Polyglots of TS unite!

Inspired by this topic: Talking Language

We have so many people from around the globe here. I’m curious how many languages do you speak? At which level?

I’ll start.

• English (native tongue)
  • German (once at C1 level, but it’s probably regressed to B2 by now)
  • I studied Spanish in high school, but forgot most of it :frowning_face:
6 Likes

What’s C1 and B2 level?

I’m old school, when I was in school we had year 1-3 but that was in upper secondary school.

I speak

Swedish (native)

English (native)

Romani Chib (native, but probably not on native level any more, it’s been years since I used it everyday)

French Beginner level (Studied school years grade 5-9)

Spanish Beginner level (studied upper secondary grade 1-3)

I understand more Spanish than French though.

Currently Trying to learn Esperanto, and have been doing so for about 1,5 years.

But sometimes I doubt that I actually do speak any language fluently because like most cases when you’re bilingual or multilingual you forget words in the language you use at the moment. And just say it in whatever language that gets first to your head.
So it becomes a mix of it all. :smiling_face:

4 Likes

German: I survive.
English: I survive.
French: I survive.
Spanish: basics. Understand some.

11 Likes

English - native
Spanish - I can get by. I used to be close to fluent.

4 Likes

I was raised bilingual English and Spanish. My abilities have ranged over the years in regards to Spanish, I did an intensive program in college that required several courses where only Spanish was spoken and it included some literature classes. I am woefully out of practice speaking it, I will admit. It would come back very easily with a reason to use it. But my understanding of it and various accents and dialects has expanded due to my family participating in sharing Instagram/Tic Tocs with each other!

5 Likes

Dutch - native
English - close to native
German - understand it very well, speak it soso
French - comme ci comme ca
Spanish- un poco pocito
Frysian - understand it ok, talking hardly

8 Likes

I so can relate to this!!! And my grammar in both languages is subpar but I wouldn’t trade it for the world. My English writing sometimes suffers because of my brain working differently being raised bilingual so I have had to work extra hard in the past in professional settings and times where I’ve been editing things.

3 Likes

Polish
English communicative
Dutch communicative but less than english
Russian basic (can read and write Cyrillic tho)
I know some words in Romanian but I wouldn’t even call it basic lvl

5 Likes

Dutch - native
English - near native
German - speaking ok
French - beginner

For all languages it holds that I hated spelling and grammar while learning them :see_no_evil:. Especially German.

5 Likes

English - Native
Spanish - very lttle
ASL - can get by

4 Likes

You all are so sophisticated! I speak English (native) and I understand enough Spanish to get by. I have not spoke it in years.

4 Likes

English (native)
French (about the same, but was my 2nd language)
Spanish (probably beginner level or so)

3 Likes

English - native
American English - I can understand it but it takes some effort

7 Likes

The solid reason why I never choosed German, the grammar makes absolutely no sense.

2 Likes

English and Geordie :rofl:

2 Likes

German - native
English - fluent
Spanish - fluent, actually my main language - I’ve been living in Spain for 30 years
Dutch - close to fluent
French - un petit peu
Catalan - close to fluent (don’t really count that one… )

5 Likes

I think you do more than survive, after all you live in Germany,

All of our conversations are in English cause we both know I don’t know German so don’t put your self down your a lot smarter than you believe

1 Like

There’s a difference ?

Or you just referring to our shitty slang

1 Like

English native,

Spanish from fluent to holding it together like others just to make it work, I haven’t had alot of use for it since I left my old job when I got sober or so I thought, I realized I would use it everyday, I’m slowing relearning through friends and various internet stuff

2 Likes

Finnish - native
English - fluent
German - can survive
Swedish - used to be fluent, not anymore
Italian - basics / very little

2 Likes