“once an addict always an addict”

Hi everyone.
This phrase scares me alot . How you feel about it ?

7 Likes

In my opinion : unhelpful, damaging, incorrect nonsense

8 Likes

Don’t hate the addict, hate the addiction!

8 Likes

I guess addict here refers to the habit of being addicted , not to to addict him/herself

2 Likes

I agree with it. But you can replace a negative addiction for a positive one. Instead of drugs or alcohol it can be an addiction to living a positive life, expanding your inner growth, doing things that enrich you.

Many people that have been previous drug or alcohol addicts have turned into amazing authors, athletes, teachers and role models and absolutely excelled at it because they redirected their addictive mind and habits into something positive.

8 Likes

I will always be an alcoholic. Doesnt mean I have to drink. I hope I dont forget that. The day I think I am not an alcoholic will be my downfall.

14 Likes

A good percentage of the population is addicted to something…
It’s the poisonous addictions that are the most harmful…

A book collector is an addict who gets a thrill out of finding the 1st edition of a book.

Coin collectors are addicts who hunt for that unusual coin…

Are addictions consumed our whole world…

8 Likes

You can’t turn a pickle back into a cucumber.

I’ll be an alcoholic for rest of my life but I plan to be in recovery for as long. It doesn’t define me. Far from it.

What is your motivation in asking? Perhaps you’re a bit overwhelmed with what you perceive lies ahead of you? One day at a time, friend. You’ll struggle with more coping mechanisms you’ll take on, on your way to freedom. All us addicts do. Overeating, shopping, unhealthy amounts of exercise - there’s no end of things to abuse. But if you are dedicated to recovery and self-examination no doubt you’ll get through it the other side. It’s worth it if you work it. And what’s the other option, really? :wink:

12 Likes

My disease is in remission but I definitely still have it. And if I ever think I don’t I can go out and pick up a drink and see how it turns out.

10 Likes

My sentiments exactly :purple_heart::orange_heart::purple_heart:

the compulsion has left me for wanting to drink, but i know if i lift one then ill be back on the hamster wheel .doing the right things i can stay sober when i let self control me then im in for a brain fight all the ego and anger and fear and anxieties come back into play then ive no chance of winning so im a Alky and always will be .if you thing your cured your in for a shock keep on trucking

6 Likes

I disagree which is why I prefer the SMART RECOVERY approach to the AA message.

Just my personal opinion guys

3 Likes

Absolutely.
The first addict refers to a person throwing their live away chasing highs.
The second addict refers to someone who’s given up on the addiction, excels at life and has incredible self-knowledge, but still unable to have a healthy relationship with their doc. But in the end, they know they do not need their doc and are happier this way.

I don’t mind being the second one.

3 Likes

Fair enough.

Can I ask, if SMART doesn’t say people stay alcoholics, does that mean the program allows for possible moderation in the future?

2 Likes

It’s accurate, for me at least. There will never be a point in my life where I will be able to have just one drink or drink in moderation.

Unfortunately I know that to be true through hundreds of attempts at moderation that eventually almost ruined my life.

Basically, exactly what @Englishd said.

7 Likes

My dad at 52 was told by a psychiatrist that he was addicted to alcohol, same time he was told bt aa that he had a lifelong disease called alcoholism. He’d been drinking heavily (4-5 days every week, usually 4-6 pints a day plus occasional weekend wine) since early 20’s. He took great offence at what he had been told and said he would only drink once a fortnight. He did exactly that. He is 71 now and for the last 19 years he has drunk 2 pints every other Thursday at his pub quiz night. Rare and unusual example I agree. Does show that ‘addicts’ with damaging levels of intake can moderate if they of that kind of mind and are strong.

6 Likes

Personally, I identify more as someone with an addictive personality than an addict. Addict feels like it refers to one specific issue and for me, my addictions have been far ranging and changing over time. Until I began truly working on the why of my compulsion to fixate and abuse any given substance, I would simply go from abusing one substance (nicotine or cocaine for example) to another (alcohol, sugar, sleeping pills, etc).

Will I always have addictive tendencies? I guess that depends on how much I work my recovery. Still very much a work in progress. I am definitely not being led around by my addictive tendencies anymore and that is a plus.

8 Likes

SMART is “abstinence-oriented.” The end goal is for complete abstinence. It uses REBT, focusing on channeling destructive behaviors into positive ones. So, “allows” for? I guess in the same way here that we accept it happens and tell people to keep using the tools to move forward.

I really like the approach. I have never FULLY worked on the activities and exercises until now - So, I will let you know how that works out.

3 Likes

I can relate to this. My addictive tendencies have gone beyond substances and started in my youth with being addicted to getting straight As and being praised by teachers and my parents for how “smart” I was. Seems innocuous, right? But my addiction to the external reinforcement led to low self esteem and a lack of sense of self beyond the superficial. I started drinking for a lot of different reasons that seemed innocent enough, but I was primed to become addicted to the escape and numbing that alcohol gave to me. Since I’ve left the binging behind I’ve had to be very attuned to myself and my addictive tendencies like starting new crafting projects (but not finishing anything), acquiring things (buying stuff for my kitchen or whatever the theme of the day was) and lately addicted to buying stuff on Amazon. This is more about the “high” of something new. Working on that. But I do believe I will have those addictive tendencies for the foreseeable future and will keep working on my recovery to find comfort in routine and ritual and to find peace within myself.

4 Likes

Me, too - with all of that! :arrow_double_up: :arrow_double_up: :arrow_double_up: :arrow_double_up:

1 Like