Other people bothered by your recovery?

The first month or so that I was sober, it was 50/50 with my boyfriend. Half the time he would tell me he was proud of me and so happy that I was doing well. The other half, he would go to the store and bring home my favorite drinks & beg me to drink with him, or yell at me that I’m being “fake” and AA is “fake”. He is a heavy drinker so I know that had a lot to do with it. Now he’s complacent but he makes it pretty clear that he doesn’t approve. Yesterday he asked me if I was ever going to drink again, and when I told him the point was to do my best not to, he just laughed and shook his head. I think my recovery is forcing him to look at his behaviors differently, so if he can convince me to start drinking again he won’t feel as guilty or unhealthy. At least I didn’t go into this thinking it would be easy!

6 Likes

2 Likes

Couldn’t have said it better myself. Ain’t no one’s business!

3 Likes

I suppose that that’s one of the good things about having no one in my life.
My siblings are on the other side of the world so we don’t see each other much, and I don’t have any friends here, so no one to feel bothered / threatened by me trying to be sober.
Not an ideal situation, but who cares.

3 Likes

Hahaha classic! :joy:🤦
So badass how you completely outsobered his suggestion to take a break! Yass!

2 Likes

Oh man Paul, this is rough your madam is so set against whatever can help you live a sober life. Can’t imagine how hard it must be. I have received nothing but support from my man but can also really relate to what @Blondie1x has described, it does frighten him a bit what I expect now of our partnership, that we are a better team, have more emotional closeness and intimacy. He wants this too, now, but it’s been a struggle for him to admit these things were amiss and that he also played a part in that fact. We are in the same boat now but the sea is rough at times.
I’m very happy to hear you’ve taken your recovery to a new level and have got a sponsor, @Dolse71, you absolutely deserve to get out of a life that doesn’t suit you anymore. Keep on going so strong! :muscle:

4 Likes

keep reading bc things are getting better :grin:

1 Like

I haven’t had anyone be against my sobriety. My ex definitely didn’t support it in the way where he was always asking me to drink with him even after saying over and over I never want to drink again. But once I fully decided to go through with it and never give in, he stopped asking. Actually I think I told him flat out “don’t ever ask me if I want a drink ever again”. I think it was kinda stern but by that point he was crossing my boundaries so I needed to stick up for myself.

My family and friends are good with it. The only other person that always asks me to get a drink is my old boss. And I tell him every time, I don’t drink.

If someone doesn’t support my sobriety, I don’t need them in my life. That’s my preference though. I know it’s not as easy or possible for others to just cut people out of their lives.

6 Likes

My brother is still an active user of all different kinds of drugs, and i know he resents my sobriety. We are in a situation where we have to live together with my parents… Honestly it is a nerve-wracking nightmare half the time, sometimes I wonder how I’m going to get through it. All I can do is pray.

2 Likes

I think that people in our close circles need time to process this change. When I stopped drinking I made many behavioral changes. This includes new activities to keep me sober and I entered a process of rediscovery of myself. This meant a lot of time dedicated to analyzing my past behavior, keeping me in check.

My close circle knows the old me, where alcohol played a crucial role. My partner, who’s suffered from my addiction the most, didn’t believe I was going to stop drinking. I’ve realized this is OK. She told me she wasn’t going to change her behavior with alcohol - unless I kept it up and then she’d consider. She’s the type that has 3-4 beers and falls asleep, but she usually controls her intake. After 1 month of no drinking, she told me it wasn’t fun to go out to a bar anymore if I wasn’t going to drink - she didn’t want to drink alone. She had a friend over one night and they drank a lot. She’s a work colleague but also a person I used to drink a lot with. I came home from working out to what would usually mean a bender for me. I was with them for 30 min and excused myself to go to sleep. The next day I was furious for having to see them drunk and realized this was not OK. She asked my permission to do this beforehand and I accepted to it. We talked about it and I explained I hadn’t realized this would bother me so much - I was not cool with destructive drinking in my home.
Two months and a half sober and my partner has now changed her relationship with alcohol. She’s decided to stop drinking (for some time). I didn’t encourage her to do anything, but she does listen to me go on about how bad alcohol is for your body :sweat_smile:

I think she didn’t believe me when I told her I would change my behavior with alcohol. I lied so many times while drinking (I only drank 1 beer, let’s go out for 1 beer, etc) and I tried to stop drinking in the past (fueled by her), that I think she didn’t believe it or didn’t want to go through the disappointment. She has been supportive and has encouraged me to remain sober although she’s had a few snarky comments. They bothered me and I would communicate and ask to talk about it because it’s important to say what you think is OK and is not Ok, especially when you’re undergoing massive changes - and when you’re starting to deal with your emotions and feelings instead of drinking.

My advice here is to speak your mind and to remind people that this is a challenge for you and that you’re trying your best to make a change in your lifestyle because you’re trying to be better. When you’re honest and you address these comments/behaviors, people tend to understand. It is your job to tell them what your new boundaries are and it is also your job to put your sobriety first. Usually when you explain why you’re sober, people understand, especially if it comes from a well thought out answer. But it is also ok to not have to share your vulnerability.

Don’t get discouraged, stay sober, and talk about how certain actions/comments make you feel. This will strengthen your bond and will lead to more open conversations.

2 Likes

what a beautiful word! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes