People in Recovery and Plants!

Yeah, I like those kind of dramatic plants too, they are fun! They have no problem asking for what they need. Lol

1 Like

When I researched the care on that one, the person that described when to water said:

Think of a teenager laying on the couch not wanting to do anything. Then you water :grin:

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy: classic!

1 Like

I just noticed these tiny flowers on my foxtail fern. I had no idea they flowered!

6 Likes

Plant happenings

New plants, new pots, new growth

First babies plucked from the agave I bought 3 days after I moved to the desert last summer. Might’ve “birthed” the smaller one too early, but time will tell.

12 Likes

I believe that is an asparagus fern, not a foxtail. Love the blooms, they make nifty cut greenery for cut flower arrangements as well. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This is what I bought but true enough it only comes up as asparagus fern on my plant ID app. I really love it though, and can picture it as you describe in a cut flower display.

2 Likes

Ah well, mislabeled perhaps. I have a couple of asparagus ferns, we had foxtail ferns back in Florida.

Cut flowers from our garden with asparagus greenery…

And out front…

They are doing MUCH better than the Boston ferns I had out there…plus the Japanese beetles LOVE the Boston ferns, don’t seem to care for the asparagus. Tho they do seem to like the zinnias, which sucks. Oh well, adventures in gardening.

8 Likes

Tiniest agave ever?? So cute. I thought it was an aloe before I read your post.

I adore all your succulents. Mine are barely holding on here after wintering in too cold weather. I have managed to keep a few tillandsias alive tho.

What is that first one you shared? Have never seen one before!

5 Likes

These are all amazing little beauties! :heart:

1 Like

I’m hoping it makes it. It didn’t have any roots of its own, but there was a few small nubs of the start of roots. Coincidentally I just tipped that tiny pot over and it spilled everywhere, but the agave didn’t budge so that’s a good sign that it’s taking.

Pleiospilos Nelii, “living stones”/“split rocks”. Interesting things.
A lot of the more interesting/exotic stuff I have, like this, are all from the same Karoo Desert region in South Africa.

2 Likes

@SassyRocks

Flowering asscracks.

5 Likes

Very cool!

@Its_me_Stella …bwahahaha!!!

4 Likes

Usually a south-facing window is the preference, 8-12 hours sunlight if possible. If that isn’t doable, you may want to supplement with a grow light. You can get LED ones (which won’t get hot/pose a fire risk, and also can get full-spectrum UV) for very cheap on Amazon. I had a 3-headed flexible gooseneck one that would clamp onto the side of the table when I was growing these in Massachusetts and couldn’t rely on the sun like I can here.
Real sunlight is best but a grow light is better than not enough light.

Allow soil to dry completely between waterings. You can get a sense by how heavy or light the pot feels. Rule of thumb, it’s better to underwater than overwater - you can always add more water, no way to remove excess. In winter when getting less light and not growing, it will need very little water - if any at all.

It’s also best to water less frequently but more thoroughly. Water through until it runs out of the hole at the bottom of the pot (FYI - if not in a pot with drainage already, it will need to be in one). Frequent, shallow waterings won’t yield optimal results.

Terracotta pots are ideal (my preference, at least), as they are breathable and allow the soil to dry out more easily, but I don’t think it makes a massive difference as long as there’s a drainage hole.

It’s a lovely succulent (some species of echevaria, if you were wondering) and that flower is a beauty. Good luck!

4 Likes

I had meant to say, the 2 babies aren’t aloes, but the big spiny one in the same pic as the one in the square blue pot (8th pic) is an aloe. One of my favorites. Aloe Brevifolia. Someone here asked about it months ago and I had misidentified it as an Aloe Crosby.

All those little things coming out the bottom will be new aloe plants - which I could also pluck and grow solo, but I am going to let this one cluster (which is why I got it that new bowl the other day). My last count was 7 babies. That’s one prolific mama plant.

Speaking of the one in the square blue pot, I want to highlight that one. Just got it a few weeks ago. Tephrocactus Geometricus. Rare cactus, and easily the most I have ever spent on one plant (serious buyer’s remorse for like a week).

But eventually, it will grow into THIS, assuming I don’t do anything stupid.

7 Likes

Hey all! It’s been awhile. I’m going to be in a wedding in September and we are carrying succulent bouquets. Love this idea.

9 Likes

I thought this baby rubber plant (peperomia obtusifolia) was putting out some rather long new leaves until I looked closely…it has “flowered”! Peperomia put out these funky long stem looking flowers. So cool!

So much new growth on the Chinese evergreen, too.

9 Likes

Well…decided to make a chop on this “dragon tail” Rhaphidophora Decursiva. Going to try and root it in water. Wish me luck! I’ll be setting it up eventually to climb, also. New growth on both bits.

4 Likes

@PlantLady19 Hi Jessica. Do you or anyone have care tips for a Croton, watering, misting?

Mine was dropping a lot of leaves but I realized it was probably due to being too close to an AC vent, so I moved it next to to my previously over watered plant that several of you helped me with. :hugs:

2 Likes

Plant gone wild…

And she is making a flower…

I looked into propagating these but I have to divide the mother plant. Ugh… I think I will let her tale over my house instead.

7 Likes