No meeting and need to share

truth. cheers mate :+1:

1 Like

It is a bit much, but does that mean it can’t be true? From what I’ve seen it happens often that family bails on an addict, and I don’t think OD or death from alcohol poisoning is a nice death. The future of us addicts is likely horrible if we don’t get our shit together.

2 Likes

I guess your right. Saying things like that can really help, but its best in a controlled environment like rehab

3 Likes

personally I think you made a valid point, there are only 2 things going to happen if I don’t stop, one is dying early the other is wishing I had died early. People need to hear the truth bc we don’t always want to hear it but addiction is a matter of life and death.

4 Likes

Hey Dolse71,

I will have a full week after a very bad relapse tomorrow. I even went to a thirty day rehab last fall, and still managed to relapse. Something has shifted since the withdrawals and consequences of this last relapse in my mind. I just know I can’t drink ever again, and I want what all those with true sobriety have. I am hitting 1 to 2 online AA meetings a day. I really love your posts and am so hopeful you succeed. Do you mind sharing where you are getting the 24/7 zoom links?

Hang in there, buddy! Also, I’m Jenny, and I am an alcoholic. Hope you have a better Sunday, Paul. We are all rooting for you!

3 Likes

Hey Jenny; I think if you go to the magnifying glass and type in “zoom meetings”…

1 Like

Thank you, Donna! I wanted to join our TS zoom meeting yesterday, but the app was down. TS app still isn’t working for me today, so I am using my work laptop. Hope you are having a great Sunday!

1 Like

I just googled AA zoom meetings and follow a link until I get in one. sorry can’t be more precise I’m not great with technology and already lost the page I went to first time.

copy code into zoom.
@LeeHawk

Hey, thanks, buddy!

Good afternoon Paul, proud of you for reaching out. This is the program of Alcoholics Anonymous working in your life. I want to share with you something out of the Big Book page 417, it’s called “Acceptance Was The Answer.”

When I stop living in the problem and began living in the answer, the problem went away. From that moment on, I have not had a single compulsion to drink.
And acceptance is the answer to all my problems today. When I’m disturbed, it is because I find some person, place, thing, or situation— some fact of my life—unacceptable to me, and I can find no serenity until I accept that person, place, thing, or situation as being exactly the way it is supposed to be at this moment. Nothing, absolutely nothing, happens in God’s world by mistake. Until I could accept my alcoholism, I could not stay sober; unless I accept life completely on life’s terms, I cannot be happy. I need to concentrate not so much on what needs to be changed in the world as on what needs to be changed in me and in my attitudes. :heart:

2 Likes

Wow powerful message .my demon is heroin but I can relate so much with that message 35 days sober!!!

3 Likes

Spot on Conor. :heart:

1 Like

Hi I’m Paul I’m an alcoholic I need to come on here bc I’m trying to do 90 meetings in 90 days and that involves a share and I can’t do it on zoom today. so it’s day 8 today I’m grateful for that been listening to people talking about AA and religion but even now I find it embarrassing to use the word god in my conversation but I have had to hand myself over to something or someone. I’ve tried everything to be sober and all my choices have got me nowhere. Believing in a higher power or a power greater than myself could well be the only option I’ve got left.

7 Likes

Have you got a sponsor Paul? That’s what helped me, then I had a kick up the backside to do the work. Know it’s quite hard in these times

2 Likes

I know exactly how you’re feeling. Back in 2015 I had just been through my second divorce and my drinking had reached a climax, every day, all day. I needed help in a bad way. Luckily I made it to a detox facility and then into an inpatient rehab facility. AA was pushed hard, completely new to me, and at that point I claimed to be atheist, but I had a deep hatred for this so called “God”.

I wanted to be sober though and liked the strength and support I saw AA giving other addicts. So I started small, kept it simple, I like simple.

I could accept that there were things in this world greater than me. For me it was nature, the outdoors, that feeling of peace I had when I was alone in the mountains, the desert or just taking in a sunrise/sunset. That feeling was greater than me. I could submit to that feeling and try, ask, pray for that feeling to be present when I was struggling and just more present in my every day life.

So that’s how I started. I never said God in my meetings, I never prayed to God, I had conscious conversations with nature, my higher power. At that point in my life it worked. Still to this day the concept of “God” that most people have is not how I see God. But I now use the word because it has become personal to me and how I see and understand my God.

I think having and believing in a higher power is so beneficial in achieving sobriety. You’re never truly alone.

Wish you luck my friend. You can do this.

4 Likes

Hello. My name is Jana and I was an alcoholic.
I started drinking when I was approximately 15 yo and drank for 16 years. I have stopped drinking alcohol last year in August 26th, so I am gladly going for my 1 Year Sober Anniversary :hugs:

I am proudly saying that I was an alcoholic, because since last summer my mind-set shifted such much that I am not considering myself as an alcoholic anymore. I am not choosing not to drink because I feel like I CAN’T drink. I am choosing not to drink because I DON’T SEE A SENSE in drinking anymore and so I DON’T WANT to drink. I am not tempted, I don’t have cravings and I feel very happy in my sober life. I would have to be insane and totally unconscious to take the drink again.

:heart::four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes

Congratulations on your sobriety Jana!!! The first year was the toughest time for me but it sounds like you are doing really well.
This period of no in-person meetings has been difficult but I’ve been working hard to stay sober. Sounds like you are too. Stay strong and reach out when you need to. :slightly_smiling_face: