Put down the bottle and picked up the gym bag

I can’t be the only one who went chasing another high and found myself in a gym. Turns out lifting weights and running are great at turning off the mind. Not only have I been able to stay consistent in my fitness and sobriety, but I am receiving positive feedback from the mirror from my lifestyle changes. Such a great motivator! Let me know about how you guys have coped and if you’ve tried the gym!

15 Likes

Hi! Welcome to TS. :wave: I don’t hit the gym often (I like outdoor exercise) but there is quite a fitness community here.

3 Likes

Yep I turned to running also. Anytime a craving hit or if I started to feel bored, I threw on my runners and headed out. It really helps me clear my head, refocus and feel better about myself :slightly_smiling_face:
As mentioned above there’s lots of us on here with some threads you can join into. This is one of them :slightly_smiling_face:

The forum also has a monthly excercise challenge - maybe you’re keen to join the April Challenge. Details will be posted here

4 Likes

Welcome to the community :raising_hand_woman:

Swimming is my favourite go to.

1 Like

This old guy still do my walks with my wife used to go to the gym and coach in my early sobriety i was young and hungry and it worked for me today at 71 and still sober i have different things that keep this old mind and body fit my gardening and my guitar and ,y fifa 23 on my Ps4 lol , and my traveling seeing the world while im fit enough to do so , i smoked and when i was going to the gym it was giving me breathing problems so cigs or gym and the gym won that was over 35 years ago now

7 Likes

@Ray_M_C_Laren thanks for your share. I enjoyed it. It gives me motivation to try to get back into strength training and walking. When I had a routine, I felt better mentally and physically.

1 Like