Pregnancy worries

Hi all my fellow mums and mums to be!

I have found out I’m pregnant and due in July, I’m super excited I have always dreamed of motherhood. I’ve not drunk during my pregnancy I’ve been sober over 7 months now, but I can’t help but worry about my history of years of binging and what it’s done to my body and now that might effect my birth and my baby. I’m scared about talking to my midwife about it. Just wondered if anyone had similar experiences or could put my mind at ease? Thanks!

10 Likes

You really sound like a loving and joyful mom to be who wants nothing but the best for her baby. The best way to do that is to love yourself enough to talk to your midwife as soon as possible because the more time goes by the less time you have to give you and your baby everything you both need and deserve.

2 Likes

I’m not a mother but I am a step father, an uncle, a father to 4 of my own, and a foster parent to 3.

Hopefully my share is helpful and encouraging for you.

3 Likes

Absolutely talk to a professional. If you haven’t had a drink during pregnancy, I think it will be fine. I drank right up to conception, and started again as soon as breastfeeding ended :cry:. I had no problems with birth (entirely pain relief free in the country I live in) and had plenty of milk. I will say that now I am sober I have so much more energy and patience to give to my kids. And have done left over to do some stuff I like. If you are already sober, you are in a great place from the get go. Congratulations and look forward to your lovely sober mum life :purple_heart:.

4 Likes

Congrats on the pregnancy! It is an exciting time but I remember it was also a time when you tend to worry about a lot…definitely talk to your midwife / doctor because they can best advise you on every aspect of your pregnancy.

Mother of two here, drank until I got pregnant with my first and - gotta give it to nature - wine tasted absolutely disgusting when I got pregnant.

Didn’t have a drop of alcohol during pregancy and was very mindful of what I was eating (very healthy) and drinking during pregancy (no caffeine, no soda), moderate exercise and so on…

Have been blessed with two healthy boys and part of my reasons to be sober is to be there fully for them. They are older now - 14 and 11, and you will hear it but not believe it: it goes by fast. Looking at my teenage son, I know it’s only a few years until he leaves home. I’m so grateful I can be fully present and an example of healthy living for them.

Sending love your way :heart:

2 Likes

Congratulations on the pregnancy, @Lozza! I’m glad you posted about your concern. As @Misokatsu said, if you’re already sober, you are in a great place! Your midwife will certainly be very supportive when you talk to her (or him). And for sure, they’ve probably seen everything before, and they’ll give you the best help and advice. It’s their profession.
I wish you and your baby the best in your pregnancy.

1 Like

Hey Lauren. Congratulations!! Fantastic news. A truly magical time :sparkles:
As others have said, definitely speak with your midwife.
Make sure you’re taking all the recommended vitamins etc. Folic acid is important, but I imagine you’re already on that :smiling_face:
Now is the time to indulge in all that self care. Try not to worry, look after yourself and enjoy this special time :heart: X

1 Like