Our quitting of cigarettes thread

5 days off nicotine, cold turkey. No lozenges, no gum, no patch. I went all 12 steps on this bullshit and asked God for help.

6 Likes

To everyone who has stopped or who is stopping well done it’s hard. I used to smoke until 3 years ago when I took my dad to the hospital for a scan, they admitted him that day, he was diagnosed with lung cancer and died within a month he never got to come home and was only 60, my dad smoked heavily. It was a waste of money and a waste of life.

1 Like

Well done Bro. It took me a bit to realize that I had a program that helped me quit drinking. So why was I not using it to quit smoking ? :thinking:

2 Likes

Yeah Shay finally convinced me to stop fuckin around and use the program lol. I really haven’t even had an urge. Last nicotine was Friday.

1 Like

So is today the first fully nicotine free day? Sounds like you’ve been making good progress, keep it going!

Yes today is the day :grimacing::grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

I got the reminder on my phone yesterday that I am one year free from cigarettes. I am still vaping but it does feel like progress.

2 Likes

I see that no one has posted here for a bit. I decided to jump on the quit smoking bandwagon. I only smoke about 5 cigarettes a day. 1/4 pack. I have smoked like that for years. I have been agitated with my lack of life progress. I feel like I am in a stall. So, when I ran out yesterday, I said, “I quit. If I don’t have them, I won’t smoke them.” Much like drinking, it is less of a physical addiction than a mental one, so here I go.

5 Likes

I was just wondering how y’all are doing in here.

Including you, @Gabe.G, wherever you are!

I quit smoking cigarettes two days after alcohol. Today is day 80 (cigarettes). However I have a vape/e-cigarette which I use a lot! I know there isn’t much prolonged research into them, but I feel it is staining my teeth, just like a fag. My throat, chest and nostrils are dry. I regularly get scabs in my nostril from it even though I try breathing through my mouth. If it’s doing that to my nose God knows what it’s doing to my lungs! Most days I wake up I promise myself I’m not vaping today, but within an hour it’s stuck to my lips! Nicotine is the last thing I want to beat :tired_face:

I found when I was vaping it led me back to smoking at some point. Although I have also quit completely and ended up smoking again… It always started with smoking while drunk so am hoping this time it will stick!

@EarnIt good for you :pray: I am now 7 months 1 day cigarette/vape free and 5 months 18 days nicotine free - I used patches as for me the nicotine addiction felt pretty physical!

The best thing about not smoking/vaping is not having my day and actions structured around it. I read the Allen Carr book after stopping and it helped, especially the realisation that if I had just one smoke it would cause cravings, rather than relieve them. Combined with not drinking I have also noticed my bank balance is much healthier, although I have found other things to spend the money on :face_with_hand_over_mouth: it doesn’t feel like it is being wasted.

4 Likes

Im joining this thread now. Ill have to quit cigs within couple of months. So i start my mental preparing

2 Likes

Day 4 no cigarettes. Started smoking a few each day when i stopped drinking 8ish months ago. No sense in continuing to smoke. Done.

3 Likes

Im 2 days on lozengers the food cravings are real n sleep disturbed but not terrible…

I’m glad this thread is back up…I stopped reading it when I started relapsing (smoking again). Im trying to make an effort to get back reading it now. I’m happy to say that today is day 35 of being smoke free. I’m going through a break up with the subsequent feelings of sadness and questioning being alone forever etc… I’m pretty happy that drinking and using doesn’t register in my brain as an option anymore…but in those stressful moments the thought of smoking has crept in. I’ve been calmly reminding myself that there is no longer any nicotine in my system…and that smoking even just once will put that nasty addictive substance back in my body. There is nothing but pain and addiction in that cigarette so, I’m steering clear. I hope you’re all fighting the good fight today. Thanks for listening❤️

5 Likes

Try reading Allen Carr’s book The Easy Way to Quit Smoking. This book is amazing and a miracle worker :slight_smile:

FML … My ADHD is so bad i can hardly read a page in a book without 50 other things random in my mind… Maybe an audio version is avalible?

1 Like
2 Likes

I have a love hate relationship with vaping. I smoked since I was 13. I switched to vaping 5 years ago because I was unemployed and I didn’t want to smell like smoke during interviews. I vaped from 2014 to 2018, during that time I never thought of myself as a non-smoker because I was still addicted to nicotine. Also, I’d easily fall back to smoking if I was out of battery or out partying.

I loved vaping because I could be discreet, which meant I could do it anywhere, airplanes, restrooms, in my office.

I hated it because it still delivered nicotine, and because I could be discreet, I was vaping the equivalent of 2 packs a day. The habit itself grew more intense, more than smoking ever did. I’d hit the vape every chance I got, all day long. I don’t think I could go 30 minutes with out hitting it. It became an obsession. It was out of hand.

I decided to quit nicotine and alcohol together, once and for all. I’ve quit either or before. Quit smoking, but crave when you drink, when you drink your inhibitions are lowered and you smoke.

Smoking makes me want to drink and the vicious cycle continues.

I felt the only way to be successful was to go all in, cold turkey. So that’s what I did. Fucking shit was it hard! The first 3 days I was shaking so bad I couldn’t write, my head so foggy I couldn’t drive, and so on edge I couldn’t talk. Every fiber of my being begged for just one beer and smoke, but I resisted. I took it minute by minute, hour by hour and clawed my way through the first week. Then after that I took it day by day and one week turned into two weeks, then three, then a month. Now 6 months free from nicotines grip (and alcohol).

I never thought I’d ever quit, especially cold turkey, so If I can do it, anyone can.

3 Likes

Hi everyone, I’ve not had chance to read through this thread because I’ve just seen it and I need to get my day started. I’ve smoked for 31 years; I drank solidly for 20. I’m 84 days sober from alcohol and now I know I need to stop smoking. I’m genuinely worrying about whether that will threaten my progress off alcohol but also aware that that might also be an excuse I’m giving myself. I would welcome your thoughts on this: is it best to wait until I’m a bit further on in my recovery or should I just hit the nail on the head - does it not make any difference when you do it?

3 Likes