Overwhelming sadness

No clue what’s going on tonight. I’ve had a great weekend. Spent two day in a row hanging out with all three of my kids. My ex wife was even there both times. We were married for twelve years and have now been apart for almost 10. We finally have a great friendship which I’m so grateful for. Regardless of what happened with us we will always love and care for each other. So as I said, it’s been a really nice weekend. Tonight out of nowhere I got smacked with a feeling of sadness. I have no idea why but I just wanted to cry. I drowned these feelings for years and I know being new in sobriety we have many ups and downs. I just wasn’t prepared for this. Hope it goes away. As much fun as I had this weekend it did make me a bit lonely. Part of it, I guess.

19 Likes

Hey, I can completely understand this feeling. I’ve been there myself. If you’ve been avoiding these feelings then I can see why to you they suddenly appeared, but my guess is that because you haven’t dealt with them they have always been there just below the surface. I wish I could say something more to help you; to chase away the sadness. I’ll keep you in my prayers. Stay strong. It will pass. We are here whenever you need us.

8 Likes

So sorry these feelings have shown their face. Sounds like you did have an amazing weekend with your kiddos. Just keep that head held high my friend. Maybe get lost in a movie or a funny show. Hot chocolate and marshmallows always help me out at night.

6 Likes

Sometimes when we have emotional highs, like a great weekend with your kids, then our emotions can tank afterward. Especially newly sober (honestly, it sometimes happens to me even with 6+ months). Emotion regulation is partly chemical in our brains, and those chemicals have been out of whack for so long! I can only speak for myself, but practicing gratitude is what helps me the most when I’m having down feelings, especially after an emotionally charged or “high” time. The research shows that by making a short list of things you’re grateful for and then choosing one or two to write about more in depth, exploring why you’re grateful, really helps to turn the happy chemicals in your brain on, as well as strengthen those neural pathways toward positivity. Ultimately, for me, I have to accept that sad feelings are natural and if I can sit with them, be curious about where they’re coming from and sort of detach from the feeling a bit, it helps me understand myself a bit more. It’s that idea of sitting with discomfort. Hope I haven’t rambled too much, I can relate to what you’re describing and just want you to know you’re not alone. Hang in there. Sometimes a sleep and starting fresh tomorrow is the best remedy. :heartpulse:

7 Likes

This is common in my experience. I also can go from great to crap in a split second. The good news is that you caught it. You know it’s happening. Talk to a sponsor or close friend. Play a mindless game on your phone. This too shall pass :heart:

5 Likes

This still happens to me after a year and a half of sobriety. I numbed those feelings for so long that I found it difficult dealing with them early on. Unfortunately, there’s no way around them so I have to go through them. I usually sit and allow myself to have a good cry or I take a walk and think about my gratitude list.

6 Likes

I like to listen to sound wave music like theta sound waves. it’s pretty helpful if you do it be aware of your breathing. in your mind say in and out while you inhale and exhale.

Do that for 20 minutes with ear buds, I feel completely at ease. It washes my worries/ pains and sorrow away. When you do this you need to believe in it. don’t tell yourself it’s silly or stupid take it seriously. Remember you don’t deserve to feel sad brother you deserve to be happy. Happiness is a choice to choose to be happy.

You drown not by falling into a river but by staying submerged in it.

4 Likes

Exactly I used to tell my self the same. Don’t worry things will get better but they didn’t. eventually I stopped I gave up on my self long ago. I’m human we take the the easy way its only natural.

Being your worst is easy but it’s painful and the WRONG WAY
Being your best is hard it takes a lot of effort courage and drive. Do not forget it is the hard way that is the right the path to take. As they say Nothing worth having will be is easy to get/obtain.

2 Likes

That one of my favorites Good Luck!

1 Like

Jon, hope you had a restful night. Let us know how you’re doing today @Inneed

2 Likes

Still don’t know what’s going on with me. Just can’t seems to shake this feeling. Being alone, having trouble dealing with life right now. A drink won’t fix anything. I just want to be ok

5 Likes

Pangs of Sadness enveloped my mind from time to time during the first half of my Sobriety. Though I was with my now, wife (we were dating at the time), I thought of my ex wife and how I just fucked that shit up so bad. Drinking on the weekends, using blow (even though she never knew) and just paying attention to just IDIOTIC people rather than her and her needs.

Like what @Fargesia_murielae said though, you must accept your Sadness for what it is. I realized this after a while after reflecting on my own Sadness and grew to accept it. I wouldn’t have became Sober if everything that happened, didn’t happen. Who knows where or what situation I would be in? I was living a lie… A Fantasy World. Most of the people that I knew and still know are STILL living in that Fantasy World.

I’m not Fooling anyone now because I’m not Fooling myself, anymore and whenever that Pang of Sadness is around the corner, I remind myself that that’s not who I am any more. That part of me, died the day I decided to become Sober and Live a more Meaningful and Happier life and I make sure every day that I spread that Happiness to those around me, every day.

It’s Okay to be Sad, my Brother. We’ve all been there and are still there at times.

4 Likes

First off, BIG HUGS to you. Im SO sorry you are feeling so incredibly sad right now. I’ve dealt with this too from time to time (to be honest, way too often) and it is sometimes very difficult to turn oneself around. Not long ago hubby and I had a great weekend for only things to hit the fan and go from euphoria to hell in about 5 minutes Monday morning. I went to bed on cloud 9 and woke up in a dismal mood. It sucked. We are working on communicating better in hopes to avoid such high highs and low lows.

Anyway, I know its hard to pull yourself up in these times and to get to thinking of all the good and positive things that do surround you. But this feeling will pass.

3 Likes

All of you are amazing. Thank you for making me feel not so alone

5 Likes

We are here for you whenever you might need us! Keep your chin up!

3 Likes

And old thread, but I feel extremely sad right now. It came from nowhere and I’m aware it has to do something with numbing my feelings for years and years with alcohol and drugs. But I feel so lost and hopeless now, although I’ve had a good day so far. Day 20, an early recovery and shit like this crawls into my mind. Oh well, gotta just grind it through. I hope you all are having a better day!

3 Likes

Oh I’ve had that feeling, many times.

My theory…… (and it’s a very uneducated theory :joy:)

We spent so many years avoiding our feelings with substances. But the feelings didn’t go away. So when we stop using those substances all those feelings come out. You have years of feelings that are going to surface at really odd times. But overtime as they get out it will happen less often. I still get it after 5 years but rarely!!

It’s okay. Just let them come. They WILL pass.

YOU CAN DO IT

3 Likes

Thank you! You are absolutely right. Damn, I had such a good day and suddenly out of nowhere came sadness, fear, shame and guilt. Like you wisely said, they surfaced at really odd time. I hope tomorrow will be better day.

3 Likes

Coming up on 22 months sober those feelings still hit me at random times. Sometimes I will put them on paper and try to figure out where they’re coming from. Or I will redirect myself and do an activity. It’s tough early on because we could easily numb it out with booze so the feelings are are new and overwhelming. Hope it passes quickly for ya.

3 Likes

Thank you! Writing them down sounds like a good idea, thanks. And yeah, staying active truly helps. I already did a long run today plus a walk to the groceries, reading etc. but suddenly out of nowhere boom and here we go…

And congrats for being sober 22 months, that’s so awesome!

2 Likes