’t wait to get that far but definitely 1day at a time :facepunch:

1 Like