Quitter's quit being a quitter on quittin' thread

Hi quitters. Im just another quitter. My rock bottom has come after 15 years drinking 5 of which have been heavy… every day.

I have been a functional alco… my drinking timeslot post 6pm then off to work next day. I have been an expert in hiding my degenerative behavior from work mates and most family.

My rock bottom has been both mentally and behavioral. Mentally i realized i cannot even watch news without becoming emotionally disturbed nearly to the point of tears… the news people. Yes. The news.

My head is all over the place due to years of alchohol abuse. I have forgotton what normal is. I feel like an anxious wreck.

Behaviorally… i have drink drove in the past… just last week i got behind the wheel after drinking 10 pints of beer. That is the second time. The first time i blocked it out this time its my rock bottom.

I have a wife and young kids i cannot do this and take these risks any more.

I am 7 days sober today.

Thanks for reading… wish i could say more but it has taken me forever just to type even this in my phone…

Please wish me luck i have had enough.

102 Likes

I do wish you luck. I was in a situation similar to you not that long ago. Been sober since Jan 21. It does get better and you will feel better. Allow yourself to feel good about yourself for every day, every hour that passes and you stay sober.

8 Likes

Welcome @Quitter!!! You’re at the right place here for a lot of support and people who know the feeling!!:four_leaf_clover:
I was a functional alco as well so i know what you mean… i hit my bottom by suddenly acknowledging that my black outs were not acceptable any more… on a monday meeting with the staff that works in my company… ambarrased and ashamed but i needed it to take the decision to finaly be ok with the idea that alco became my enemy and was no longer my "friend":pray:
Thanks to this forum and all the lovely people here i’m now at day 67​:rose::pray:
You can do it also!!! Keep your rock bottom in mind in case you have cravings… :four_leaf_clover:grts from belgium :turtle:

10 Likes

Good luck champ you’ve made the right decision and I really hope you pull through for the sake of you and your family.

It’s really not easy though, so be sure to take as much support and encouragement from as many places as you can. AA, counselling and daily prayer work for me.

Keep us posted with your progress

God bless

4 Likes

Thank you for your encouraging replies. I am still sober although I am finding it hard to think… “never again…” even though i know i have to.

I guess thats what one day at a time means.

Another day won is better than another day one.

8 Likes

Good luck…sounds like you’re ready to face this addiction head on…and win👍

3 Likes

I wish you all the best, but remember, just for today. Dont make it to difficult for yourself. Just think when you wake up, today I will not use. Ask your higher power (doesnt have to be God, but something bigger then yourself) to get you sober through this day. And if that its to hard, try just for an hour! You have to quit yourself but you are not alone!
Good luck today, you can do this!!

5 Likes

The days get easier as they go by, with a good support system behind you and surrounding your self with others that are sober you are golden. Mood swings will happen, temptation from the feeling the need to celebrate will happen. You just got to power through. The worse feeling for me was the guilt, and that is what has kept me sober. Don’t avoid people this holiday, have fun, celebrate sober and enjoy you family!!

7 Likes

I’m definately in your same shoes, except my drinking and driving has gotten more often and my crazy black outs have gotten worse. 6 days sober and counting. Keep strong, you’ve got this! If you ever need someone to talk to as a support, feel free to reach out to me. Best of luck on your journey

6 Likes

Congratulations on your 7 days, keep it up it is the HARDEST thing you’ll ever go through but well worth it! Be proud of yourself and stay busy, positive and productive!!! You can do it!!!

5 Likes

Again, thank you all so much for taking the time to reply to me and give me support and advice.

I really do believe it will get easier the more days i get through. I used to be a smoker for around 15 years but i managed to give them up two years ago… no nicotine since! Oddly enough today when i was driving home from work i got a craving and i wasnt sure if it was a nicotine craving or alcohol.

Very surprising feeling. I actually think i was craving cigarettes… its like my brain is going crazy on withdrawl and not knowing what way to process the lack of drugs in my system.

I am feeling strong today… i am not going to worry about the future but just today. Today i am sober again. Thats all that matters. I am typing on my phone so just trying to keep it short.

I really really appreciate all of your advice. And i thank you all again.

I am trying to compare this to when i gave up cigs… i couldnt see myself going a year without them the day i stopped and now its two years. Im going to hope i will feel like that with the booze.

Thanks for reading and i wish you all the very best in your sobriety too.

Kind regards.

12 Likes

Boom 10 days sober. moonwalks back out of thread

12 Likes

Day 11.

I got home from work. Did 1000 jumps on jumprope. (Not all at once im not superman ok) got a shower, got in pjs, ate a sandwich, made a cup of tea and played with my daughter local co op game on steam.

Was awesome. And i had so much more fun than normally sitting like a big useless heap downing tins of beer.

Its now 8.20pm and im in bed. Easy life. Staying focused. I really think i can quit for good this time.

There really is more to life than getting shit faced every evening. I am beginning to realise that now.

16 Likes

This is the first time I have heard of someone else and the emotional disturbance. I cry over commercials.

4 Likes

Good luck my friend. A sober parent makes a much better parent.

4 Likes

Congrats on making it a week so far! You can do this!! My significant other and my two step children are one of my biggest motivations to stay strong and stay sober. Keep going and never give up! You have a community around you that will always support you.

5 Likes

Thanks for all the kind and supportive replies. Yes, the children are absolutely the best motivation to remain sober. I mean, i havent been a terrible father. Just a bit useless if im completely honest.

I have enjoyed being “there” with them over the past two weeks. Playing and having fun. Not hungover like normal. I have been a lot better with them.

Parenting is a lot easier when you are not hungover.

Tomorrow evening will be 2 weeks sober. I am thinking of attending my first AA meeting. But i am apprehensive. I am not exactly outgoing and i am somewhat anti social by nature. Maybe the drink did that i dont know? But anyway… im not much of a talker so that is whats putting me off going.

Any tips or advice there?

On other news ive lost half a stone in weight in 2 weeks since i replaced boozing on beer every night with excercise and healthy(ish) eating. So im pretty happy with that.

Im trying to keep the focus because everyday i am thinking about drink. Every day. But i know from experience of giving up nicotine this will gradually fade to thinking about it every other day… then every 4 days… then every week… etc etc… just need to keep going.

My main problem when i have quit in the past is falsely believing i can reward myself with a pissup after like 30 days sobriety… but when i do that its not long before its daily calls to the offlicense again…

So embarrassing… you know the staff in one offies know me on first name basis… pathetic right? So i was ashamed at that so had to start buying my booze on a rotational basis at about 4 different places… seriously pathetic behaviour.

Anyway thats a story for the grandkids right? Shit!!!

6 Likes

One other thing that hit me hard today. I was in work and my colleague recently bought a nice bottle of scotch.

I asked him… so did you drink your scotch at the weekend? And he replied… “ha… yes i just had one.”

I know that i looked at him like he had two heads… but I AM the one with two heads. I could NEVER have “just one”. Never. Whats the point? I drink to get out of it. I drink with purpose to get hammered. ONE DRINK!?

And that is the difference between a responsible drinker and an alcoholic. And that is the reason i can never drink a single drink again. Its not in me to drink one. I cant. I just cant. Its no drinks or all of them.

And thats my admission of alcoholism. It depresses me but liberates me at the same time.

10 Likes

I also dont understand how or even why someone would just have one beer or one whisky etc. That just makes no sence at all to me.

I have never in my life had “just one”.

4 Likes

Thanks for the advice. Very helpful i will probably stay quiet for first year of meetings haha

1 Like