Not drinking Alcohol and my mood-Venting

I have been sober 11 days and I thought I would feel happier. I was mixing alcohol with my anti depressant and anti anxiety pills and felt that was counter productive so I decided for my mental, physical, and emotional well being I would quit drinking. Now I find myself very sad, and even more depressed. I am so tempted to drinking, especially right now. Even just for a few hours of false happiness. This is a lot more difficult than I thought it would be. I find myself canceling plans to meet up with people bc usually it would involve alcohol. My anxiety is at an extreme high and I don’t even want to leave the house. I just want to sleep and pass the time that way. But when I sleep I have these crazy dreams and wake up drenched in sweat. I don’t feel any improvement no matter how positive I try to be. That hopeless feeling is creeping back up in me… :pensive:

2 Likes

No one said this is going to be easy. In fact… it is really hard. But everything thats worth it is difficult.

The reason it is difficult is so that you have a true appreciation of what you get at the end.

And remember!

Drugs and alcohol equals short term fix long term hell.

Sobriety equals long term fix short term hell.

It is worth it. Trust me the human brain repairs itself incredibly easily if you give it time. I am day 68 and i felt like you on the first few weeks too.

On day 68 i feel good. Mentally and emotionally. Fight through the first weeks. You can do it.

7 Likes

…yes, great advice! The sweats and dreams are a normal thing as your body is on a detox, these will pass do just bear with it. I quite enjoyed the dreams in a funny way but the sweats are not too nice

2 Likes

I’m going to be real with you. I was going to post something similar. I’m 30 days in today and thought I’d be happier. I’m trying very hard to get involved and pick up new hobbies.

I am glad about no more hangovers, no more driving drunk, no more sex when I shouldn’t. Those parts I don’t miss.

What keeps me sober so far is the fear of who I become, the bonds I break, the friends I bail on, the hangovers spent googling for psychiatrists and rehabs, throwing up in my bathtub, having strangers over, my face looking like hell. Mind you I only drank twice a week.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, missing Christmas and Easter waking up on two different floors. Ruining a relationship. Ruining promising dates. Wanting a day off on vacation lying in a hotel room.

1 Like

Alcohol (especially over long term over-use) affects your brain chemistry. So do those anti-anxiety and depression meds. It can take a while for everything to even out. Unfortunately there is no quick fix here. But it is so worth it to keep going one day at a time. Here are some things that helped me in early recovery:

Stay strong. You aren’t alone.

5 Likes

I could have written your post. I was on anti depressants and drinking a lot. Mixing the 2 is counterproductive so I stopped too. Yes I had the sweats and dreams too. I slowly came off prozac…took about 4 months and had my last one a month ago. I have been trying to stop alcohol and have had 3 resets. It’s bloody hard! Especially when things in life get stressful… (like this week for me) but I know that alcohol will cause more anxiety and any relief is short lived. So it’s not worth it. But I’m not happy either. I’m cancelling plans, dumped my bf, alone with 3 kids and it’s shit tbh!! However it was a hell of a lot worse hungover, anxious, Ill and sinking badly. I promise. It will get better. It will get easier. The alcohol is a false happiness and one day the happiness will be real x

4 Likes

This helped me so much @MissQuinn! Your original post was great. I’m on day 50 after a relapse and today was a tough day for me. Really had some big cravings. I’m going to try getting some special and fizzy to drink and put it in a pretty wine glass. Thank you!! :blush:

2 Likes

The first 30 days are the hardest @Dee18. I’ve experienced all that you are saying and can totally relate. I just always fall back on something my sponsor (and all the old-timers) told me - “Think through the drink”. This one drink will make me feel so much better (my disease whispers to me). But I know, that it won’t be “one” drink. One leads to two, then a bottle, then driving out for another bottle regardless of the consequences.

Today was a tough day for me too. I’m on day 50 but still experience deep cravings. Like get-in-the-car-at-any-hour-of-the-day-and-find-a-liquor-store cravings. It is difficult, but AA is my program so I called my sponsor and it really helped. Now I’ll take some advice on this thread from @MissQuinn and keep busy until I have a nice, refreshing fizzy drink in a wine glass at dinner. Treat yourself! Do something special like that to celebrate that you didn’t drink today. Remember, it’s only for today. Just tell yourself you won’t drink today. Then tomorrow, get up and do it again…just for today! You can do it! We are here to walk the path with you. :purple_heart:

4 Likes

They have me on Zoloft for a few months now and I can’t even tell if it’s working. Part of me just wants off the meds and see where that brings me. But my anxiety is soo bad that there is no way I could stop taking my xanax. I feel like things bw me and my bf are coming to an end… we have spent the last 7 years drinking and fighting, and now neither one of us are drinking right now. We have nothing to say to each other and nothing in common to do. When we are around each other I feel like we just get on each other’s nerves where when we were drinking it didn’t really matter. Everything seems very hard to get through. I’m glad for this app though. Glad to know I’m not alone though I dont wish anyone to go through this crap…

3 Likes

Hang in there!!! I’ve been thru the same thing and it takes 2 weeks for medicine to get dialed in for it’s true effect and your body and emotions are in overdrive right now. I don’t know how long you’ve been on your medicine but maybe it’s not working for you and you might need something else. Over the years I’ve been thru a couple to find the right one for me. And I’ve also had the scary nights and waking up soaked from sweat after I quit. It gets easier I promise!!! You are on day 11 (12?) and that is a HUGE deal and is such an achievement! I didn’t have time to read what others posted on this comment but maybe you can talk to your doctor and see if they can help you.

We are all here for you and there’s unlimited information on this app to reference. We all know the struggle to stay sober but the fight is worth it. I’m on day 56 and was a blackout drinker just about every day and I don’t miss that shit at all!

2 Likes

Please take care of yourself first and foremost.

1 Like

Keep your head up. It takes time. A lot of us were the same way, especially early on. I didn’t leave the house for a month when I stopped. Eventually the mind and body catch up and you’re bettered than ever.

3 Likes