Quit like a woman

You know those books where once you start you can’t stop? That is this book for sure. I’ve teared up a few times and I’m only on chapter 2 of quit like a woman. My parents divorced at the same age as her, 14 and that just makes it feel even more relatable. Gosh I love it. :face_holding_back_tears:

13 Likes

One of my very favorite quit lit books!!! I also really liked Girl Walks Out of a Bar…This Naked Mind and about 100 other ones. I have a huge list if you are interested.

Enjoy!!

5 Likes

I’d love to hear more! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: thanks!!

2 Likes

I have been reading them for 10 years, so it is a big list…

7 Likes

I think I’ll check this out! My parents divorced when I was 14 too. Clearly that’s a rough time! Thanks for the book recommendation.

2 Likes

One of the first books I read when I quit alcohol. I recommend it to everyone! Glad you are enjoying it too

2 Likes

I just remembered this was actually recommended to me by someone on the other end of the suicide hotline I was texting when I was in a deep depression and I told her I was thinking about getting clean again. :smiling_face_with_tear: for anyone who didn’t know you can text 988 if you are in a mental health crisis. I’ve connected with two women and they were both amazing.

4 Likes

That was me too, reading it. I curled up and was laughing and teary. I’ll be forever grateful to her for referring to alcohol as “jet fuel”. (It helps that I find the smell of any exhaust, especially from aircraft, nauseating and yucky.) Making that connection was huge for me. But even if it isn’t combusted jet fuel, it’s still… diluted poison. Sniffing a glass of wine became sniffing a glass of fuel. Not glamorous. So wtf was I doing pouring it into my body?

And I love the part where she says it’s better to feel guilty than resentful (or however she puts it) - guilty usually means we opted in favour of our boundaries! Still learning this one. :wink: :orange_heart:

5 Likes

Holly has a sobriety community on line. Tempest. You might want to check out.

2 Likes

I just had like a 10 year block bc I need books to be fast paced and intriguing and the book Girl In Pieces by Kathleen Glasgow brought me out of it. It’s so good. It’s about a girl who struggles with self harm and just has a turbulent life in general. There’s some good messy romance on the side. It’s relateable for me bc she’s very broken and has weird family stuff too. Its free on Wattpad but only like $8 on Amazon I recommend.

1 Like

Tw there is also talk of drug use in it as well.

And sex >.> Sorry my brain is all over the place LMAO

One of my favourite books! I just read We Are the Luckiest by Laura McKowen. She did a podcast with Holly at some point. Both excellent books.

3 Likes

Absolutely! The way she describes/explains what alcohol truly is the more I never want to drink again. I was teary eyed too more than once. Can’t wait to curl up and get lost in it again today :yellow_heart:

1 Like

14 is absolutely a tough age in general but especially to experience a divorce! I remember thinking it didn’t affect me but boy did my life go downhill from there. :frowning: I thought I was just having fun but I was escaping deep pain.

1 Like