People in Recovery and Plants! (Part 1)

There was a local plant shop here (indoor place) that I had thought about checking out, until I was advised that the owners were total scumbags. Being indoors, I didn’t figure they’d have much that I was interested in anyhow. Never went. The most specific info I had was that they were “difficult” and “crazy”.

Come to find out recently that they have permanently closed.

Looked into why, and yeah – turns out they are major scumbags. Not only did they routinely make disparaging remarks/comments about the community (particularly the homeless), along with (from what I read) treating their customers like morons – but apparently there as a woman in the community who had come on hard times and struck a deal with said business owners to sell off her plant collection, valued at $9,000 (!!), and split the profits 50/50.
Apparently the business owners gave her one check for $500, and nothing more. This is described in countless reviews from dozens of different people across multiple platforms, so I am inclined to believe it. The chorus of dreadful reviews and bad publicity seems to be what sunk 'em.

I do love it when karma bites someone in the ass.

Side note - I really would love to see what $9k worth of plants looks like.

3 Likes

Some bonsai are worth over a million!

1 Like

Here is just one that auctioned off last week.

That is deplorable what they did to that poor woman, good to know they got their karma.

3 Likes

Damn. I’m hesitant to buy even larger lithops clusters that go for just $50+, lest I kill them.

1 Like

Another photo from yesterday with the shade down, but after the sun was no longer hitting directly. About 530pm. The colors were REALLY coming out. Much better photo.

14 Likes

That’s the whole thing right there, I think. I would hope whoever bought that plant doesn’t miss the money spent on it if it dies or reverts (most likely). The most I have spent on one plant so far is $200 and I will be upset if it dies but it won’t ruin me, you know? I plan on saying that to my customers too, “don’t spend whatever amount on a plant that you’re not comfortable losing” but after that, I’m not there to judge and hope they buy the expensive ones. Lol

3 Likes

My favorite little succulent

Looks like she has a little flower on the way too!

14 Likes

Couple of my other babies

13 Likes

Succulents come to my house to die. I had to stop trying. Maybe I’ll try again someday especially now that I use grow lights. Northern Iowa in winter is a challenge!

2 Likes

One thingI learned with these exact succulents…you can have them in a window with full sun but it still won’t be enough in a temperate climate. That first one that looks all stacked was growing with half an inch between the stacks when it was inside (but in a window with full sun) because the window filters light too. Once I put them outside they all grew back together and started putting out crazy growth. I’ve always found them to be easy but that’s because I basically ignore them for at least a month at a time. Lol

Grow lights would definitely help in winter, and then you can move them outside for the whole summer!

2 Likes

I know people here grow them easily outside in summer, so that gives me hope! Sounds like I outta try again later this year :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

The little pinkish one is adorable.

1 Like

I know right?? Her leaves are so chubby and cute!

1 Like

Mhm I sort of want to bite them. Probably wouldn’t survive in my house, I have some issues with impulsively :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Long time lurker of this thread. I’ve been waiting for my orchid to bloom and it did today :purple_heart: just wanted to share :sunny:

15 Likes

Wow SO pretty!!! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

…show off

15 Likes

@Its_me_Stella I’d wager you only want to do that once and then your impulsivity would be cured! Lol But who knows, maybe they are delicious!

@TMAC right? With her perfectly spaced and lined up flowers!

@Callie99 so pretty!! I love orchids. The ones that smell like vanilla and chocolate always fascinated me.

3 Likes

My latest plant friend, a gift for Christmas. Seems to be happy where it is.

And this guy is happy as Larry on the window sill thanks to your top advice @RosaCanDo :raised_hands:

11 Likes

Oh great I have put my new jade on the sill too. :crossed_fingers:

Plants look great!!!

2 Likes