Quitting alcohol!

I am quitting drinking as of yesterday (today will be the first sober day.) I feel like I just drink too much and I get severe anxiety and panic attacks during the hangover day and pains I just don’t want to have anymore. My body is begging me to stop. I’m not the get up and drink type, but I have my fair share after work most nights. Any tips on getting through the first couple weeks or any advice that has helped any of you please let me know. I need all the help I can get. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

16 Likes

My advice? Keep busy, stay hydratated, eat healthy. If you still have alcohol ore empty bottles in your house get rid of it. If you have a spouse ore partner at home, tell him/her about your sober plan. Focus on today and this day only, one day at a time is douable.
Be around here much to read, write and ask for help when you need it.
When you type in “sober plan” above in de magnifying glass section you will find more practical tips.
Go get that sober life!
If I can, so do you :sunglasses:

8 Likes

Welcome Anastaysia.
Today is a great day to be sober.
Protect your sober date at all cost! The way I did that was by swallowing my pride and asking for help. Addiction is too strong for me to handle alone. We are stronger in numbers. This app has been a sober lifesaver for me. Have a good read around. Join in when your comfortable.

Here are two good threads to start:

7 Likes

The first time is hard, but it is geting better.
Lots of water, one day at a time and come here everyday. That helped me quitting 848 days ago.

4 Likes

Reading. Reading here, reading books, audiobooks while in the bath, speakers on YouTube. Surrounding myself with recovery/sobriety/hopefulness was/is especially helpful for me.
Continuous long-term sobriety does wonders for my anxiety, I hope you experience similar relief. Welcome.

4 Likes

Hello,

I struggle with the same thing. Find you a hobby. Like workout, do some house cleaning, or read. Anything to keep you busy. I’ve been working from home since Covid and having extra time on my hands makes it really hard to stay sober! Just stay busy these first few days and go from there. One day at a time! You got this :muscle:t4::muscle:t4:

3 Likes

Hi friend! So happy you’re here :relaxed::black_heart: I can relate to this very much. I was honestly doing the same. I would have a stressful day at work and would “reward” myself with a drink. I think what really helped me was to change the reward in my head. My new reward is feeling clear minding, waking up ready to go, not feeling groggy and no guilt! I am rooting for you! :relaxed::black_heart:

3 Likes

Welcome Anastaysia :purple_heart:

1 Like

Welcome to the sober community! You dont ever have to deal with the pain an anxiety of hangovers ever again, just dont lift that first drink. Good to see you here.:grinning::+1:take it easy and be well my friend

Welcome! It’s hard at first, but it gets better. I go for walks every night, drink coffee/tea. I have two kids, so they keep me busy.

Stay strong. You got this!

Welcome! You can do this. Keep checking on your “why” and be gentle to yourself. :+1: