Nine Years 🚭

I haven’t smoked a cigarette in 9 years.

27 Likes

Congratulations, that’s a lot of time! :sunflower::upside_down_face: Do you ever have an urge to smoke?

4 Likes

Thank you. :blush: No, definitely not anymore. It feels extremely foreign to me. Once in a very, very great while I have a dream about smoking a cigarette. I am immensely relieved once I wake up, but these dreams are incredibly rare. I don’t know why they happen. Brains are weird & addiction is not curable unfortunately.

5 Likes

That’s a huge accomplishment! Congratulation on 9 years as a non-smoker :sunflower::tulip::bouquet::notes::+1:

1 Like

Thank you for sharing this. I think it can help to see that it is possible. :blossom: (I found another emoji. Happens that sunflower is my favourite one atm , and the monkey of course :see_no_evil:)

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

It’s possible, but it’s REALLY freaking hard. Just being honest. :face_with_peeking_eye:

2 Likes

Awesome milestone! Congratulations! :confetti_ball:
9-9

2 Likes

Thank you! :blush::blush::blush:

1 Like

Great job!! Best decision ever. I love being a non smoker and being able to breathe!
I’m in the middle of 5 years and I know what you mean about the thought being foreign now. I hardly ever crave a cig and my SO is a chain smoker. I’ve tried to get him to quit but to no avail.

4 Likes

Hey congratulations on quitting those nasty things! I have roughly 16 years no cigarettes and almost 13 no chewing tobacco. Nicotine is such a rough one to quit but the health benefits are enormous. I couldn’t imagine paying what they charge for that crap these days… wowzers.

5 Likes

So glad you understand. I feel like ppl expect me to still crave cigs, but I honestly haven’t in YEARS. :woman_shrugging:t2: My brother is like that too. Still smoking. I worry about his health. I wish he at least vaped instead. I could be wrong, but vaping just seems less harmful than actual smoke.

2 Likes

Congrats Alex
9 years is a huge accomplishment. Glad to know the cravings / urges do pass. Looking forward to that :wink:
My brother in law vapes and does so a hell of a lot more cause there isnt actual smoke. I just recently heard that vaping also has many harmful side effects- not sure if its best to go from smoking to vaping to quitting as this may add on another addiction :woman_shrugging:.
Be super proud of you— you are really turning your life around and getting healthier :sparkles: :raised_hands: :heart:

2 Likes

Thank you. I’m sure vaping isn’t healthy bc we aren’t supposed to put anything but oxygen in our lungs, but it just seems less dangerous to me I guess. Cigarettes seem to contain way more harmful chemicals & smoke in your lungs just seems so much more harsh. Vaping is still so new, so we’ll find out a lot more about its harmful effects in the future. I guess if I had to choose, I’d choose vaping. It’s probably not that much better though.

1 Like

Nicotine is one of the hardest addictions to break. Bravo on your accomplishment!

2 Likes

Omg, that is amazing!!! I know what a beast nicotine is, congratulations!!!

1 Like

Thank you. It’s insane how hard it is to quit. I’m in awe of anyone who has quit it. Even simply switching from smoking to vaping is incredibly difficult, even though it’s literally the same drug. Wild.

1 Like

Thanks! :people_hugging: I honestly don’t understand how I was able to quit cigarettes to this day. How the hell was I able to quit something that had an indescribable grip on me??? I was pregnant & determined, but I’m still shocked my attempt at quitting didn’t fail. Once I quit, I knew that I could literally NEVER EVER go back. Cigs were the hardest addiction I ever quit, so there was literally no way I was ever going back to being a smoker again. I 100% learned my lesson!

2 Likes

Did you do it cold turkey??? That is amazing if so!! So much to be proud of. It is an amazing feeling when we can let go of something so horrible for us. :heart::people_hugging::heart:

It took me about 2+ years in a relapse/quit cycle to be fully quit. It was so incredibly difficult, I had smoked for 32 years. I will be 15 years free this December. Like you, I am still astonished I was able to quit. That 100% changed my life and trajectory. Got me running and on the path to sobriety, which also took me a long while. Just keep quitting was my motto when I was trying to quit nicotine/cigarettes.

You have so much to be proud of!!! :clap:

3 Likes

Good effort.

1 Like