Not Sure if I'm Addressing This Correctly or ...?

how this will appear when it posts -
But hello! I’m new here. I’m Gabriella. :confetti_ball:

First time seeking outward help, or a community of sorts… rather than relying on my own abilities to get back to sobriety. I feel a bit odd about it, if I’m being honest. A bit uncomfortable - so I’m going to bite the bullet and give a little summary of my journey for those who are interested, and then I’ll go on rambling for those of you who are just looking for a little story to read.

I’m 21 years old, grew up in the good old midwest, y’know how it is, get them started early - (all jokes aside it was my own initiative). I had been drinking pretty heavily from 15-19 years old.
At 19, I was hospitalized for acute pancreatitis. I quit cold turkey - feeling it wasn’t even a matter of temptation anymore - but the only choice I had. The doctors pretty much said they’d never seen a case worse at such a young age.
I remained sober for one whole year. Hands down the best year of my life; all I could see was the opportunity surrounding me that had been hidden so long by my blurred vision. Then, I decided to move to NYC at 20, leaving home for the first time; pretty naive - innocent.
This was September 2021, about a year ago to date. I got a job immediately as a line cook, and well - you could guess what happened next. I relapsed. Hard.

So, as fall was rolling in the city, I met a boy, first kiss and whatnot blah blah -
I was overwhelmed and lonely and confused - misplaced emotions all over the place - and pouring endless drinks and (sneaking into bars because of course that’s that sort of thing you do when your boss can get you in) :upside_down_face:
All of the sudden, I understood the stress, of the addicts in the restaurant industry. Of what Anthony Bourdain, my hero, meant. The stress was, well, stressful, but also a heavenly adrenaline rush.

As the months went on, I attempted to go sober multiple times. Each time only lasted a few days at most. And then in December, I finally felt so proud when I hit the 2-week mark. I returned to work, with people telling me I looked great! Healthy even! I felt much more myself.

The next day was New Years’ Eve… and then the next week; my birthday… and then a rager at a coworker’s… and all of the sudden I was in a swirl of deep blues and emotion and nonstop partying, reckless behavior…
Somewhere amongst all of this, I was sexually assaulted -
and the cycle worsened tenfold. I was back to being a full-blown alcoholic. Drinks in the morning before work, on my bathroom breaks, and all throughout the night. I was on a constant bender.

I finally decided in May, I had been in this depressive episode lasting months and abusing my body horribly. I left the city - and am now currently living with my parents back home, who are heavy alcoholics… I have tried multiple times this summer to go sober, but mostly failed attempts. It has felt like hell, returning to old habits in a familiar environment.

In August, I decided it was enough and became sober for 29 days. I felt great, in control. Making actual plans again. Planning to return to the city, to do over. To reclaim what had been wrongfully taken away. I guess you could say I was feeling a little cocky.
I relapsed pretty hard these past few weeks - and am today 3 days sober.

Thank you for reading if you got this far, I can’t tell you what it means to get this off my chest.
Love and hugs to all of you beautiful people in this community. :love_you_gesture: :love_letter: :boxing_glove:

13 Likes

Glad your here! Good for you on 3 days. Stay focused and keep coming back here, it helps.

1 Like

Welcome, Gabriella, I’m really glad to chose to show up here. You know, they say it doesn’t matter how long or how much you drank, but what booze did to you. You deserve a sober go at life, not an early grave, and you’re in good company here to do that. Have a look around, there’s so much help it’s mind blowing!

Here’s a couple of threads with sobriety ideas and tips, I’m positive something in that mix will work for you.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your story. I have worked restaurants and many of them are seriously saturated with drugs and alcohol use, so I can relate to that. You have been through a lot, and those scars don’t just go away over night. You can definitely do this. You’re three days in and that is awesome. Every day, or hour, or even minute really counts when you first start.

I hope you’re able to make use of this community and allow it to be a help to you along your journey. I would encourage you to not only get involved with the sobriety specific threads, but also the more “community building” ones (e.g. Pet pictures, plants, food, memes) which will allow you to get to know more people and feel like you belong to a drug/alcohol free social sphere.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your expressions, Dan!
Day 5 and I’m feeling pretty peachy. Been spending a lot of time outdoors, in nature, and talking with friends. I cannot tell you how grateful I am for your words, they’ve been on my mind - and the posts you attached.

1 Like

Thank you! I will. Still getting used to this site, but it seems handy.

Thank you for your kind words and suggestions, I sincerely appreciate them! It’s a bit nerve-wracking to be reaching out to the community, but I’m sure that’s owed to bias created around the “sober community”. Clearly it’s much tougher when there isn’t someone listening on the other end. I’m glad I’ve finally felt the push to open up and listen to others’ stories other than trying to put a bandaid over the problem. Thank you for your encouragement… it’s true the time is kind of just ticking by slowly the first few weeks or so.

Quick question if you wouldn’t mind me asking - did you ever find a successful path in the restaurant industry while maintaining your sobriety?

2 Likes

I know you didn’t ask me, but there is a sobriety support group for service and restaurant workers called Ben’s Friends. Check them out. Congrats on making a great decision.

2 Likes

Thanks for that suggestion @LeeHawk i will suggest that to my server husband

1 Like

Awesome. Currently checking their page out - I had no clue something like this even existed. Thank you

1 Like