People in Recovery and Plants!

Yup I’ve heard both names, too. I tend to call it a snake plant because I like my mother in law :rofl:

1 Like

Omg beautiful! I haven’t had much luck with flowering this year. Normally my hoyas flower but I transplanted them last year and I think they’re growing into their pots still. I’ve heard they flower best when root-bound. And they are pretty flowers but the scent gets a bit extreme for me at times!

1 Like

I keep killing my house plants. I don’t mean to! I like those hippie macrame hanging pots,with cascading plants.
What can I put in them that I wont kill? I either over water, under water, or they dont get enough sun. Thoughts?
So far I have killed a banana succulent, two ferns, and something else that I don’t know the name.

1 Like

Succulents and ferns are both a bit tricky, at least for me. The gold standard trailing plant that is hardy as heck is a pothos and it grows like crazy. You can neglect it and it will still do okay. Some varieties are trickier, but the kind you can find most places (not sure where you live though) like this one are easy:

Some Hoyas are super easy, too. Some people say English ivy is easy, but every time I’ve tried I’ve gotten spider mites, but that’s more about where I’ve bought them I think.

Oh! And Spider plants are great, easy trailing plants that make lots of babies you can start in water for new plants.

5 Likes

New butts emerge from old butts.

8 Likes

@TMAC nice butts! :joy::wink:

To add to what @RosaCanDo suggested, a Heart Leaf Philodendron (or Micans or Brazil) is also an easy trailing plant. They like to be root bound and only watered when the leaves start to curl (then you soak them).

One of the best lessons I learned was that over watering and under watering doesn’t have to do with the amount of water, it has to do with the frequency. If you water a plant a little bit everyday, the roots won’t get enough water so it will die. And you’ll get gnats. But if you put the same amount of water on that plant once a week or so, it will thrive.

2 Likes

Thank you for saying this about watering! I have had to learn this lesson the hard way and keep on learning it, too.

1 Like

Coincidentally saw this diagram the other day, think it helps illustrate your point.

Of course it depends on the specific plant, but for the most part.

images

AND REMEMBER

You can always add more water, you cannot take water back.

3 Likes

You are welcome! Is just not made clear really but once it was clearly stated to me it made a lot of sense.

Yes, exactly! This is why bottom watering is so good too, it really encourages root growth.

1 Like

Lately I’ve been hearing that combining bottom watering with deep soaks from above is a good idea. Something about flushing out? But don’t we want good stuff to stay in the soil? I’m curious about your thoughts.

1 Like

So yes, that’s what you are supposed to do. Bottom water weekly but then about once a month or so, depending on how hard your water is, you do a top soaking to flush out the minerals that build up. And if you only fertilize once a month you would do it at the tail end of the flush out watering.

2 Likes

This helps a lot, thank you!

I love these these big ol’ leaves! Big for me, for sure. And the philodendron birkin’s new pretty leaf and new one on the way.

9 Likes

I’ve got one of those (bottom picture). It grew wonky from too much sun last summer, and really struggles to get the leaves out of it’s sheath?.
It’s cold where I am at the mo… and the other plant (I love , it moves by light , phototropic,

has some dry edges and I’ve never been able to solve the issue. The soil grows a bit of mould if it’s too wet?. So I can’t water the plants too often…

6 Likes

Oh, he’s beautiful!! I love orchids!:smiling_face_with_three_hearts::heart_eyes:

When the new baby leaves get stuck like that it’s because they need more ambient humidity. A humidifier set to 60-70% will do wonders. Your Stromanthe is a dramatic type that needs lots of humidity, only filtered water, and lots of indirect sunlight.

3 Likes

Hoya flowers :bouquet: so pretty and delicate! Like a little velvety Barbie bouquet! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Well, that’s what l did with my Mum’s Hoya blooms when l young!
Celebrate with a Ken and Barbie Wedding-they were the perfect size for the purpose!

1 Like

Thanks :pray:. Do you use humidifiers because of the plants? Or because of where you live?.
I only have a tiny humidifier that I recently found and bought because of my eldests asthma…
Can I spray the plants maybe ?

I have moved to the bathroom hoping it will enjoy humidity and morning sun only, the aloe thrives in here!

5 Likes