Pleasurable activities

Hi there,

The thing I struggle most with when on my sober journey is finding other activities that I enjoy.
I need to keep busy. I also need to prove to myself that I can find pleasure in life without destroying it with booze. Also, distraction helps.

I also want to learn a new skill or two! Maybe I will finally learn to play guitar properly…ANYWAY, I was wondering , what do others list as their hobbies and pleasurable activities? I want more ideas:)

2 Likes

I walk everywhere: between 7 and 10 miles every day. Takes time but it keeps my weight down and I love seeing my city this way. I walk to different parks around my city, usually with a towel to sit on and a book to read. Since becoming sober I started going to see the ballet again— used to go as a child and always loved it. I go now once a week. I love it. I also go to see plays: was an English major and lived in NYC many years where the only drama I saw was my own. Now I see wonderful actors and plays on a weekly basis. I read fiction— novels and short stories. Used to read all the time and then drinking became my favorite past time. Now I’m back to the books and loving it. I go out to dinner with friends on a pretty regular basis, maintaining good friendships takes time and effort the older i get. I ride the ferry home from work on pretty days. Or now, I’m sitting out on my fire escape with my cat, watching the people go by while I listen to the blues.

12 Likes

Sounds fantastic. I studied Acting many years ago , adore the theatre also, but I don’t really know anyone that enjoys the theatre and would join me . It gives me an idea though, I could join a local amateur theatre company, that would surely keep me busy…
I love reading too. Sounds like you are really embracing life, love it.

2 Likes

I took guitar lessons for a while. I also took a drawing class. I enjoyed both but they haven’t stuck. I’m not sure. So far I’m just crazy busy driving my kids to their pleasurable activities. :joy:

2 Likes

I’ve been reading lately and I am going to sand and paint a small table that’s on the porch that we found at the thrift store. It’s an interesting wooden table—dovetailing, grooves. I’m feeling excited fix up the table and make it mine.

5 Likes

A few of my hobbies:

Music production: I got in to recording and mixing music. It’s something that can be started for for less than $100 (if you have a computer already).

Wood working: A few hand tools can get you started. I like to make planter boxes for my porch garden.

Hiking: A low cost/high reward hobby.

Cooking: We gotta eat, so learning the art and science of cooking/baking is not only fun, you gain a skill that not everyone has.

6 Likes

That sounds like a life a want to have :heart:

2 Likes

Martial Arts. It quickly went from hobby to lifestyle for me. I attend 3-4 classes per week, practice daily in the home fight gym I built, watch combat sports on TV, and read books about martial arts training programs. Martial Arts has made my life so much better.

3 Likes

Woodworking, exercise (biking, hiking, tennis, swimming, lifting), reading books, bingeing TV shows, cooking healthy, golf, concerts, playing cards with my wife & kids… (I could go on). :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Be a tourist in your own city, assuming you live in a city.

5 Likes

:open_mouth: How have I never done this?

3 Likes

Hello,I got myself back on my bicycle,I joined Meetup groups for hiking and exploring my city.
I check the public library calendar for free events and free movies.
Today I went to the farmers market,wandered around the shop’s and went on a bridge overlooking the river and read a book.
Meetup is a great place to start though,many activities that have nothing to do with drinking.
Oh,and Youtube has a lot of self hypnosis guided meditation posts.
I think the guys name is Michael Sealy,very relaxing.

2 Likes

Asian market’s are great for this.

2 Likes

Sometimes doing absolutely nothing is enjoyable.

Edit: My wife calls it the “noodle state”. It’s a mindfulness exercise where she tries to release all tension in her muscles and not worry about anything that causes stress. Another type of medition I guess. :thinking:

3 Likes

Yes! Music production is definitely something I would be interested in learning more about. What do you play?

Oh I would love to learn a martial art . I actually thought about enrolling my 4 year old daughter and myself about a year ago but I couldn’t go through with it. I am not comfortable doing activities in groups :frowning:

I do, Sydney. Not really sure where I could explore here though…

Mostly guitar, but pretend to play little of everything else; drums, bass, banjo, mandolin, ukelele, piano. :grin:

I’m not good and staying still. That’s probably all the more reason to try it though.

Oh nice. I pulled my daughter’s ukulele out a couple of days ago and I put on a couple of YouTube tutorials. It’s supposed to be one of the easiest instruments to learn.

1 Like