Off the Wagonnnn

So in the last couple weeks I’ve been heavily drinking again and yesterday I drank so much that the entire day today I felt like I was going to die from anxiety, and other random pains. I just want this to stop and this made me want to quit entirely in a serious way. Is there anyway to get these feelings to subside in the mean time? I need to get back on track and I want to be happy again. Alcohol just isn’t for me anymore.

7 Likes

It looks like you were here a few months back. I’m glad you came back. Alcohol is seriously shit. What are your plans for getting and staying sober?

2 Likes

It’s tough. My experience was 5 days before the initial anxiety and depression began to subside, it was crippling and terrifying. However, it was a necessary pain I had to endure to finally realize I was going to die if I did not get sober. It sucks and it just doesn’t quit, especially in the first week (in my case). What helped me was going back to AA, reuniting with my sponsor, and doing everything to get myself out of the way and listen to those who have been through it and are now sober. You did the right thing reaching out on here. Reaching out and putting your feelings, fears, etc on here and talking to a trusted friend is a big key. Keeping these things inside will only lead to more misery. Hang tough and keep reading and posting on here. We will be here to help and listen. May you find some peace today

4 Likes

Getting out of a toxic relationship where alcohol was around all the time and surrounding myself with supportive people. I didn’t have that last time but this time I do. And this time I need to do it for me.

2 Likes

Thank you. It helps that someone else knows the feelings I’m talking about because it’s so bad that I have cried and panicked so many times today.

2 Likes

Welcome back Anastaysia :innocent: :wave:t2:

The thing to do is to take the advice you were given when you first got here in February: stay active and reach out for help. That includes joining some type of program, like www.AA.org or another similar program; there are also online options at www.InTheRooms.com and Online meeting resources.

You need to go after sobriety with just as much effort as you went after drinking. Do it one day at a time and stick with it. Go to meetings, check in there (and here too! Checking in daily to maintain focus #46), and learn about yourself. Challenge yourself and “lean in” to your discomfort, instead of numbing with alcohol.

Welcome back! Don’t give up. Go after what you want. You want to be sober? Go get it. Go after it like a person looking for water in the desert. Focus :muscle:t2:

4 Likes

I understand. I cried, paced around my place, couldn’t sleep, almost had panic attacks and was so mentally, emotionally, physically, and spirituality destroyed I thought I was going to die or go insane. But I didn’t, and neither will you. You’re back on the right track. Keep talking, posting, reading, and if you are spiritual pray. Most importantly, do not drink. Try to drink water and eat something if you can. I had a hard time in those early days eating and hydrating…do your best.

3 Likes

This is what I needed to hear today. Well said!
Listen to those who have been through it and open your mind and eyes so you can get out of your own way.

Don’t pick up today, lay your head down sober at night and repeat the next day. After a bit that becomes your new habit. Get it! :heart:

3 Likes

Its great your back, this time will pass and these feelings are temporary if you do not pick up a drink.
Meetings definitely can help so much, they are powerfull listening to others experiences.
I understand getting to a face to face meeting when you feel like this is a tough one, if you really cant there is this one online its 24 hours day and night, you can join with you audio and camera off and just listen to other stories, no one will know your there unless you want to share your experience and click the hand button.
It’s on zoom it’s called the 24hr marathon meeting. There is no password but the code is : 2923712604
You see people on there at work, sleeping, cleaning, cooking, sitting everyone is just listening and getting through together.
I lived on this meeting most of the day and fell asleep to it at night until I found here.
Now I go to face to face meetings and the online one.
So glad to have you back, stick with us :hugs:

5 Likes

Just know that you’re a complex bag of chemicals and that things are out of whack at the moment. Many of us have felt the way you are feeling right now. I know I have. The instant you finish a drink, your body starts the arduous process of trying to get back to equilibrium, and every time you take another drink, you go back to square one. Just let it get on with it without any resets. Trust that you will get to where you want to be, but it might take a bit of time.

4 Likes

Just keep trying to get sober. What happened to me was I really wanted to get sober but couldn’t and then at a meeting the urge was removed mysteriously. That doesn’t happen to everyone but if you can get sober the urge to drink will diminish over time and then you’ll find happiness

1 Like

If I could love this statement one million times I would. Well said! :clap:t3:

1 Like