No religion please

I remind myself of all of the times that it made me feel really shitty. Congratulations on day 6, not far behind you. Here is what has helped me, and it’s advice I got from a book called stop thinking about drinking. That voice that says it’s okay to have a few, or that it would taste good or that you will feel better? It’s your addiction voice. Give it a name. I named my drinking voice Asshole. So last night when I was on my way home my addiction voice chimed in with, jeez, it’s new years, you’ve done three days, so you don’t need to quit to which I replied STFU Asshole. It sounds weird, but it helps. What would you name your addiction voice if you were so inclined?

5 Likes

You should turn that into your own thread.

Back in the early days, mine was called Derek.

PS: Thank you @Englishd :sweat_smile::+1::joy:

7 Likes

LOL :rofl::rofl::rofl: @Mephistopheles I named my drinking voice Derek!!! Briefly. It didn’t stick for the longterm. Derek’s too nice. Don’t tell him I said that, it’ll ruin his new year :+1::grimacing::joy:

3 Likes

First belly laugh in 2020 :+1::rofl:

Hi Cameron / Yoda, nice to meet another Star Wars fan here! :grinning: Lots of good advice on this thread about keeping centred and staying open. Many of us have struggled with accepting life as it is, with all its joys and ups and downs and irritations and boredoms. (For many of us, our DOC was our escape. I don’t want to feel this way or face this life, so I’ll run away.) You’re in the right place and you’ve got a deep, supportive community here. Explore the threads and you’ll find lots of insight and fun.

Here’s one you may find useful. It has a detailed list of many different recovery groups, including specifically non-religious ones. I’ve seen many people here who’ve been surprised at how much attending a group helps (whether we’re religious or spiritual or atheist or believe in The Force) - it’s basic human social nature, we need to connect, to share the journey. There are lots of options here:

Wishing you a stable new year and looking forward to seeing you more! :innocent:

5 Likes

Write it down and keep it somewhere. Because that little voice is not going to stop trying to get you to use again. You need to be able to remind yourself just like that.
Have you come across the term " sober toolbox"?

2 Likes

Oh my God :joy:

(sorry no pun intended)

3 Likes

Congrats on your days! Could you find some other things that make you feel happy, like hobbies? Nature always helps take my mind off things.

Wait… we are naming them now??
Good grief

2 Likes

I have no choice but to believe in a higher power of my understanding. There’s no other explanation as to why I’m alive.

5 Likes

I spent a lot of time in a church sanctuary. Church multiple times per week. Heard more sermons than I can count over nearly two decades.

Yet, I found spirituality and a god of my understanding with a group of drunks in the church basement or auxiliary room.

3 Likes

Sober toolbox? No… never heard of it. Care to elaborate? :slightly_smiling_face:
And yes, writing is a good idea, i will do that.

1 Like

Building your sober toolbox

4 Likes

I’ve Always been a drinker. It go t worse after deployment in 2018. I hit a point on September 25,2019 that I had enough and tried to commit suicide (twice). I was placed in the hospital that night. Since then, I’ve cut back a whole lot. Maybe 4 beers/ drinks a week. But I started to fall back into old habits again. A friend of mine recommended the sober time app and that brought me here. 7 days by 2359 tonight.

6 Likes

I’m in treatment for the last 3 months because I tried to kill myself. I never said that I don’t see alcoholic as a negative thing. I continue treatment because I realize that I cannot stop on my own and need the help. I absolutely believe that it has brought negativity to my life, which is why I’m trying to stay strong. I do enjoy everything about it, which is why I’m an “Addict”.

And to answer you question about my title, I have two answers for you. The first would be because I don’t believe in religion. I don’t need anyone trying to preach to me about what god or what power will save me. I’m sure that there are other ways to get sober without conforming to the beliefs of others. Second answer would be…it was a title that wasn’t taken yet.

Thank you

6 Likes

Glad to hear you accepted help when you needed it :pray::sparkling_heart: That is such an important step.

The reason I asked why you are in treatment is to find out what the other side to the story is. So on the one hand you like how alcohol makes you feel… But then alcohol also makes you feel very bad, bad enough to try and kill yourself?

I was not physically addicted to alcohol or any other substances but I know what has made a big difference for me is ‘playing my tape to the end’. When I think about alcohol I don’t think about any of the things I thought I liked. That bit didn’t last. I think about the result… The blackouts, the putting myself in vulnerable situations, doing stupid and embarrassing shit, losing things, upsetting people, telling people way too much about myself, the money I wasted, the hangovers, anxiety and shame.

Writing out all that horrible stuff, and thinking about that side of it, well now that is what I associate with alcohol.

The link that @Matt posted is the one I would normally link to and has loads of great suggestions for resources, including different recovery networks.

Good answer!! :joy::blush: like I said in my earlier post I am not religious but I have learned a lot from people who are. Some people can’t get past the God aspect of AA but other people who are atheists swear by AA (I think it does vary a bit depending on where you live too). I am not a Buddhist but I have found meditation and Buddhist philosophy helpful, although I don’t pretend I’m an expert. Prayer and meditation are pretty similar.

My understanding is that religion alone doesn’t save anyone, we all have to put in the work ourselves. What helps is having a supportive community to be part of, and a shared belief system is definitely one way of building community.

But this is also acommunity and there are people of all faiths and none here. Keep checking in, reach out whenever you need to :pray::sparkling_heart:

8 Likes

Has anyone suggested SMART meetings? Or CBT? Or REBT?

@KayDee I.Love.This.
So doing it! Off to find that bitch a name :grin:

I say, religion might just also be a drug…

Post just Flagged , i’d like the reason and a open conversation… so please, before flag a post dont feel offended but say your bit

1 Like