People in Recovery and Plants! (Part 1)

This is probably what has saved some of my plants. :laughing:

It really does seem counter intuitive, but at the same time I can definitely see how that would help with overwatering. :thinking:

2 Likes

Hello wee friend

9 Likes

Update on my favorite quirky and strange begonia. It’s growing sloooooowly but doing well!

8 Likes

I had a little photo shoot with some of my favourite plants the other day.

8 Likes

Trying out this trend of growing cuttings in lechuza pon. It will be an interesting (and not cheap!) experiment.

6 Likes

My variegated Hoya (not sure if it’s a krimson Queen or pink Princess or what) got a new pot and a shower today, looking shiny and fresh!

8 Likes

Almost finished with my repotting project! Finished for today. Dragon tail and two baby Hoyas got new pots, yay!

7 Likes

She got some owwies from the winter but she made it through :heart_eyes: I also just got some Sunflower seeds that I’m gonna plant in house for now until the spring officially hits. If anyone has any hints about sunflowers let me know :heart:

6 Likes

That little thing will grow into a monster if you care for it right and slowly keep putting it in bigger pots.

I did sunflowers one year, but I planted them outside. We have a lot of ants in the area and they were super attracted to them. I’ve never heard of them being planted inside. I’m not sure how well they’d do, but try to give them a place with a lot of sun, no drafts, and don’t overwater. Beyond that, I couldn’t say. Good luck! Be sure to share your progress!

3 Likes

One of my Madagascan Jewel babies.

8 Likes

Oooh so pretty

Lovely :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: one of those is on my wish list!

2 Likes

Purple and red beauties in a sunbath.

5 Likes

I’ve had this Lucky bamboo for so many years and I don’t know a lot about plants I’m not sure how to go about repotting it it looks like it might need it…or maybe not?

5 Likes

Definitely would benefit from a new pot when roots are coming through the drainage holes. Find a next size up pot (one where you can set the old pot in but not too much bigger). You can use a chopstick or something similar to loosen the soil from the sides (the roots might stick a bit to the sides, too) and slide it out of the pot. It’s okay if there is a little damage to the roots as you dislodge it. It looks super hearty and strong so it shouldn’t be a problem to repot! You might want to loosen the root ball, too, if it’s very compacted so the new soil can get worked in. Good luck!

2 Likes

Okay thank you so much! I honestly Love plants so much but I am not very good with them. I had a plant that I loved for so long and then it looked like it needed repotting so I did it and it died and I felt horrible. I don’t remember what kind of plant it was but I think I may have put it in too big of a pot and there was too much size difference. I will follow your advice and cross my fingers with this one I love this one so much.

1 Like

Bamboo plants are very sturdy so I hope you will have good luck. I’d say also to make sure to avoid drafts after replanting it. Keep us posted! :green_heart:

Okay I was just reading about also to use soil for succulents do you know anything about that?

Yes you will want soil that is well draining. You can buy premixed cacti and succulents potting soil. I think it tends to have less organic material that holds moisture and more sand and perlite or other things that let the water run through. I’d honestly be more concerned with what kind of soil it’s in now and trying to make it similar since it’s been so happy. But I’d follow the suggestions your finding. Mind you I’m not an expert and haven’t grown bamboo in a long time. I’m sure whatever you do will be just fine.

1 Like

And I realize now that I was kind of talking in circles there :sweat_smile: I guess I’d say give it a try and if there’s a nursery or plant shop you visit you can ask someone there about what supplies they have available, too.