Post-detox vitamin supplements - how long do I have to keep taking them? In your experience

Hey guys,
New on this site. During my recent residential detox I was put on vitamin supplements (and other prescription meds) and I have had to buy them now that I am home. I am wondering if they should be for a specific amount of time while the body is healing after long-term alcohol abuse, they do their job and all is normal again… Or are they forever going to be needed? They cost a bomb too as my dosages are so high!
Thiamine
B12
D
Magnesium

I’d really appreciate any info as I forgot to ask the dr at detox!!

3 Likes

Welcome Susy! Glad you’re here. This forum has been a tremendous help to my sobriety.

Can you give the detox a call and ask them or maybe your primary physician? I see from another post, you’re coming off both benzos and alcohol so the time frame may vary. We’re all just a bunch of alcoholics and addicts not qualified to give medical advice.

6 Likes

Thanks @Lisa07

I just thought someone may know from experience, but you are right, I will talk to my GP.

Thanks again :blush:

2 Likes

Hey Susy

these vitamins are good for good health if you are not getting them naturally from foods naturally - not just for detox.

i personally am on b shots and take b6 daily due to being a vegan. i also take loads of Vitamin D for my chronic fatigue and Magnesium when i need help with sleep. I do get my blood tested every 6 months to make sure my vitamins are on level and i am not under or over doing anything.

I would definitely talk to your GP and request a blood test to see if you have any deficiencies. You may need to keep these up for a month or so to get you back to regulations especially since you are early in your sobriety.

Best of luck my friend.

6 Likes

Well, I wish you tons of luck on this endeavor of getting sober. It’s tough to get sober. One day at a time!! What gets me is people that are alcohols think you should not smoke weed either. What’s the difference between cigarettes and weed?? So, if I go off weed too, I deal with my PTSD depression which i get it, life is better without drugs but you are alone in your chronic depression. I do take antidepressants. Best of wishes to everyone!!!

1 Like

Thanks @JazzyS :smiley: I am seeing my GP weekly at the moment, so good idea re getting bloods taken to see if there are any deficiencies. I might wait another month or so as I have only been taking them for 3 or so weeks.

Just out of interest, I am not sure where this site is based, I saw something about Canada yesterday and I am in Australia. Where are you based? I like the idea of connecting with people from other places!

Enjoy your day :smiley:

2 Likes

This is smart for sure. Glad to know that you are on top of your health.

People from all over the world on this site - that is what allows it to be active 24 hours a day :slight_smile:
Australia - lovely – soo awesome to connect with people from all over – I am in the USA - Michigan

3 Likes

Hey Suzy, welcome. I can tell you I like Jasmine take vitamin D, Vitamin B complex and magnesium. I suffer from Major Depressive Disorder and my psychiatrist said that she found most people that suffered from depression were lacking in vitamin D. She also recommended magnesium to help keep the brain clear. She takes it herself and states she can always tell when she’s not taking it. Doesn’t help with depression, but just helps to keep the brain sharp. I hope that helps. :blush:

3 Likes

Thanks @DanaM56!

That is helpful, it’s good to have more natural supplements to help with MH as well as healing after detoxing from alcohol. Day 25 for me :slight_smile:

I am fairly new to this site and it’s great to hear from people from other parts of the world! I am in Melbourne, Australia. Do you mind if I ask where you are based?

Have a great day/night .

1 Like

I’m in the United States. Arizona to be exact though I grew up in Southern CA. I can say this app and the community has helped me stay sober. Everyone has been supportive when I’ve felt the urge to drink. I’ll come hear and there is always someone online to support. :blush:

2 Likes

That’s good to know @DanaM56, thanks. It’s great to hear the perspectives of people from the other side of the world!

Have a great weekend :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just checking in my friend - how are you doing with the supplements? Again - great job on 4 weeks / 1 month of sobriety

1 Like

Thanks so much for your message. I’m taking all the supplements and other meds (some are also for medical reasons). I said to my GP I would like to have a blood test to check vitamin levels in a month or so and we’ll adjust dosages if needed. Last week I asked him for a liver function blood test and I got the results yesterday. In March my GGT count was over 400 and the most recent test result was 84. That was from just under 3 weeks of not drinking and maybe some of the vitamins, not sure, but I was shocked and happy at the same time :smiley: I hope you are doing well? :two_hearts:

2 Likes

This is amazing… grateful that your body is showing signs of healing. Keep on the sober track my friend - it’s filled with healthy rewards

1 Like