People in Recovery and Plants!

Terracotta is absolutely cost effective. I used to love pretty glazed pots but they can be super pricey and don’t work as well for me. Plus I’ve broken my share of beloved pots over the years, so I’d like to avoid that in the future!

Your plants are keeping you busy!

1 Like

I got a really fancy teal one for that tephrocactus…bougie cactus needs a bougie pot/gravel. It’s the rules.

2 Likes

As it should be. Some plants deserve a pedestal, whether metaphorical or actual (or both!)

2 Likes

Hello, I cant believe I’ve just found this thread. 90mins read time. That’s my saturday night sorted either reading in the garden or in the greenhouse tomorrow. Anyone not like home grown tomatoes :tomato::tomato:?

5 Likes

Welcome! It’s one of my favorites :blush:

And if you haven’t seen this thread, it might be of interest, too!

Gardening in Recovery

3 Likes

Thank you ever so much. That’s Sunday taken care of. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Sorry, last one - only because I’m VERY proud of this one.

You might remember my lithops (the ones that look like butts). They just got monsoon’d on. Bad news. A soaking like that will kill them, so I had to repot in dry soil ASAP to try and save them.

Before:

Lo and behold, the roots were covered in mealy bug webbing. I fucking hate mealy bugs. Explains why 1 lithop died last week.
Treated the roots with alcohol. Never done it before. Never dealt with mealies until I moved to AZ and grew outdoors. Tedious repotting process, so small and hard to work with in the dirt. I didn’t really have a plan, either.

I am SO happy with how it turned out, especially just winging it. I can only hope the little guys survive the stress of the alcohol soak and repotting. :crossed_fingers:

6 Likes

Went to a plant show at a botanical garden today. Some absolutely gorgeous stuff. I got 2 new friends. There was some awesome deals that I’m kicking myself for not taking advantage of - but realistically I’m so tight on space for new plants.
Ran into Brad who works at my favorite plant store in town. I’m on friendly terms with everyone at that shop now, it’s neat to have people to geek out over cactus with. I also get to peek at inventory, sometimes, before it hits the floor - first dibs!

In the botanical garden portion, I took photos of some amazing cactus that I’ll post in the nature thread or somewhere.

“Bishop’s Cap” Astrophytum

And just as I am really falling in love with the stenocactus I already have, I spied this magnificent beauty - look at that pattern!! Damn nature, you wild.

11 Likes

That one looks really cool but also like it would prick me in a second! I enjoy all your plants. Thank you for sharing them! La Gordita is still my favorite. I hope she gives another flower one day.

1 Like

Holy shit!!! Look at her!!!

Hahaha omg I’m laughing so hard!

1 Like

Sharing my collection is something I love doing. You better believe anyone who visits my apartment for the first time gets a cactus tour.

La Gordita is great. So unexpected, random $5 Home Depot purchase. Didn’t know about the flowers at the time. She has grown a lot. More flowers will come, but probably not until next spring/summer at this point :slight_smile:

One of the new domino cactus I bought has FOUR flower buds on it when I bought it. All four of them died and fell off before anything happened :upside_down_face:

Edit: meant to say, that cactus can’t really stick you too bad. The needles are weak and small. Earlier this week though, I was careless and got myself BAD with another cactus and I have like 5 needles stuck under my skin on my thumb. They’ll get pushed out eventually but it’s not pleasant at the moment

5 Likes

Good to see you T! :innocent:

1 Like

I repotted my silver pothos and now she’s doing amazing… she is making babies mid leg!!!

7 Likes

I figured I ought to play along :grimacing::rofl::heartpulse::green_heart::heartpulse:

1 Like

Aw that’s so great! Yay!!!

1 Like

Yay!!! So happy you found us!!

You’ve seen all these in the past 2 days so bear with me but I got some (what I think are) great photos after the repotting.

I really think this stenocactus could grow into specimen quality if I care for it properly. Of course a bit of luck involved too. That blueish center is really special, along with the pattern of the ribs.

I wanted to wait longer before giving the lithops their first watering after their mealy bug treatment and subsequent repotting - but the soil I put them in was dust dry and loaded with rocks. They were looking kinda pale so I figured, go for it. I’m winging this whole thing anyhow based on stuff I thought I read once :sweat_smile:

They look so beautiful after a soak. I really hope that’s a good sign.

6 Likes

Really beautiful.

2 Likes

This beauty unfurled overnight…

9 Likes