People in Recovery and Plants! (Part 1)

That is such an amazing, organic-looking pot! It’s like moss is growing on it.
The plants looks lovely too.

1 Like

I’ve done some plant rearranging as a result of furniture rearranging. I like how things have turned out. They’re more spread out and in spaces or clusters in a few rooms now. I do want to put another ceiling hook up so some more changes will happen soon, but looking nice for now.

Living Room (used to be two loveseats, now two armchairs in the place of one with a little table in between. I love this in particular. And the table that was full of plants there has moved, with those plants relocated)

Library (loveseat moved in, plants did too)

My dressing room/craft room (a hook will go in the ceiling over the window, maybe one above where the plants are)

If anyone one remembers my chop and prop project with the EDIT pilea peperomides, there’s the end result. I’m happy with it. The individual leaf props failed, but the top chop of the lanky guy rooted very well in water. Back in the main pot it went.

18 Likes

15 Likes

I heard you were curious about my butts

Looks like at least 3 are birthing doubles :metal:

16 Likes

:clap:t3::potted_plant:🩷

4 Likes

I assume these are cacti :cactus: but what are they? I think I might have seen something like those in a green house in a botanical garden somewhere?

1 Like

These are succulents. Cactus are a subset of succulents, but these aren’t in that group. These are part of a smaller subset called mesembs, an abbreviation of a longer word which escapes me right now.

In particular, these are called lithops. Commonly referred to as living stones. There are literal hundreds, perhaps thousands, of unique cultivars of lithops. Like most of my favorite plants, they originate in southern Africa: Namibia, S. Africa, Botswana.

Wouldn’t surprise me if you had seen these or similar mesembs in a botanical greenhouse, they are quite popular in the hobby despite their reputation as fickle little punks.

4 Likes

3 of my orchids. The 4th one is still sleeping.

14 Likes

Happy little plant!

Oh, and T. I got myself a butt plant!!!

15 Likes

Really lovely ones, to butt! err…to boot.

Nice mixture of colors and textures.

3 Likes

So much credit to you. Those are lovely. I’ve never tried orchids but the reputation is that they’re temperamental things.
I have heard people often struggle with them here in AZ because of how dry the air is, hard to maintain the right humidity levels.

Could all be bullshit, lol. These are just anecdotes and I personally don’t know much about orchids or their care.

1 Like

Totally fascinating. What do they need as house plants? Can they thrive in my central european climate?

1 Like

Thank you very much cactus man.:cactus:I love your greenhouse.
It’s funny that you say all that. According to the experts and what I have read I treat my orchids like shit. Not on purpose. When I was gifted one years ago I had no idea how to care for it. I guess they just adapted to what I was doing. Can’t be that bad.

2 Likes

In that part of the world, they are better suited indoors under a small grow light. Europe is generally too wet to have them outside all the time, and too chilly in autumn/winter. Although they would probably appreciate being brought outside on warm, sunny days.

They hardly need any water at all (even here in the desert), probably less so if grown indoors/somewhere that the air has more moisture in it.

I have seen plenty of instances where people do really, really well growing them inside under a grow light - whether it’s full time or just indoors for winter.

3 Likes

Budwatch 2024
Progressing nicely. Usually when there’s multiples, one will eventually be aborted in favor of putting all the energy into one flower. Who knows, she might be THICC enough to support 2 these days.

11 Likes

Whenever I see your photos I feel like I’m the first person on the moon. So exciting! Do you live in a desert? What is the first one called?

3 Likes

I do, I live in southern Arizona (southwest US, just a bit above the border w. México).

The first one (first two, actually) are two different species of conophytum. They belong to that mesembs group as well, same as lithops :slight_smile:

1 Like

Butt… how do i keep them alive? Lol

2 Likes

Bright light (will probably need a grow light) and veeeeery little water. Like a splash of water every 2 weeks, if that

3 Likes

Gave them a little love today. I noticed a bloom trying to wilt already and that’s not supposed to happen yet. They got a bath and some good food.

14 Likes