People in Recovery and Plants!

Omg! And my Monstera is giving me a new baby!

I’m spoiled.

9 Likes

A good few new leaves coming out among my plant housemates, but this is perhaps the most striking of the photos I took today. My baby Madagascan Jewel.

And my Bird of Paradise, although the leaf is taking its time to unfurl.

10 Likes

I love looking at y’all’s plants! Figured I’d share what I was doing at work today

Bougainvillea propagation for late winter/next springs bookings!

Basically making the greenhouse look like this:

12 Likes

STELLA!!! Im home. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Look at you girl.
@Its_me_Stella

9 Likes

Oh wow she looks great!!!

2 Likes

Ya you do :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Help please! This is one of the plants that I bought about a month ago, I think it’s some kind of fungus. What do I do, how do I treat or get rid of it? I checked all my others, and this is the only one. The plant itself looks fine (for now?).

@PlantLady19
@Its_me_Stella
@SassyRocks

1 Like

Now I see something in the pic on the leaf that I don’t see with my eyes :thinking:. I remember a plant person said at our office for infection on leaves, use dish soap and water to clean.

Update on the Bird of Paradise: New leaf has unfurled.

Also several very discrete “flowers” on this plant.

2 Likes

Hard to say from the picture. Could be powdery mildew, gray mold or might be mealybugs. Looks most like gray mold to me. You would want to remove any leaves with it and wash the other leaves down.

Are you watering a lot? Could be powdery mildew from over water. They like to dry out between watering.

Keep us posted!

1 Like

It did show up after I watered it I think. But I stuck my finger in the soil and was really dry. I’m going to remove to top soil and wash down the leaves. Thank you!!

2 Likes

If that doesnt work i have had to take a plant out of the soil completely, wash all the leaves and the base of the plant because sometimes the mold is right around the base, wash the pot and give it fresh soil.

Are there any little gnats flying around?

1 Like

Hi Stella! It’s definitely over watering, the soil was very wet on the top, and yes!! I’ve seen a couple gnats in the past couple days, i couldn’t figure out where they were coming from. They were attracted to the light board that I’m using for the diamond painting.

What do you suggest to kill them? Theres a lot of different suggestions online.

1 Like

Fungus gnats are terrible. They lay eggs in the soil so def repot the plant and wash out the pot. Typically I have seen some wiggly larva in the drain plate where the hole of the pot is. (So gross)
They can be super shitty to get rid of and if I get pissed off sometimes I have resorted to spraying the soil with raid and… it works!!!

3 Likes

I’ve had good luck with letting the soil dry out completely and using the yellow sticky traps to catch the adults to stop the breeding cycle. Interestingly enough, I have more problem in wintertime with fungus gnats.

2 Likes

After I read your post, I removed the top layer with the white stuff and all the damp soil and threw it away. I do have indoor plant pesticide so I sprayed the top soil and leaves. I don’t have the potting soil tonight to repot. I’m usually good at never over watering plants. This one was soaked when I bought it and when I checked it last week, I thought is was dry so it was the first time I watered it.

2 Likes

I read something on Google about sticky traps, also vinegar and peroxide, not together.

1 Like

Hi! You’ve gotten great advice so far so I just want to talk about that plant. It’s a Draceana Massangaea and they hold most of their water in the stump, plus they like to dry out between watering. You shouldn’t be watering this plant more than once every couple of months, depending on your conditions. It wants to dry out completely and then stay dry for a few weeks. I don’t water them until the leaves go from firm to kinda floppy, then I wait a few more days, then I water it thoroughly. The gnats and the mold are both from soil that stays moist too long so you should be able to eliminate all issues once it’s not watered much. Good luck!

2 Likes

Also, dish soap is really hard on leaves, I do a mixture of insecticidal soap and neem oil for cleaning and pest prevention.

Thank you so much for that info! It helps me to know how to water and that one was definitely over watered. I couldn’t believe how heavy and soaked it was when I bought it. I didn’t know they hold water in the trunk. The top soil is dry on top now since I removed about an inch and tossed yesterday. I won’t be watering for quite a while.

I like when plants tell me, I have a (I want to say peace lily) that completely droops when it wants water, then I water and it springs back up.

Thanks again, have a great day! :sunflower:

1 Like