Poison dreams starting

Not sure how many on here get them, but they have started for me and thank god they are just dreams. I woke up today and it took a minute for me to realize I wasn’t hungover. It certainly felt real enough. I had to honestly sit there for a quick min and try and remember what I had done the night before. I’m so new to the steps, but isn’t it in there somewhere that in our subconscious minds we will always have thoughts of being alcoholics? Like I said I’m very new to all this and haven’t read all the big book.

6 Likes

Aye mate. Had one the other night. Only my fourth.
So real at the time I was full of shame and guilt. Didn’t know what I was going to say to you lot.
I’m two years sober.
Thought I’d left that sort of thing behind.

3 Likes

I am new to recovery once again but there was a point in my life that I had 3 years clean and sober. The dreams for me felt so real but they did over time decrease in intensity and frequency. I’ve heard that to be true for others as well. Even at the 2 or 3 year mark I would get dreams or thoughts, but like I said, they would rarely happen.

3 Likes

Oh my gosh, I almost posted about this the other day, the same thing! I dreamt that I drank and was hungover in my dream, and I woke up mortified, feeling like it was real for a moment. Man, it felt terrible. I’m still trying to process how I feel about it overall. I searched this forum and found lots of other posts about drinking dreams so I guess it’s something we get to grin and bear. :unamused:

4 Likes

I had dreams about drinking more frequently in the first 6 months of sobriety. I have had one, maybe 2 from then til now. It’s always a relief to wake up sober!

3 Likes

they still happen to me and they really do suck. :sleepy: but it does feel wonderful to realize you aren’t actually hungover!

3 Likes

It seems to be pretty common, the dreams. I had a pretty vivid and intense one the other day because I had been watching the movie Candy the night before. But it barely affected me emotionally, and I was able to forget it and not let it ruin my day, and you can get to that point too.

3 Likes

Such a blessing to realize they are dreams. So much better than waking and saying “oh no” and it is a reality. Every day I wake up sober is a gift.

3 Likes

Someone told me today after many years sober they still get them! I guess when you have so many years experience that the dreams would be like driving or something redundant.

Wow! Even after 15 years! That’s wild.

1 Like

Yeah, it was all too real. Like I felt like if it stood up I would have staggered or something. So so real. Also, so so glad it was not :wink:

I’m hoping they decrease with time for sure. That’s for the input. The mind is a nut job!

Agreed. It was shaky town for a min till reality set in.

1 Like

I’m unfamiliar with that movie, but another friend from the program told me after watching requiem for a dream he woke up in a pile of sweat! :tired_face: I’m just going to chalk up the year to a lot of rough spots.

1 Like

I was telling someone today that I actually kind of just a little bit like them cause it keeps me on my toes and reminds me not to screw this up! And yes, the feeling of being sober after I realized it was just a dream was tremendous!

Requiem for a Dream was always really tough for me to watch. But i think now I could probably get through it with few issues or triggers. It really is a great movie with amazing cinematography and a brilliant original score. It’s one of my favorites.

1 Like

I really like that one as well. My first time watching it, me and my girlfriend at the time couldn’t believe what we had just seen. Such a great cast too!

1 Like

I remember feeling that way too. Actually the first time I saw it, I had never used drugs, and I remember feeling deeply drawn to it with a kind of morbid fascination. Kind of sad, really.

1 Like

Sad it is, but I would be lying to you if I said I wasn’t a little more than curious to get high after seeing that one. As brutal as it was it also romanticizes the using aspect. That was until it took just under 12 years for all my friends to die from it. I even had a friend lose his arm just like in the movie. He’s clean now, but he just lost one of his eyes due to life long complications. It just take and takes till nothing is left. I’m so happy for you and the time you have clean. You and everyone else on here are very much vivid inspiration to me day to day now.

1 Like

I’m so sorry for all that loss you experienced. I never had any friends that passed on, can’t imagine how deeply that must have impacted you.

I always thought that maybe it was this lifelong fascination that I’ve had with tragedy, like it’s actually an experience to be strived after. I wish the darker side of life wasn’t so fascinating to me.

How much clean time do you have now?

1 Like