Ok I'm becoming an alcoholic and it's time to stop

I woke up this morning hungover next to my wife and baby boy before going to school. I failed an exam today because I couldn’t remember the answer through the headache. I never failed an exam before.

I never thought I had a drinking problem before either.

But there’s an empty bottle on the kitchen counter, a 7/8 empty bottle on top of the fridge and a half empty bottle of stuff I don’t even like next to it.10 cans of awful cheap beer in the fridge that started as a 24 pack. I remember trying to figure out a mixer for the vodka while taking a pull off the bottle and holding my son.

Holy shit. This isn’t me. I’m out of control. I can’t control anything.

I’m starting today. I’m telling my best friend and wife. This app will be my journal.

34 Likes

glad youre here! theres lots of good support and suggestions here to help you get a solid recovery going. “your bottoms where you stop digging” :slight_smile: heres a thread w a lot of good info Resources for our recovery

7 Likes

Welcome. Sounds like you are ready for a change. It indeed sounds like your drinking is a problem for you. I hope you stick around and find the strength to address this.

3 Likes

This place has helped me more then I ever thought possible. Through out my day even at work I make time to come back read and study things in my life. Anyways glad your here.
You’re in the right place!
Stay strong!

2 Likes

Glad your trying to move forward! I’m in the same situation. So hard to start recovery. Do your utmost to take care of your health and drink plenty of water. Rest when you CAN. Hang in there

1 Like

You mentioned rest. Three days sober and I’ve never wanted a drink more. I’ve had a stressful day, last night was majorly stressful at work. I’l don’t remember being as tried or frustrated as I am now.

Keep it up tho man, it’s takes about ten days for alcohol to leave you’re system. The first 3 to 4 will be the toughest. You can do this, it will be so worth it. Keep checking in, and now would be a good time to start getting some exercises in to clear you’re mind. Start with some push ups. Go for lil walks.

3 Likes

Dude I’m so grumpy today. Like everything is making me angry. I went for a walk earlier. I like to work out, lift and do yoga and such. I think I will go to the gym when I get back from the store. Thanks for the idea.

2 Likes

This is all normal. It won’t last forever, I promise! We just have to claw through in the beginning. Hang on tight and try to get some support. Try some type of meeting. AA has them all over the place at all different times. There are other types of meetings, but they aren’t as available and you probably need to get your ass in a chair right now.

3 Likes

You’re right. I live in a small area, I’m not sure there’s one near me. I am going to my therapist tomorrow at least.

3 Likes

I can almost guarantee you that there is one nearby. That’s why so many people go the AA route.

I’m so glad you will see your therapist tomorrow. Mine saves my life every time. Well, she gives me the safe place to save my own, but, semantics. :grin:

2 Likes

She’s helped me get through some hard stuff before. Helped me save myself from myself. I was pretty much on a ledge. I never really told her about drinking though

1 Like

I have my first appointment with a therapist next week,it’s something I’ve been aware may well help me since I,joined this place and read other people’s testimonials on how much they have helped them but something havnt looked in to until recently as there havnt been any significant, big issue causing events happen in my life. I certainly have issues though so figured it can’t hurt.
Do you really get a lot out of your sessions? I’m hoping that I can also. I have a hundred percent honesty with medical proffesionals policy that I think will be wise to use here. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really do, Gareth. It took me a while to open up with a therapist, but once I did I knew I could take on anything. Well, almost anything. My therapist is the core of my recovery, or rather the place where I can anchor my recovery. I work better in a one on one setting, in a place where I can focus on just me. Then when I walk our the door I am able to give myself back over to life. On lifes terms, of course.

Be patient. You need to become comfortable in the new setting with the new person. If the person you are seeing doesn’t click with you after a few sessions then I’d advise looking for another. The dynamic is the same as with any relationship, sometimes you just don’t click. That’s totally okay. But, definitely don’t judge based on the first 2 or 3 appointments. And, most importantly, go in willing to feel uncomfortable. That’s where the growth happens.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, I will go in with an open mind and hopefully they wiĺ be the right person for me. Thanks :slight_smile::slight_smile:

1 Like

You may have to go through a couple therapists honestly. It took me a few tries to find one I could honestly talk to. Leaving everything out, listening to their advise and trying the things they suggest. It took a lot of self processing for me

3 Likes

Thanks for letting me know,I’m in it for the long haul so I’m willing to do whatever it takes. Thanks :slight_smile::slight_smile:

3 Likes

Good! We can do this!

1 Like

Hopefully you are feeling better today! If it’s a different day for you. People who live in the future are weird. :laughing:

3 Likes

How’s your early morning Megan. Really early by the looks of it!

1 Like