Newly Sober 333

Hi Guys,
My name is James, 26 and I’m an alcoholic. First time I’ve ever spoke those words. I’m 2 days sober. The mental ups and downs I’ve been feeling are really hard especially after finally accepting my reality and my addiction. Binge drinking for years and years. If at all anyone could share their story and hang ups that they went through and how they persevered that would be amazing. Was blessed to find this app so quickly on my journey and been reading a ton of these post. I never knew anyone that was sober, and after seeing all of these people praying, encouraging, and counseling one another I can see that there is a sober army out there and we are strong.
Best,
James

10 Likes

Welcome James.
Congrats on day 2.
This is a great sober community to give and receive support. Have a good read around and join in when your comfortable.
Here’s a good thread with lots of info on it.

I hope to see you around.
:pray:t2::purple_heart::cactus:

2 Likes

Hi James and welcome! :raising_hand_woman:
This app is a big part of my recovery, sober for years now. I wish you the same.
Read around and put in the effort.
Change the things, people and places that (deep inside) we know we have to change to get a sober ore clean life.
See you around!

2 Likes

Hi james! Congrats on your 2 days and welcome to this amazing group! I am also 26 and on day 12. The mental ups amd downs were awful the first 4 days but I have found stuff to keep me busy and I can already say I feel better and can’t wait to learn who I really am. The sober me. Alcohol was my coping mechanism and it has lead me to very dark and alone places that I never want to go back to. With this group I have received so many kind words and advice. I go on walks and attend meetings every day and start therapy tomorrow. We’re all in this together and good luck on your journey to sobriety! Reach out at any time!!

2 Likes

Hey James and welcome here. damn you are right, I remember when I got sober and I had to take this leap of confidence that it must be indeed possible to live without alc as evidently so many folks in AA and on the podcasts I was listening to were doing it. I also didn’t know anyone in real life who did. but I had no other choice than to take the leap and it seems to me you are at this same point.

if you use the magnifying glass up there you can search for any keyword or click on the category to choose your story to find older posts that could inspire you. there are also the many daily check-in threads you can follow ppl through your journey pretty much live. there is such a well of stories and lived experiences here, you can get lost in that for days. I did at the start. one thing you can trust is that there is this community here, so many hurt and complex souls, all fucked up in their own way, working towards a better life with more happiness, dignity and love in it. and so can you be on your way too.

I’ll attach a few link I find helpful and hope to read from you soon again!
Resources for our recovery
Advice for the Newcomer and Constant Relapser

2 Likes

Welcome @333

Congratulations on your decision and getting through those first 24 hours.

There absolutely is a sober army on here the guys are great. You’re not alone and you can do this :heart:

2 Likes

Welcome James. The first days are the hardest in my opinion. It gets easier. I was a daily drinker for a long time. Getting sober was simultaneously the hardest, best thing I have ever done. Find a solid support. Ask questions. Welcome to TS.

2 Likes