Odd things you did to get /stay sober

We often get told “it’s whatever it takes” so what did it take… I once stood in an empty field shouting FUUUUUCK!!! Until the anger and the obsession went.
I used to phone other sober people while I was in the shops and wouldn’t hang up until I had managed to get out with no alcohol.

33 Likes

I read every single David Sedaris book and laughed out loud, alone, at home in my sweatpants.

17 Likes

That made me chuckle :rofl:

5 Likes

Me too and that was the point! Early days are so rough I needed a laugh. And, like a true addict, why read one when I could read EVERYTHING!

I’m due for a field scream. Good call.

10 Likes

Somehow convinced myself that I’m allergic to alcohol (which could actually be true :thinking:) and avoided driving past liquor stores. If I had to in the beginning, I was yelling ‘fuck you’ while giving it the finger, not looking to see if anyone would notice :joy:

25 Likes

And everyday the store workers going " There goes that crazy bitch again" :rofl:

11 Likes

I’ve been obsessed with Janet Jackson and a fan of her since I was 8 years old I still am. so to stay sober every time I wanted to drink I would work out back then and tell myself I was going to look like Janet, LOL. I don’t look like Janet but I’m in pretty good shape for 44. You got to do what you have to do to beat that liquid devil :joy:

16 Likes

Any time any place :wink:

5 Likes

Too funny lol :rofl::rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

Yes any time anyplace to work out and avoid alcohol :joy:

6 Likes

Oh man! I remember this one time I even tried not drinking.
That was fucking crazy.

18 Likes

Bit extreme :face_with_peeking_eye:

7 Likes

Didn’t drink. It quickly became my new normal. I liked it. Missed the taste of some of the alcohol but didn’t miss me the drinker or me drinking.
Editing to add that prior to stopping drinking I absolutely could not have imagined my day or life without drinking being a big part of it. Things change.

11 Likes

I didn’t scream in a open field but do like that idea. I did scream at home when i was alone and punched the air / pillows the heavy bag.
I did avoid grocery stores and went to Sams to fill up on gas so that i would not have to go into gas stations. Had all the alcohol moved to the garage so that i would not be tempted.

13 Likes

I stopped going through my neighbours bottle bins and collecting the dregs from the bottle’s so I’d have something to drink :rofl: (yes I know I’m gross,my alcoholism took me to some dark places) :v:t2::heart:

14 Likes

On a serious note I avoided the corner shop and drinks isle of the supermarket for my first year of sobriety when i did go down the alcohol isle after a year i had instant withdrawal symptoms (sweats,shakes,cramps)

11 Likes

One man’s rubbish is another man’s treasure :rofl:

6 Likes

Nope sorry… I would have moved into the garage.

8 Likes

Nothing really odd, but at the beginning I wasn’t very confident, I still accepted the glass, then I said cheers with everyone, then poured the drink in the garden (or just leave the glass somewhere) when noone was watching.

I also poured A LOT of wine in the sink. I mean, it’s my family’s wine, very fancy expensive wine, I had plenty of it back then…
Sorry to my brother for the waste :sweat_smile:

13 Likes

Yep and then the next day I would buy it again. Buy 4 cans drink 1 pour 3 repeat. That’s another thing as well, only buy 4 cans bc that’s all I was going to drink today then about 2 hours later going back to the shop to buy shit loads and lie to the shop assistant that I’ve got friends over and they drink all my drink. As if she cares :roll_eyes:

11 Likes