Please help me I’m about to cave

I am soooo close to having a drink I’m at a company dinner and people are drinking and I’m only on day 5. I can’t just get up and leave because my work doesn’t know what I’m going through and I don’t want them too. Idk what to do guys please help.

14 Likes

Nothing is more important than staying sober right now in these early days. Can you say there is a family emergency and you need to step out? What’s the drinks situation, can you go get a soda and lime and keep it in hand making it look like a drink? You can always just leave, really, and then make you apologies saying you weren’t feeling well. Cmon, you can do ANYTHING other than drink and if this environment is triggering you the best thing is to get out. Say you were feeling sick to your stomach. Say you had raging diarrhea. Just do something, don’t sit with this urge.

15 Likes

"I’m not feeling well, I’m sorry but please excuse me."And leave.

13 Likes

Do you need me to call you to tell you theres a “family emergency”?

10 Likes

I am trying so hard but the urge is real and idk if I can do it im shaking im resisting so bad is that normal?

6 Likes

Play the tape forward. You know what happens after that first drink. You’ll be sooo happy and proud when you show up to work with no shame or anxiety about what you might have said/done.

You got this!

8 Likes

Just get up and go to a meeting

9 Likes

Yes it’s normal and you need to trust your gut. You’re struggling and you need to act on your instinct that you’re in danger of drinking.

9 Likes

I mean possibly but they are doing a speech for the next hour I can’t just leave I this thing was mandatory

4 Likes

You can leave. Your personal wellbeing depends on it

7 Likes

Start coughing and say it’s Covid

14 Likes

Get a sparkling water with lime. It will give you something to hold and so you don’t feel “left out” …?

7 Likes

Make your apologies for having to leave and I’m sure there is something you can do to make it up. There are always things that come up with people and work is work. Life is more important.

8 Likes

Can you sit through the speech and then leave?

4 Likes

Are they paying you to be there? Tell them you shit your pants… do anything you have to in order to get away…

10 Likes

Clock out and go home. Ain’t nothing that mandatory.

12 Likes

I know it takes courage to get up and go in the middle of something important like that. Get your nerve, you’ve got it in you, I know it. Be brave! Be brave for your life and sobriety! You can do it!

5 Likes

Stay here on TS at the very least and keep talking.

3 Likes

Okay I’ll keep talking you guys I feel like I should leave. I’m soo sad that I even feel this way it just sucks. The early days are never what I’ve been able to get past and this it’s sad to say but I haven’t made it to five days of not drinking in a year……

8 Likes

Now is your time if you make it so. You can do this. Did you decide to leave, then? I think it’s the smartest thing you can do. Any consequences at work can be dealt with, it’s not the end of the world if you go.

4 Likes