Officially 7 yrs

It is officially 7 yrs since my last drink, my last suicide attempt. I am caregiver for a 6 yr old autistic child, and my husband has had a complete and total knee replacement surgery, 2 weeks ago. A friend has 2 girls, (one bio his, and one not) die from suicide, and one from a drug overdose. I look at him, and think about where I was 9 yrs ago while going through my divorce, and if it wasn’t for my husband, who’s been sober over 30, almost 35 yrs, I probably would be 6 ft under, or dying cause of cyrosis of the liver. My dad’s dad died in 1974 before I was even born, died from cyrosis of the liver. My dad’s dad was an alcoholic during prohibition. My dad was a social drinker, and then when I turned 21, I became a social drinker. I was told that since I have alcoholism running on my dad’s side of the family, plus have bipolar depression with psychosis, ptsd, and a personality disorder, I am prime candidate for becoming an alcoholic. I didn’t believe it, till I went through my divorce. I also noticed when my anxiety goes through the roof, is when I want one too. I have gotten to the point, where when I know I’m coming into a stressful situation, and I know I start thinking about alcohol, I start praying to God, work on my beading, and crank up my Christian music. God is good all the time!

26 Likes

Congratulations! Thank you for sharing.

This is a really good share, thank you. You are my inspiration, congratulations on 7 years :ok_hand::pray:t2::two_hearts:

Congratulations on reworking family patterns and your 7 years of sobriety!!!

1 Like

Congratulations !! :tada: A lot to be proud of.

You are so welcome!

Thank you! It’s been hard, but so worth it!

1 Like

Thank you. This brightened my day. The longest I’ve ever made it is 6 months and I’m on day 11 this go round. This shows that there is a way as long as we look for it and work for it. Congratulations and keep shining :blush:

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your story Liz! :heart: congratulations :blush:

Seven years sober! You are definitely an inspiration to me! Congratulations! :partying_face:

I’m also a caregiver to an autistic child, and there’s no way we can be there for them without being sober. That in itself speaks volumes of your strength. You are a beautiful soul. :purple_heart:

1 Like

Congratulations on 7 years and thank you for sharing

2 Likes

Congratulations!! :tada: :tada:

1 Like

What a story. Thank you for sharing and congratulations!

1 Like

Amazing victories in your life. Lucky 7! But it isn’t about luck, I suppose. You have worked hard I’m sure. You inspire!

1 Like

You’ve got this! Just find something that helps you through it. Figure out those triggers. If tv shows trigger it, play music. If certain songs trigger it, don’t play them. Go for a walk. Even if it’s a block, do it!

Thank you! My son knows when I don’t go to aa meetings. The aa meetings have been the best for me!

1 Like

Congratulations on your 7 years! It’s a HUGE achievement!
Thank you for sharing!

1 Like